WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Apart from that it's a keywind, open-faced pocket watch with a ceramic dial with roman numerals...nup!

You'll need to open the caseback and take some photographs of the movement before the members here will be able to tell you anything.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I notice that there are hallmarks on the pendant, indicating to me that there are probably hallmarks on the inside of the case. If you could send us close-ups of these as well as pictures of the movement we can date the watch at least. Probably of English manufacture mid to late 19th century.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Hi,

Yes, there are many engravings on the inside of the casing. Difficult to photograph mind. Some are very small and faded.

Here are some photos:

How would I get to the movement?

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Do mine eyes decieve me, or are there little screws around the edges of the cuvette? Perhaps this thing's held down with screws. If you can get a small screwdriver and take out the screws, the cuvette might just lift off...But that's just a guess and my eyesight is bad at best.

·
Registered
7,743 Posts
Leopard's head = London

"t" = 1874

lion passant = sterling silver (.925)

Can't quite make out the other letters which wil be the case maker's mark - some of which are listed; some not.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Hi
I got a watch like this I will post photo's after I get home from work I got a fusse english you open the front cover were the crystal and dial is and you will see a latch I use my finger nail to push it back and the movement swings out has a hinge on the movement and case and has a dust cover over the movement if it's the same type.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the information so far guys. I will try and photograph all of the other case markings. There are a number of small engravings all over the back of the watch.

RiverRat, you are quite right about the face opening. Not sure how to get the rest off. Below are some photographs.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
See the peice of metal shaped like a C you move that forward and the cover come's off and when you put it back on you push it back the other way to lock it back.

·
Registered
7,743 Posts

·
Registered
23,771 Posts
Can't see the Hallmark that clearly but might it be an earlier one? The movement looks pretty primitive to be from 1874. It looks like an early English lever movement. There was a small t hallmark in 1834 as well.

·
Registered
7,743 Posts
Can't see the Hallmark that clearly but might it be an earlier one? The movement looks pretty primitive to be from 1874. It looks like an early English lever movement. There was a small t hallmark in 1834 as well.

Yes - you're right - it could be the 1834 t. :oops:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all the replies so far :-!

Here are some slightly better quality photos.

There are lots of little engravings on the inside of the back lid. "W.R. Cobb" is most clearly engraved.

·
Registered
23,771 Posts
No the hallmark definitely looks like 1874 to me. I cannot explain why the movement looks older.

·
Registered
7,743 Posts
No the hallmark definitely looks like 1874 to me. I cannot explain why the movement looks older.
Recased after about 50 years hard life?:think:

·
Registered
23,771 Posts
The dial looks like it's 1850 or later (sunk sub-second dial). Maybe just a very conservative watch maker. The balance looks much more primitive than I'd expect to see on a watch from 1870. :-s

·
Registered
18,176 Posts
The dial looks like it's 1850 or later (sunk sub-second dial). Maybe just a very conservative watch maker. The balance looks much more primitive than I'd expect to see on a watch from 1870. :-s
Ray, having owned several British Leyland products, I never am amazed at finding old technology where you do not expect it :-d

1 - 20 of 21 Posts