WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
As you’re new I would recommend buying used. That way if you realise it’s not quite what you want and come across something else you can flip without much cost involved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,150 Posts
So, do you prefer watches with hands that go around or numbers that change as if by magic? Do you prefer watches that go tick, tick, tick, or boingboingboingboing? Do you prefer watches that wind themselves or ones that you wind every morning. Do you prefer watches that have lotsa hands or just one? Do you prefer watches that lose 20 seconds a day or watches that update by radio? Do you prefer watches that tell time or watches that you surf the internet with?

The categories go on and on...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So, do you prefer watches with hands that go around or numbers that change as if by magic? Do you prefer watches that go tick, tick, tick, or boingboingboingboing? Do you prefer watches that wind themselves or ones that you wind every morning. Do you prefer watches that have lotsa hands or just one? Do you prefer watches that lose 20 seconds a day or watches that update by radio? Do you prefer watches that tell time or watches that you surf the internet with?

Well, depend on the design and detail specifications.

·
Registered
96 Posts
So many choices.
There`s bling, there`s casual, there`s daily beaters, divers, the list goes on.
If you`re looking for accuracy go with Quartz.
Only you will know what you will be happy with, as we all have different tastes.

·
Registered
538 Posts

Well, depend on the design and detail specifications.

o-k

·
Registered
161 Posts
I don't want to be rude or to discourage you, but please give some rough guidelines for price, style/where you'll wear it, any preference at all at for even better understanding - post a couple of pictures of watches you find attractive. There are simply toooo many choices and we will have anarchy in no time 🙂
For example you could say : I am looking for a watch to wear in the office, under 42mm/12mm tall, formal environment, I prefer small and simple watches, must tuck under the cuff, I prefer bracelets, mechanism doesn't bother me, I am OK with boutique brands just for the fashion statement. The watch must have a date. Price under 500/1000 euro "dorra". Etc. Etc. Etc.

Tell us how you came to the idea of a watch - do you see a watch store that pulls you in, does your father/grandfather wear a watch and now you are curious?

At the moment what you are saying can be substituted with "blindly suggest a watch that I will randomly like" - this is OK, but people here are somewhat addicted to thias hobby and like details 🙂

On the point - if you want to test yourself if you'd like wearing a watch - get a seiko 5, orient, citizen Eco-Drive or something similarly affordable so you see if you are comfortable with it, if yiu like the style of that particular piece you pick up. Then and only then you should start thinking of stepping up with better knowledge of your likes and dislikes.
I'd start with a mid-size semi-formal watch with a simpler face, bracelet and 100m water resistance so you can either switch to leather or keep it on the metal, you could swim in a pool, look at either black or white dial so you can use it in many occasions... Some lume would be nice, go with quartz if you dont like the idea of setting the time and date every now and again, or go with automatic if you want the full addicted start and you don't mind the few seconds per day.
Also I strongly disagree with going on the used path - used demands servicing and if you are new you should reduce the variables. A great used watch can be .... if it's not serviced and can change your perspective drastically.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I think Hamilton or Alpina make some great entry level pieces that will give you quality and affordability. They are cheap enough that you can buy new and still own a reasonable Swiss watch. Also, you can get something sporty or dressy or anything in between. Over time your tastes will grow and change but these are good starter pieces.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Get a sub.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Well this is going nowhere fast.

I’d suggest you spend some time (months) trawling watch shop windows wherever you stumble across them until you find something which really visually appeals to you. Then use the seller, interweb and these fora to research your prospect and according to what you find either buy or move on. I trawled shop windows for three years before I found the watch which screamed “Buy me!” at me - and I did.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts