WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a recently graduated grad student (read: poor!) who is going to Berlin for a conference in June. Very excited!!! I know there are many good German watches out there, but any good "starter" and relatively inexpensive watches I can buy in Germany while I am there in Berlin? Im looking at around $200

·
Registered
8,064 Posts
There are many great German watch brands from Lange and Glashutte Original at high-end to Nomos, Sinn and Stowa at luxury end. Germany is also home of many amazing micro-brands and interesting schools of design. Check out watchbuys.com for a nice sampling of various german watch-makers.

That said, $200 is a very touch price-point for a decent German watch. At that price you are better off w a Seiko or an Orient, which deliver good automatics at affordable price.

If you really have your mind set on a German brand, only ones I can think of that go this low are Junkers and Graf Zeppelin. These have some interesting, but largely derivative designs. Automatics would probably require $300+, but a quartz can be had at $200-250 range. Check out Amazon to get a sense of some Junkers and Graf Zepelin offerings. Here are some of their pieces that are closer to $200: (note - these are both quartz, w swiss quartz movt, but "made in Germany" label)

junkers-quartz.jpg graf-quartz.jpg

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks @EnderW, that Junkers is so beautiful! Can't wait to see it in person :)

I think i'll really save up a lot before I head to Germany to see if I can buy the automatic version of this...drool....beautiful. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Only with a very high Chinese or Japanese content.

e.g. Aristo, Tauchmeister, etc.
You can save up, or go with the Aristo, for example. It's still a decent watch. Or maybe a Laco Flieger will do the trick.
Otherwise, You have to look at Seiko, maybe the SKX009, and get a new strap from Strapcode.

Attachments

·
Moderator at Large
54,121 Posts
You might be better of ordering from amazon. Germany is not known for buying watches cheap. However, you will find a small selection of mechanical/quartz Davosa, Jaques Lemans, Junkers, Zeppelin, Fossil, Casio, Davis und Alpha at "Uhrwerk Mitte", ground floor S-Bahnhof Friedrichstrasse.

image.jpg

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Wow. Saw this on Amazon...

340 bucks?!!! Man, that is a nice looking chronograph. And the cherry on the pie is they took that ridiculously large Junkers logo and shrunk it to the point of disappearing.

OP, you're welcome.

Postscript: Oh, I noticed it's quartz. Still - it's pretty. I'd happily wear that on my wrist.

·
Registered
728 Posts
if you're an American these Germans can probably be had in the good ole USA for less. unless you're just deadest on getting a piece while you're there

·
Registered
107 Posts
You might be better of ordering from amazon. Germany is not known for buying watches cheap. However, you will find a small selection of mechanical/quartz Davosa, Jaques Lemans, Junkers, Zeppelin, Fossil, Casio, Davis und Alpha at "Uhrwerk Mitte", ground floor S-Bahnhof Friedrichstrasse.

View attachment 3832002
I was here almost exactly one year ago! Excellent suggestion and yes they do carry a range of German watches.

·
Registered
8,064 Posts
Uhh, if you were Junkers, why would you let that picture out with the second hand so off the mark??
Honestly it's pretty hard to tell from the picture if second hand is between the marks. The domed crystal and angle of the photo can distort it. But I can definitively tell you that many brands use pictures with second hands missing marks (quartz). Not defending Junkers here (like their designs, but not the name), but stating the reality of the industry
WAF1111.BA0801.jpg

·
Premium Member
15,749 Posts
Honestly it's pretty hard to tell from the picture if second hand is between the marks. The domed crystal and angle of the photo can distort it. But I can definitively tell you that many brands use pictures with second hands missing marks (quartz). Not defending Junkers here (like their designs, but not the name), but stating the reality of the industry
View attachment 3836058
Yeah, I guess I never noticed it before. Forgot to take my OCD meds today... ;-)

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
if you're an American these Germans can probably be had in the good ole USA for less. unless you're just deadest on getting a piece while you're there
In my recent experience... German watches can be purchased from EU online vendors for less than dealers in the USA!

> The Dollar to Euro rate is spectacular right now
> Whatever Euro price you see on a web page will have about 20% VAT deducted if shipped to USA
> USA vendors likely have stock they obtained when the Dollar to Euro rate was less favorable - Less chance for a discount
> Some USA vendors, notably Watchbuys & Island Watch, jack up the prices compared to EU prices

Plus - EU vendors will offer more models & colors than seen at USA vendors

Some of my favorite EU vendors I've dealt with who carry German brands:

Watches, watchwinders and watch boxes at BensonTrade. Worldwide insured shipping and quick delivery

http://www.mastersintime.com/?gclid=CJrRla-ZocUCFQ6OaQodPxEA-
<Free shipping to USA!>

[url]www.watch.de

[/URL]

Reactions: Swans21

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Uhh, if you were Junkers, why would you let that picture out with the second hand so off the mark??
I know it's anecdotal evidence but my the second hand on my Junkers G38 chrono is spot on straight up.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts