WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did anyone manage to procure their latest “grail” recently? Still saving for mine 😢

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
I bought mine many years ago. I no longer aspire to much in the way of watches other than the interesting (to me, anyway) Omega Planet Ocean 2021 America's Cup (which I will probably not buy due to the cost and difficulty obtaining).

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I bought mine many years ago. I no longer aspire to much in the way of watches other than the interesting (to me, anyway) Omega Planet Ocean 2021 America's Cup (which I will probably not buy due to the cost and difficulty obtaining).
I am pretty pleased that my own “grail” isn’t ridiculously expensive and I am quite happy with used. I have a PO I bought nearly 15 yrs ago and I love it, but I tried in the modern PO’s and found them a bit thick. That Americas Cup is a beauty though!

·
Premium Member
1,811 Posts
At risk of sounding pedantic, a "grail" is something that is by definition unobtainable.

I'm more than satisfied with the watches I have. Each of them, and sub-sets of them, addresses different wants and tells their own story. Will I buy more? Maybe. Will I kill myself chasing something beyond me? No.

Alongside the above, there are plenty of watches that I admire and that I'll never own. It doesn't make me like them less because, at risk of sounding like a bore, this hobby is about appreciation and that's much bigger than possession.

I could post photographs of dozens but for now, here's the Grönefeld Parallax Tourbillon in platinum and salmon (only five of these exist). In my humble opinion, it's an obscenely magnificent watch.

Gronefeld Parallax platinum salmon.jpg

·
Premium Member
11,934 Posts
At risk of sounding pedantic, a "grail" is something that is by definition unobtainable.

I'm more than satisfied with the watches I have. Each of them, and sub-sets of them, addresses different wants and tell their own stories. Will I buy more? Maybe. Will I kill myself chasing something beyond me? No.

Alongside the above, there are plenty of watches that I admire and that I'll never own. It doesn't make me like them less because, at risk of sounding like a bore, this hobby is about appreciation and that's much bigger than possession.

I could post photographs of dozens but for now, here's the Grönefeld Parallax Tourbillon in platinum and salmon (only five of these exist). In my humble opinion, it's an obscenely magnificent watch.

View attachment 15514965
i agree. None of the knights ever found the holy grail, right?

so my true grail would be a full grand complications wristwatch.

but for purposes of what i believe is the intent of OP, because of pandemic i made a list of watches I realistically wanted to get. I gave myself until 2026 to complete. Now 1/3 done.

·
Premium Member
2,814 Posts
Confession bear... I don't have a single grail. I do, however, have a list of "followed watches" on Chrono24 that I use to catalog watches I'm interested in, I guess you could call them grails.

Any one of those 49 watches could be my next watch, until I find something else I like. I'm not really wired to have a single watch that I would save to purchase. So the thought of having a single grail is foreign to me.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Confession bear... I don't have a single grail. I do, however, have a list of "followed watches" on Chrono24 that I use to catalog watches I'm interested in, I guess you could call them grails.

View attachment 15514970

Any one of those 49 watches could be my next watch, until I find something else I like. I'm not really wired to have a single watch that I would save to purchase. So the thought of having a single grail is foreign to me.
Lol, I do that too, but on a different platform

·
Premium Member
1,811 Posts

View attachment 15514970

When I checked in to this thread and saw your screen shot, I thought you had it open on the left tab.

·
Premium Member
1,811 Posts
Straight from Merriam-Webster
2 : the object of an extended or difficult quest.
A rather secular definition that overlooks the Biblical mythology behind the term...

Regardless, I agree with your methods: No chasing the unobtainable, no frivolous spend that eats into future financial security.

·
Registered
8,479 Posts
no comment on people and posts which use the word “grail” as a synonym for “most desirable.”

because soon enough, i’ll read something inane like “grail for sale” or “my third grail achieved.”

just call it what it is: the watch you wish to own and desire the most, but may never have.

see how that rolls off the tongue?

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
I always thought the definition of a grail was a cup or bowl.

The holy grail is the one that is considered unobtainable, though it is actually obtained in the Indiana Jones film (if not permanently.)

Just sayin.

·
Premium Member
2,329 Posts
The problem with grail is that new watches keep coming........as long as I have an interest in watches I will always have several grails, because I cannot buy all the watches that are really well made and good looking. I got a couple of watches this year that I had been chasing for a while, but there are more in the list. So the answer is - Yes and No.

Reactions: Terry M. and Jangus
1 - 20 of 55 Posts