WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked this up for next to nothing (4000 JPY, maybe US$35) just because it runs. I love the tick of an old pocket watch.

I'd like to know a year, if possible, and any hints to get it running smoothly--it stops sometimes when it should be still wound.

Thanks!

DSCN0479.jpg DSCN0476.jpg DSCN0477.jpg

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, I'll look into getting it serviced. Fingers crossed it's not more than 3x what I paid...

·
Premium Member
6,673 Posts
Thank you, I'll look into getting it serviced. Fingers crossed it's not more than 3x what I paid...
If you paid $35 usd, I think it's likely that the service will cost at least 3x what you paid, but there's nothing wrong with that. A service involves complete disassembly of the movement, cleaning of the parts, reassembly, lubrication, and adjustment, by an expert watchmaker.

Since the dial looks like enamel, it may be possible to have the watchmaker clean off the stains. If so, you will have a very nice watch.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just to follow up on this, I had the watch overhauled and regulated by a local watch shop (20,000 JPY, about $170 I think?). It's now running at -3 seconds a day, and goes well over 24 hours on a full winding. I'm a happy camper. I think I might get a band to wear this on my wrist...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts