WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all: I will probably be given the chance of trading a coupple of my watches for a Yatchmaster (the platinum dial and red seconds hand). This will be my first Rolex since the mid 80's. While brousing the forums for a coupple of years, I see little ownership of this model (the Yatchmaster), so it got me wondering if I am missing something here or is it purely that this particular watch is not fancied with WISs.

I have no hurry to make the trade and can easily wait for other model, I have decided on a Rolex and am between this Yatchmaster, a GMT II or an Eplorer II (I travel quite a bit). I was thinking on the Yatchmaster since I need to dress up and down often and within the same day. I have a coupple of less expensive divers for pool and beach. This watch would be an everyday office and business travel watch.

I would appreciate your comments

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I love the look of the Yacht Master. It’s much less common than other models, but that doesn’t mean there is anything wrong with it. I would love to own a Yacht Master at some point. I especially like the bezels.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have the same Yacht-Master, it’s my current daily wear. Really versatile watch.

It’s less popular than most sport models, but that’s not a bad thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My same thoghts. I think the platinum bezel makes it better for dressing up, the look is not so toolish as the Sub or the GMTs, yet sportier than the Explorer or the DJ lineup.

·
Registered
16,279 Posts
They're beauties, I certainly succumbed to two of them, the Rhodium dial doesn't draw as much from pics but up close and personal I like it more (just a tad, though) than the blue . . .

Attachments

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
My thoughts are that in general, it's too flashy...you'll notice the more popular models are simpler and less flashy in design. Doesn't mean it's not a good looking watch, just not as attractive to the general WIS population I guess. Speaking personally, when I was in college my folks told me upon graduation I would receive my first Rolex (a model of my choosing). At the time it came down to a GMT Master II or the Yacht-Master. I was torn. I decided on the GMT and am so glad that I did. Of course, if I chose the Yacht-Master, I'd still have it today and would never let it go...but I wouldn't enjoy it. As I grew older and my tastes/preferences got more fine-tuned, I am way more of a "GMT guy" than a "Yacht-Master guy"...if that makes any sense.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I'm a big fan of the original yacthmaster with red seconds hand.

The new ones posted look great too. Yet another watch i wish i owned

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
198 Posts
Yes, it’s worth getting one: simple understatement, less common than a submariner, not the “common” watch on people. I really enjoy mine and am thinking about the rhodium dial to add.
That blue is just gorgeous

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I think the issue for me is that I prefer the case design of the Sub/GMT vs the YM. I'm not sure I would love that platinum bezel over time.

And since I also travel a lot, I really get a lot of use out of the GMT function and quick flipping hour hand, not present on the Sub or YM.

Frankly, I am not so desparate to broadcast my individuality that I'm willing to pay the $4000 or so extra for a slightly different looking Submariner. If you travel a lot, the GMT or Explorer II may be a more useful fit. I've always viewed the YM as an extravagant add to an existing collection, as opposed to a primary watch.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts