WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Drama, drama. The Ambit3 line got two firmware updates this year alone. Suunto has already stated they're working on the sleep bug, so there's a future firmware update. Its received more features than it was advertised to have when released. What's missing that's keeping you from working out?

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Are you looking for FW updates to fix a bug or to add features? IT's not reasonable to expect a large number of feature additions after the watch has been released. As an aside, if you're upset that the F3 has twice the number of FW updates, that's probably because it doesn't work...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Are you looking for FW updates to fix a bug or to add features? IT's not reasonable to expect a large number of feature additions after the watch has been released. As an aside, if you're upset that the F3 has twice the number of FW updates, that's probably because it doesn't work...
To continue the thread hijacking, the fact that the latest F3 firmware update adds an option to get pace and distance from a footpod instead of the GPS seems like an implicit admission of the atrocious GPS tracking that I and others experienced in some environments

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Drama, drama. The Ambit3 line got two firmware updates this year alone. Suunto has already stated they're working on the sleep bug, so there's a future firmware update. Its received more features than it was advertised to have when released. What's missing that's keeping you from working out?

Yes there is something missing. Real time incline/slope variable.
The apps in movescount are not precise.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I am talking about new features. What is reasonable or not is different for different persons.
Reasonable is, purchasing a product based on its advertised features and being grateful *if* something new is implemented. What you're asking is the equivalent to purchasing a car that does not have a USB input for the audio system, then asking the manufacturer to implement it because you believe that's a missing feature.

Was the Ambit3 advertised, and not through apps, to have real time incline/slope variable? If not, Suunto owes you nothing.

·
Registered
771 Posts
What's really funny: Slope/incline cannot but be imprecise. How do you measure it precisely when you are probably moving sideways along switchbacks at distances that may not be recorded more exactly than the GPS error (which is inherent in the system) and while altitude measurements are also imprecise from GPS and from barometric pressure, both for different reasons.

Thinking about it like that, I keep being surprised things even work as well as they do.

Add how much/little features are requested and how much manpower it takes to get anything done, it's even more surprising any features are ever added.

Also, something tells me that they are all a little busy working on the Traverse (and whatever else they've got up their sleeves).

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Reasonable is, purchasing a product based on its advertised features and being grateful *if* something new is implemented. What you're asking is the equivalent to purchasing a car that does not have a USB input for the audio system, then asking the manufacturer to implement it because you believe that's a missing feature.

Was the Ambit3 advertised, and not through apps, to have real time incline/slope variable? If not, Suunto owes you nothing.
You are talking about hardware, i am talking about software. I understand the difference. Do you ?
The competition updates its software/features. Suunto seems to have outsourced it to....the customers....

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What's really funny: Slope/incline cannot but be imprecise. How do you measure it precisely when you are probably moving sideways along switchbacks at distances that may not be recorded more exactly than the GPS error (which is inherent in the system) and while altitude measurements are also imprecise from GPS and from barometric pressure, both for different reasons.

Thinking about it like that, I keep being surprised things even work as well as they do.

Add how much/little features are requested and how much manpower it takes to get anything done, it's even more surprising any features are ever added.

Also, something tells me that they are all a little busy working on the Traverse (and whatever else they've got up their sleeves).
....that awful, buggy, unreliable, garmin does it, in my edge 510 and does it pretty well and much better that all the apps in movescount....

·
Registered
247 Posts
You are talking about hardware, i am talking about software. I understand the difference. Do you ?
The competition updates its software/features. Suunto seems to have outsourced it to....the customers....
Now you're being pedantic.

Let's change it to a car stereo with mp3 as one of the file formats it can play; that's not good enough for you. You want AAC AND believe the manufacturer has an obligation to implement it even though it was not an advertised feature. There, understand that?

If Garmin is sooooo super fantastic, use Garmin. My Ambit3 works damn well and anything Suunto decides to add post-purchase is icing on the cake.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Now you're being pedantic.

Let's change it to a car stereo with mp3 as one of the file formats it can play; that's not good enough for you. You want AAC AND believe the manufacturer has an obligation to implement it even though it was not an advertised feature. There, understand that?

If Garmin is sooooo super fantastic, use Garmin. My Ambit3 works damn well and anything Suunto decides to add post-purchase is icing on the cake.
I believe you have missed the point (along with a few others in this forum)
You are a customer. A customer's interest is to get as much as possible for his money. This is a law.
Otherwise you are either a suunto ambassador.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Seriously I can't believe this preemptive whining about updates that haven't even come out yet. As mentioned we've had two already this year.

·
Registered
81 Posts
You guys need to chill out...... I get what both of you are saying. Let's face it who doesn't love when a new update comes out and unlocks a new feature or fixes a bug that's been bothering you. No Suunto doesn't "have" to come out with more, the Ambit 4 should be out very soon. So why would they keep adding to the 3? I hope they do as I have a few small gripes with it but it's cool if they don't.....

Dave

·
Registered
308 Posts
Guys,

I understand both side of your arguments. Customers have the right to request features and WE always have exercized this right. It's simply that we have more voice today (forums, social media, reviews, etc...) than ever before. So the "asks" may sometimes sound like complaints (which they are, it's just a matter of which word you want to call it)

Roots_n_rock has the right to "ask" or "express" his need for this special feature. Bruceames and user_none, you have the right to be "just happy" the way the ambit currently is. There is no right or wrong on this matter. The only "judge" is Suunto (will they or will they not provide this feature in the future)

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I don't think anyone is complaining about the support the A3 has gotten so far. Just find it odd to start a thread complaining that they think support will be abandoned because the A4 (or whatever) is coming someday. Complaints have more validity when its based on stuff that has happened, rather than speculating on what may (or may not) happen in the future.

·
Registered
308 Posts
you're right. Not much complain about the ambit3 (many more about the Android App). But also, in his defense, he simply asked if another update was to be expected, I didn't detect a complaint in the original post (tone can be hard to convey in writing on the net).

·
Registered
247 Posts
Should we expect any new updates or suunto is done with A3 ?
I don't think so. The time of Ambit3 is over ...
you're right. Not much complain about the ambit3 (many more about the Android App). But also, in his defense, he simply asked if another update was to be expected, I didn't detect a complaint in the original post (tone can be hard to convey in writing on the net).
You're correct in that roots_n_rocks wasn't complaining in the original post. It was the second post I responded to with the "Drama, drama." After that roots_n_rocks directly responded to my post with "Yes there is something missing. Real time incline/slope variable. The apps in movescount are not precise.", which is a complaint.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts