WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I thinking of buying this old Zenith wristwatch. Seller says it's from the 30's and by the looks of it it sounds reliable.

Because I haven't bought it yet I can't open it and take a pic from the movement but all possible information about this model would be highly apreciated.

It's only 28mm in diameter excluding the crown and currently not working. I'm still tempted to buy it because it seems to be quite rare and price is quite cheap...

Attachments

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I do get your point but as I wrote it's cheap. And It's not just some seller on ebay either... Sometimes it pays out to take changes. ;-)

·
Registered
7,774 Posts
On the outside, it looks kosher, gut feeling tells me it's OK. Dr. Ranfft is right- it is unwise to buy without movement pictures, especially if it isn't running. You don't know if the movement is just dirty, is it blocked by rust, is the balance stuff or hairspring messed up, or is the movement there at all. If you're risking little, you can of course take a gamble and go for it- sometimes taking chances pays off. I don't think I've bought a watch without looking at the movement since I've bought my very first vintage watch (the '39 Tissot). This time, risking it did work, but back then I was a complete and utter rookie, and I have never taken my chances like that again with any other watch.

Reactions: busmatt

·
Registered
363 Posts
Weeelllll, yellowed crystal looks original.
Dial looks original (who'd go to the trouble of redialing and not replace the crystal.)
Dial is clean. With the exception of some slight shadowing 3-4 o'clock and maybe something around 6, but I think that could be the crystal.

So from this, you could infer that it is likely to have an original movement and that the watch has not been subjected to water damage.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts