WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
8,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I look at the Public Forum quite often yet I never ever see anything posted about GP. I realize they've had a somewhat storied history but is there any love out there for this brand?

Photos copied from a Google search

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
I would think that these might perhaps be discussed and appreciated a lot more in the High End forum, but you're right, there doesn't seem to be so much mention of them in f2.

·
Registered
8,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
They cater to a specific crowd, your average Joe cannot afford one, hence we hear less about them.

·
Registered
5,053 Posts
your average Joe cannot afford one
ebay may disagree with you there...out of all high-enders you're probably most likely to find a deal on a GP. regardless of any of that, really like the photos in this thread - great-looking watches! :-!

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
ebay may disagree with you there...out of all high-enders you're probably most likely to find a deal on a GP. regardless of any of that, really like the photos in this thread - great-looking watches! :-!
True, but of the newer offerings they are priced quite high.

Sent from paradise!

Reactions: Paulo 8135

·
Registered
8,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Here's a Buy It Now on Fleabay for $1,600. Not crazy expensive. Although I'm not sure I've ever seen "Manufacture" above the GP before.

Reactions: omeglycine

·
Registered
15,452 Posts
They get criticized a bit for low resale values (doesn't bother me) I've noticed and that might have something to do with it. I like some of their offerings, one I had and one that has caught my eye, we'll see . . .

Attachments

·
Registered
8,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They get criticized a bit for low resale values (doesn't bother me) I've noticed and that might have something to do with it. I like some of their offerings, one I had and one that has caught my eye, we'll see . . .
I like the new Laureato. Unfortunately I believe it's going to be a limited edition of 225 pieces and price tag of over $14,000 USD.

Reactions: drhr

·
Registered
15,452 Posts
I like the new Laureato. Unfortunately I believe it's going to be a limited edition of 225 pieces and price tag of over $14,000 USD.
Yeah I know, with any kind of luck it'll all be gone by the time I decide I really must have it, then I can wait on the used market. But if that doesn't happen no biggie either, so thankful that my frenetic buying activity is now behind me . . .

Reactions: Pun

·
Registered
7,540 Posts
Too many of their models are in precious metals and the steel sports ones are gigantic. The 1945s are easily their best current models.

·
Premium Member
IWC chrono: Pilot or Porsche Design Titan
4,628 Posts
They don't do chronographs right! But that's just me. I love chronos, but I dislike modular designs (a Dubois-Depraz module riveted to a movement that was originally designed to just tell time). I think I developed the bias reading about the Omega version, and how it is so difficult to service the chrono module they simply replace it. And I'm not fond of the idea of the module's "parasitic" relationship with the "host." The amplitude is affected when the chrono module is engaged, and burdens the ETA (Sellita, or whatever) time movement.
And for the record, I do recognize that a Dubois-Depraz module has a high quality manufacture.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I love my ww.tc.

uploadfromtaptalk1458865107194.jpg

The things I like most about their watches are their lugs, which curve down to hug the wrist and make me think of race cars; the red accents on their dials, like the red '60' in the small seconds subdial above, and which again evoke racing; and the minuscule gap between strap and case, giving it a seamless look en face.

They have great vintage watches as well, like the Deep Diver, Richeville and Laureato lines. Their vintage watches weren't targeted at the high-end segment, unlike their modern offerings.

They just announced the Competizione line, with the beautiful Stradale chronograph.

Their former owner, Gino Macaluso, was an Italian with a penchant for racing cars, hence the automobile bent to their watches.

All in all, they are like JLC to me, a true manufacture with a rich storied history, and great watch designs that draw on their past.

Looking forward to seeing the 225th anniversary Laureato in the metal.

·
Registered
5,053 Posts
I love my ww.tc.

View attachment 7556378

The things I like most about their watches are their lugs, which curve down to hug the wrist and make me think of race cars; the red accents on their dials, like the red '60' in the small seconds subdial above, and which again evoke racing; and the minuscule gap between strap and case, giving it a seamless look en face.

They have great vintage watches as well, like the Deep Diver, Richeville and Laureato lines. Their vintage watches weren't targeted at the high-end segment, unlike their modern offerings.

They just announced the Competizione line, with the beautiful Stradale chronograph.

Their former owner, Gino Macaluso, was an Italian with a penchant for racing cars, hence the automobile bent to their watches.

All in all, they are like JLC to me, a true manufacture with a rich storied history, and great watch designs that draw on their past.

Looking forward to seeing the 225th anniversary Laureato in the metal.
Thanks for the info, interesting stuff. I guess the vintage watches not being high-end helps explain the low vintage ebay prices.

One of the two greatest looking watches I ever sold, a pre-owned Richeville Grande Date in RG and Blue dial. Just an
incredible looking watch. Just drooled looking at it.
Have to ask...what was the other watch??

·
Registered
339 Posts
I really like a number of their watches--Hawk series (Sea Hawk and Chrono-Hawk, 1966, 1957, Laureato, and Competizione Straddle. I would pick up several if I had the funds.

From the Watch Snob (for what it's worth) Girard-Perregaux Watches - AskMen

"Girard-Perregaux is haute horlogerie to be sure. The company makes some fine timepieces with hand-built, finely decorated in-house movements. The 1966 line, for example, is a masterful execution of classically styled watches. All in all, the brand makes a worthy alternative to the usual suspects at the top of the horological heap. The problem with Girard-Perregaux is, when people have enough money to enter this stratus of watches, they tend to go for Lange or Patek or Audemars-Piguet, and it has given Girard-Perregaux a bit of an inferiority complex. And that’s a shame because, other than Jaeger-LeCoultre, Girard-Perregaux might just represent the best “bargain” (I hate that word) in high-end watchmaking. You’d never be able to touch a chronograph from Patek or Lange for $20,000, yet the 1966 chrono from Girard-Perregaux gives up little to its Swiss brethren yet costs less."

1 - 20 of 45 Posts