WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I picked up this Maurice Lacriox Double Retrograde for an amazing price recently because I thought it looked great and has very some impressive features. You don't see much mentioned about this brand here and I find it strange given the superb quality of this piece. Anyone else into this brand at all? Can't be just me surely :)

IMG_20190615_100331 by ataripower, on Flickr

·
Registered
105 Posts
Very nice piece. I had almost bought one myself in the past. I think you just have to get into the watch at the right price. Most importantly though in a firm believer in buying a watch that suits you and your personality. But what you like irrespective of the brand name.
Congrats and wear it in good health.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

·
Banned
138 Posts
Interesting watch but I think as a lot of others note the brand does not seem to attract the passionate advocates that others seem to. Not sure why

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
216 Posts
Think they get a bad rap because they are (or used to be) one of those brands that were widely sold on the grey market for like 70%+ off of 'retail'... also seemed like they had two distinct tiers of watches, regular, and some 'masterpiece' collection. Kind of like they couldn't figure out what they wanted the brand to be. I know they came out with a sports model that looks a lot like a RO a couple of years back, but haven't heard/seen much else from them recently as the brand is virtually never discussed on the forums/youtube/etc.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
172 Posts
So I picked up this Maurice Lacriox Double Retrograde for an amazing price recently because I thought it looked great and has very some impressive features. You don't see much mentioned about this brand here and I find it strange given the superb quality of this piece. Anyone else into this brand at all? Can't be just me surely :)

IMG_20190615_100331 by ataripower, on Flickr
I certainly like this brand too, especially their older design. I bought an automatic for my wife a few years ago. It looks very classy (with onion crown) and works great. I’m not a big fan of their more recent models however.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Not my cup of tea. Despite of their efforts to develop in house calibers and test the mid tier lands with its masterpiece serie, they still produce and sell a massive amount of quartz watches positioning (and diluting) the brand in the low end quartz market. My perception is conditioned by this fact. So, out of the square wheel, I don’t find anything that calls my attention.

Same with the Aikon. When it was released in 2016, most of the production was powered by quartz with questionable finishing details. This, plus the RO dial and case “inspiration”, makes the model (as the brand) a no go.

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
I have a lot of respect for this little brand—. In particular, the Masterpiece watches. It’s hard to match the complications for the money. The finishing on the movements is great.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I like it. They make some very handsome watches. My local watchmaker sells them and has the flyback annuaire in his window. I find it gorgeous though the price tag is in the stratosphere compared to some of their other offerings.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
I keep looking at them whenever I go into our local dealer's shop but always end up buying something else instead. That said, they make some very impressive watches. I may end up owning one down the road.

·
Premium Member
IWC chrono: Pilot or Porsche Design Titan
4,600 Posts
There has never been an offering from Maurice Lacroix that makes me identify the brand. Ask me what I think of when you mention just about any other brand, and I immediately tie in one of that brand’s models.
JLC? Reverso. Omega? Speedy Pro. Rolex? Submariner.
Maurice Lacroix? .... nothing comes to mind.
It’s that “all over the map” catalogue with no outstanding models to identify with that makes ML a non-player in my mind.

·
Registered
543 Posts
There has never been an offering from Maurice Lacroix that makes me identify the brand. Ask me what I think of when you mention just about any other brand, and I immediately tie in one of that brand’s models.
JLC? Reverso. Omega? Speedy Pro. Rolex? Submariner.
Maurice Lacroix? .... nothing comes to mind.
It’s that “all over the map” catalogue with no outstanding models to identify with that makes ML a non-player in my mind.
This. They clearly make some nice watches. Their problem seems to be that they can’t settle on an image or price category...they’re all over the map. And a lot of their stuff is over-designed, trying to be affordable versions of fancier watches, which isn’t a great strategy if you want to be taken seriously by the WUS crowd.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts