WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking into different ways to convert a pocket watch to a wrist watch but all the designs are either to big or to pricey. To be more clear I'm not talking about removing the movement and switching the case I'm just simply trying to find a way to wear an ordinary pocket watch but on my wrist. I know it sounds crazy what I'm trying to do but I want to know if anyone has any thoughts on this subject. Thanks

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Bad idea, pocket watches, unless they are modern with ETA 6497/98 movements, are not shock protected. Give them a good whack and the balance arbor will break.

·
Vint. Forum Co-Moderator
3,823 Posts
Thanks for the info I know what there called now. I just wish they'd make a smaller version of the Wristlet. It sucks when your into watches but you have small wrist!
Wristlets come in various forms and sizes both metal and leather. There was someone making them and a search on this forum should reveal them or just a general Internet search. Of the vintage ones some were made for ladies but the trick will be in finding something that fits both.

As noted whether it's a sensible idea is quite another story and again dependant on the size of the watch.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Have a look on the bay, look for watches from the Ukraine, they're all at it. No guarantees you'll ever get your's back though if you send it there!

·
Banned
4,045 Posts
Here are a couple of 1917 adverts for p/w holders.

military wristlet july 1917 signed.jpg JOFFRE 1917.jpg

Reactions: busmatt

·
Registered
503 Posts
You can find wristlets for sale on ebay. I have seen the listing before and i will try to look for it again. I mean you can find anything on ebay :)

Sent from my SHV-E160K using Tapatalk

·
Banned
4,045 Posts
Another old 1918 advert, this one is for a unique holder that puts the watch in the cover, and not on the strap.

1918 knyvett full.jpg

Patent diagram for the above.

1918 US1309988-0 knyvett patent.png

·
Registered
378 Posts
Reactions: busmatt

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Carrying a pocket watch on the wrist is nowadays a gimmick (like putting an alarm clock on a chain around your neck). There many ways, self-made or commercial products, to make this possible without making alterations on the watch itself. Then, very popular, especially on small ladies pocket watches, which have the right size, are brace-on handles applied to the case, taking regular wrist-bands. In any case, like it had already been said before, vintage pocket watches, unlike wrist watches, have technically not been made to be carried this way and are otherwise subject to damage and higher wear. This is different for newer and chaeper pocket watches, which often have a wrist watch movement inside.

·
Registered
9,498 Posts
Bad idea, pocket watches, unless they are modern with ETA 6497/98 movements, are not shock protected. Give them a good whack and the balance arbor will break.
. . . . In any case, like it had already been said before, vintage pocket watches, unlike wrist watches, have technically not been made to be carried this way and are otherwise subject to damage and higher wear. . . . .
Do either of you wear vintage wristwatches?

·
Vint. Forum Co-Moderator
3,823 Posts
I can't speak for them but I own an awful lot of non shock protected wristwatches with broken balance staffs. Few of which do I have any desire to pay a watchmaker to make up new balance staffs for. If only they were freely available from stock!

·
Registered
9,498 Posts
I can't speak for them but I own an awful lot of non shock protected wristwatches with broken balance staffs. Few of which do I have any desire to pay a watchmaker to make up new balance staffs for. If only they were freely available from stock!
What calibers?

·
Vint. Forum Co-Moderator
3,823 Posts
What calibers?
Well given my collection focus mostly early M&ST and L Tieche Gammeter calibres from the 1910's to the early 1930's. I'd really have to check to tell you which exactly. To be fair most are also cylinder which means paying anyone to work on them is relatively pointless given the low value.

·
Registered
9,498 Posts
Well given my collection focus mostly early M&ST and L Tieche Gammeter calibres from the 1910's to the early 1930's. I'd really have to check to tell you which exactly. To be fair most are also cylinder which means paying anyone to work on them is relatively pointless given the low value.
A few thoughts regarding your post:

Seldom will I cut a staff from scratch but more often select a very closely dimensioned application. This reduces the time and effort involved and on old well handled watches the resultant fit is often better than the OEM or the parts system replacement application.

Four (4) different parts cabals that I currently am or have been involved with are developing master cross referenced databases of applications for various parts. Staffs figure prominently in each of these programs. Accordingly, dimensions can now generate multiple indentifiers that may unlock some previously hard to decode horological treasure troves.

Pivotting cylinders is its own universe. I wish that I had procured/retained more of the tampon system material. Just as eltromechanicals have found a niche in the collecting world - perhaps so will the cyl..

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Do either of you wear vintage wristwatches?
Vintage wrist watches? Yes, on the wrist. Vintage pocket watches also yes, but not on the wrist. Whatever, my main area of collection is around old verge watches and pocket watches thereafter until 1940.

But to be honest, I rarely wear any watch after retirement (it was different under full steam in the job with more than 100 days a year in a plane which I had to get). I have the time in the car, the smart phone... There are watches hanging everywhere and I could even make someone happy asking for the time.

If I want to have accurate time on the wrist, it's a radio-controlled watch, solar powered. This gives me the time within +/- 1 second in 40 million years, automatic consideration of leap seconds (like on the 30th of June this year), necessary to cope with the slow down of the Earths' rotation, not to speak of always correct days and dates and no worries about summer and winter time. It goes to sleep after a certain period, firstly the seconds hand and and the altogether to save power if in the dark, even for months. I comes back with the first ray of light and synchronizes with the atomic clock.

I am a fanatic collector of vintage watches, but the emphasis is placed on 'collector', trying to keep things nice and neat. I am fascinated by the technique and it's development, but that is a different thing.

Two fingers between the sinking sun and the horizon is a time indication, which I do not have to compete against with something funny on my wrist, notwithstanding the fact, that you could carry around a Patek Philippe with a complete service every two years.

·
Registered
9,498 Posts
Vintage wrist watches? Yes, of course, with one exception only vintage - on the wrist. Vintage pocket watches also yes, but not on the wrist.
Due to pivot diameter being to a significant degree proportional to balance weight - the likelihood of breakage is not dissimilar irrespective of the actual size of the movement.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts