WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Odd that it has both Patek Philippe and Tiffany & Co. printed on the dial? Guess they couldn't make up their minds, eh?

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Fakes are worth a paddlin'.

8HBmrB8.jpg

Reactions: rfortson

·
Premium Member
21,865 Posts

·
Moderator Public Forum
10,282 Posts
Is that gold plate flaking off the bezel? Can you confirm that it is solid gold?
In any case you'll need to confirm that it is authentic and even then we couldn't give an accurate valuation.

·
Premium Member
21,865 Posts
Is that gold plate flaking off the bezel? Can you confirm that it is solid gold?
In any case you'll need to confirm that it is authentic and even then we couldn't give an accurate valuation.
If it's gold plated, then it's fake. But, if it's solid gold, then one might have the real deal.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
So many uninformed reactions. Tiffany and Patek have been co-branding since 1851. See https://www.tiffany.com/watches/patek-philippe-tiffany/explore

This watch was an inheritance from the 90 some year of mother of a friend who passed away a few years ago, and him and his sister are trying to determine its worth to fairly divide her belongings. Their mother had this, other watches, and jewelery in a safe deposit box with a list and valuation. It belonged to her mother who was born in 1899, and this was a 65th birthday gift. Thing is, my friend's sister took it to a place to get valued, and the value they gave her was 10 times more than what's on that list. So, to help my friend out, I came here to get a ballpark sense of what this could be, thinking that there may be knowledgeable folks here. Thanks, mleok and glenno, for serious responses.

Attaching original photo of front and one of back with inscription with my friend's grandmother's initials and date of her 65th.

No flaking, just age, since this is 54 years old, and was used by two generations.

6f1af6fd840de52677d4aa9af927706e0ef219aa-1.jpeg

6f1af6fd840de52677d4aa9af927706e0ef219aa-3.jpeg

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Thing is, my friend's sister took it to a place to get valued, and the value they gave her was 10 times more than what's on that list. So, to help my friend out, I came here to get a ballpark sense of what this could be, thinking that there may be knowledgeable folks here. Thanks, mleok and glenno, for serious responses.
I’m not understanding, why is it that your friend wouldn’t trust the valuation that they were given? Is it because the valuation is to good to be true, or is it now that such a high valuation has been given, they are wondering if the watch could be worth more? In either case, was the valuation given by a trusted source?

Reactions: rfortson

·
Moderator at Large
54,121 Posts
Co-branding of Tiffany and Bucherer jewellers (and others) with Patek and Rolex (and other famous watch brands) have been very common those times. Nothing odd. Has become more rare nowadays, Wempe for example still did it (Chopard, Vacheron, Audemars, IWC to name just four).

Tiffany old

DBAFE74A-D4DD-434B-8A4E-10686BCB337F.jpeg

Wempe nowadays

008EA3EC-1BE8-46C4-90EA-4E7F949B7A81.jpeg

Pics borrowed from www.

·
Registered
9,982 Posts
My mom had a platinum version of nearly the same watch, and of the same vintage, which I inherited--I had it cleaned/overhauled and sold it for about $3500 a few years ago--the going rate at the time for something in this ball park (the guys who chimed in "fake" at first glance might want to think twice before responding without any idea of what they're talking about...) I would not place too much stock in the appraisal assessment--I have found such valuations often well out of line with actual sales value in the used market. As noted, above, the owner does need to have it verified for authenticity, and perhaps have it cleaned, lubed and adjusted to maximize its sales potential.

·
WatchUSeek Administrator
38,402 Posts
...Thing is, my friend's sister took it to a place to get valued, and the value they gave her was 10 times more than what's on that list...
How long ago was the list created? Why is it hard to believe the watch has increased in value when the price of gold alone has increased over $1K an ounce over the past 20 years?

·
Registered
349 Posts
So many uninformed reactions. Tiffany and Patek have been co-branding since 1851. See https://www.tiffany.com/watches/patek-philippe-tiffany/explore

This watch was an inheritance from the 90 some year of mother of a friend who passed away a few years ago, and him and his sister are trying to determine its worth to fairly divide her belongings. Their mother had this, other watches, and jewelery in a safe deposit box with a list and valuation. It belonged to her mother who was born in 1899, and this was a 65th birthday gift. Thing is, my friend's sister took it to a place to get valued, and the value they gave her was 10 times more than what's on that list. So, to help my friend out, I came here to get a ballpark sense of what this could be, thinking that there may be knowledgeable folks here. Thanks, mleok and glenno, for serious responses.

Attaching original photo of front and one of back with inscription with my friend's grandmother's initials and date of her 65th.

No flaking, just age, since this is 54 years old, and was used by two generations.

View attachment 13154575

View attachment 13154579
Sorry if my response didn't suit your story, but judging from the appearance of peeling plating, crooked lettering, mismatched sizes of lettering and based on my knowledge of the companies quality standards, at best, I'd judge it to have been refinished with a substandard dial repair. Why not pop the back off that puppy and show us its fine movement????....

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
How long ago was the list created? Why is it hard to believe the watch has increased in value when the price of gold alone has increased over $1K an ounce over the past 20 years?
No way to tell since my friend's mom is deceased. Presumably later on in her life, but since she was past 90 when she passed away, that could be anything from 5 to 20 years ago. The inflation adjusted price of gold from 1964 (when watch was bought based on the inscription) to now has risen approximately 5 times. $1,316 vs. $285. Obviously, the watch could have been valued after 1964, but 1964 is the only firm date I have on this.

Re post 11 - Its because the valuation on the list in the safe deposit box was $900 and the more recent valuation (more like a quotation) from a watch store was that it could be sold for $9,000. Guessing that store guy would keep about $3,000, that's $12,000 vs. 900. Hard to explain that based on the price of gold alone, noting that there are other factors in play, like rarity, demand, ...

Appreciate the thoughtful contributions.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My mom had a platinum version of nearly the same watch, and of the same vintage, which I inherited--I had it cleaned/overhauled and sold it for about $3500 a few years ago--the going rate at the time for something in this ball park (the guys who chimed in "fake" at first glance might want to think twice before responding without any idea of what they're talking about...) I would not place too much stock in the appraisal assessment--I have found such valuations often well out of line with actual sales value in the used market. As noted, above, the owner does need to have it verified for authenticity, and perhaps have it cleaned, lubed and adjusted to maximize its sales potential.
All good points timefleas, I will advise my friend to ask his sister for it, to have all this done.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts