WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
418 Posts
.This is Powerwind Saturday. I'm putting together a couple of Midos out of scraps and parts. I'm going to use the black dial (It needs some markers, though) and the champagne date (if i can find a "chapter ring"). The cased one is a restaff 1137 and is running nicely. These Midos have real quality - fine regulators, nice finish and they run great after you sort them out. They have the odd winding bridge (or lack of it - that is) and a few other idosyncs. These cases are 35mm and sit on the wrist very neatly. e

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
I think the original Multifort autowind waterproof was equivalent to the early Rolex of the 1930's time. I got an early one for $6.00 out of estate sale junk jewelry box 2004. I think it is old one 1940? Has a gold cover on its ss case. Uses cork like for a wine bottle and soft lead metal for seals. Earliest autowind and incabloc. Truly made to be rugged. This one runs with the slightest motion and certainly represents the best technology when it was made.

Attachments

·
Banned
418 Posts
I think the original Multifort autowind waterproof was equivalent to the early Rolex of the 1930's time. I got an early one for $6.00 out of estate sale junk jewelry box 2004. I think it is old one 1940? Has a gold cover on its ss case. Uses cork like for a wine bottle and soft lead metal for seals. Earliest autowind and incabloc. Truly made to be rugged. This one runs with the slightest motion and certainly represents the best technology when it was made.
Rolex has come a long way. Those old Mido's might not have been there equal - they may have been a little better. I think the 1970's Mido styling might be a little too avant garde for might personal tastes, but Mido design gets one thing right - always make the dial a big as possible for the size of the case being utilized.

You know Art, i'm not a traditional collector. I like a pristine case, great dial, nice hands, proper crown and an outstanding strap (or bracelet), but what "gets" me - is what's inside. It's about the "7's": 817, 917, 1117, 1137,1147,7,7,7,7, etc. Good timekeeping, lots of innovation and some really spectacular asthetics. Mido is another - in a series of - under rated brands.

Let's see them Mido's!

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
I was so impressed after examining the only Mido I have seen I wrote a little commentary about it that got a page in NAWCC Bulletin. Later got a partial old box. Probably newer than watch. About when?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I'm pretty sure thats a 50's box. The Mido Robot stopped being used about 1962 which when the last of the 29mm watches were made.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
I saw similar ad printing in old National Geoghraphic I think before w.w. 2 time. When I wrote the following I did not realize it was not really obscure and unknown , although it was to me. A good thread I forgot was March 2010 NEWEST ACQUISITION MIDO NSMike

Attachments

·
Registered
153 Posts
Great article. However, I'd say the distinctive "arrowhead" style hour markers on the dial would put this Mido in the post World War Two 2 era, late 1940's up to the end of the 817 movement's run in 1951.

·
Registered
13,447 Posts
Yes. Mido means "I measure" in Spanish. This watch sold 20% more than a Rolex. It was the first watch patented in 1939 that was automatic, Waterproof, Shockproof and Antimagnetic -Hence "MULTIFORT" a WORLD first

Here is mine -

a hermes advert:

Reactions: Croton_Equator

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
They've got the patent maybe but were not the only one in 1939 combining all those specs. Glycine's self winding was there also along with Eterna and Wyler |>

Here is an abstract how brutal they were testing these timepieces in 1939 New York World's Fair:

Men, of course — young or old — are attracted by the waterproof Watches and the stopwatches. Every modern type of waterproof,shockresisting, non-magnetic, and in some cases self-winding wrist watches is shown in this group.Some of the waterproof watches are remarkably thin, for example the Movado and Eterna models,or very small or even jeweled outside, like the complete selection of Mido. Eterna, Glycine,Mido and Wyler show the self-winding models.

Through lighted apertures in the black glass panel running the whole length of the back wall can be seen demonstrators, electrically operated,
which give concrete examples of the hardships which waterproof watches can endure with impunity.The Mido Multifort, for example, is first held before a magnet, then dropped with a bang on a metal plate before taking a cooling dip in a water-filled container. There is also a moving hand holding a watch indicating the self-winding feature of the Mido watch. The Glycine self-winding also undergoes the same ordeal without harm, as it falls on a miniature anvil, and there are two toy submarines carrying watches, slowly revolving under water.

·
Registered
13,447 Posts
They've got the patent maybe but were not the only one in 1939 combining all those specs. Glycine's self winding was there also along with Eterna and Wyler |>

Here is an abstract how brutal they were testing these timepieces in 1939 New York World's Fair:

Men, of course — young or old — are attracted by the waterproof Watches and the stopwatches. Every modern type of waterproof,shockresisting, non-magnetic, and in some cases self-winding wrist watches is shown in this group.Some of the waterproof watches are remarkably thin, for example the Movado and Eterna models,or very small or even jeweled outside, like the complete selection of Mido. Eterna, Glycine,Mido and Wyler show the self-winding models.

Through lighted apertures in the black glass panel running the whole length of the back wall can be seen demonstrators, electrically operated,
which give concrete examples of the hardships which waterproof watches can endure with impunity.The Mido Multifort, for example, is first held before a magnet, then dropped with a bang on a metal plate before taking a cooling dip in a water-filled container. There is also a moving hand holding a watch indicating the self-winding feature of the Mido watch. The Glycine self-winding also undergoes the same ordeal without harm, as it falls on a miniature anvil, and there are two toy submarines carrying watches, slowly revolving under water.
I do not thing the others had also Antimagnetic!
I am pretty sure Mido was first timepiece with all four.

A

1 - 15 of 15 Posts