WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Would you be interested in a smaller Marine Original?

• Absolutely

Votes: 35 42.7%
  • Maybe, i'd have to see it first

Votes: 8 9.8%
  • No

Votes: 39 47.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently sold my MO because the watch was simply too big for my 6.5" wrist. I was wondering if there was enough interest to approach Jorg regarding a potential 35mm (or a slightly larger sized) Marine Original (maybe with a silvered dial like those used on some of the Anteas).

I feel like this would be an outstanding watch that could be used as both a traditional dress watch and a casual watch whereas the MO is simply too big to be a dress watch in the traditional sense of the term "dress watch."

To those who know about things like this, is Jorg open to projects like this if we approach him and there is enough interest? Maybe as a WUS special edition?

S

·
0 Posts
I recently sold my MO because the watch was simply too big for my 6.5" wrist. I was wondering if there was enough interest to approach Jorg regarding a potential 35mm (or a slightly larger sized) Marine Original (maybe with a silvered dial like those used on some of the Anteas).

I feel like this would be an outstanding watch that could be used as both a traditional dress watch and a casual watch whereas the MO is simply too big to be a dress watch in the traditional sense of the term "dress watch."

To those who know about things like this, is Jorg open to projects like this if we approach him and there is enough interest? Maybe as a WUS special edition?
Well, everything is possible but you can't press a 36,6 mm movement into a 35mm case. So the options are limited, a hw ETA/Peseux 7001 would be an option (32,15 mm) but then it would like a Karelia (by Meistersinger).
Another thought: There is only one Marine Original and imho Jörg should stick to this.

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
I would love to see a watch like this. The normal MO is too big for me - I prefer smaller watches.
Dornblüth had a limited edition watch with their 04 movement which was 38mm and had the design of the 99.1/99.0. It is very hard to find one now.
If Jörg would make a smaller MO (it would have to be handwound for me) I would buy one.

·
0 Posts
This is the only thing that concers me about the MO. I heard several people complian about the size of the watch. My wrist is about 7.25, so I hope it's not an issue for me.

·
Registered
612 Posts
38mm would be perfect for me. I have been considering a Marine auto instead of the Original because of my small 6.25" wrist, but I would prefer the sub second hand.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I think this is a very interesting idea, and the Dornblueth 04.0 model is a good precedent. Nomos and the Anteas also come in a variety of sizes with the same design (but different from the Marines, of course).

Mike has posted on the "original Marine Original" before. A limited edition from 2002, it housed a Unitas 6425 handwinder in a 40 mm case. I don't know if the Unitas 6425 is available in reasonable numbers anymore, but the size (Dia= 29mm, H= 4.6mm, 17 jewels, f = 21.6 k bph, PR 48h) would seem to be very well suited for a 35mm-39mm model.

https://www.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=55786

The Peseux 7001 as Mike said or even the ETA 2801 are other handwinding possibilities, but would be less interesting. I also think they are better proportioned for the smaller end (35-36mm) of the range originally proposed.

S

·
0 Posts
The unitas 6425 is discontinued, you well not get them in the necessary numbers.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Wow, that Marine 6425 is (was) a beauty! I could swing the 40mm as well. Pity that my chances of finding one are almost nil.

·
Registered
181 Posts
can you post a wrist shot?

my MO is in fabrication...somewhere... early may delivery

i was between the MO and the Meistersinger and a Nomos... I really prefer the latter watches for their smaller size but the design of the MO got to me

they could stuff the ETA 2824 in a smaller watch (than the same 40mm case)... i have a ETA on an Oris sized at 37 or 38?

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
how about the Durowe movement? could that be a possibility?

also, is it blasphemy to suggest an automatic marine original as it would likely be easier to fit the auto movement into a smaller MO styled case?

i'm thinking something similar to the IWC 3531 but with the, imo, imporved styling of the Stowa MO.

·
Registered
749 Posts
I would rather see a 40mm seatime. With the antea ks, the antea 365, and the airman all coming in at 40 and under, I think a diver is also needed. There seem to be a lot of stowa fans with smaller wrists:think:

·
Registered
37 Posts
I agree: to my mind, there is a place on the market for watches under 40 mm.
I remenber former posts in favor of such an evolution:
https://www.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?p=947273#post947273
or
https://www.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?p=881971&highlight=size#post881971

But we have to consider that other stowa fans asking for bigger watches ...

I can imagine it's impossible for Jorg to please everyone.
Concentrating his offer on a medium size is perhaps the only solution for Stowa. A different case size means different dial, different hands, different glass: it means stocks and money to finance them ...

But we can still hope and perhaps, one day we will buy an small MO with a peseux (HW/small second)

·
Registered
634 Posts
But we can still hope and perhaps, one day we will buy an small MO with a peseux (HW/small second)
Cant be done, as the only sub-second movement with dial right down at 6 is the ETA 6498 which is 36mm movement alone, the 7001 has the sub-second floating mid way between the centre posts and 6 which never looks right if your replicating an old military watch. A mid size would have to be centre second ie: auto 2824 or handwind 2801, would still appeal to many though...

·
Registered
37 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
a 35.5mm w/ that movement would be |>|> for me. this could be a dress watch for those that are not big fans of the lugs/case of the Antea.

·
Registered
1 Posts

I had the same idea three months ago. I even photoshopped an image of a small marine based on an antea KS and sent Stowa an email. I was told that they had a smaller marine a few years ago, but they have no parts for that any more and they do not plan a relaunch.

Chris

1 - 20 of 27 Posts