WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

61 - 80 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
That is a beautiful Speedmaster Frank! Not many have a lumed bezel. I know the Apollo 8 edition does. Which reference is this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
509 Posts
That is a beautiful Speedmaster Frank! Not many have a lumed bezel. I know the Apollo 8 edition does. Which reference is this?

Thank you. That’s a Speedmaster MKII, I’ve been pleasantly surprised with the lume on this one.

Reactions: carlhaluss

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Anyway, what about you?
Any new pieces planned for this year?
Your collection getting a shake-up?
More going out than coming in?
Anything?
You know the saying about "best laid plans" ..... Same plan as in the past few years: sell a bunch! But have consistently failed to do that.
However, late '20 I did for the first time sell one of my watches (technically 2nd time - I let a few years ago one of the surplus CMW Project watches go).
I know Anneke would question that decision, but .... I still am in the process of filling a hole in our finances courtesy her final months.
Selling a good portion of my collection would help substantially - even if it's only the BNIB pieces.

There are a few pieces that have some pull ..... BB58, the 40 mm Portuguese (would trade my 7-day Portuguese) and the 36 mm Smiths Everest. Any purchase would have to be funded out of sales, so knowing me, the status quo of my collection will continue.

·
Premium Member
6,445 Posts
Well......I got my Dark Side around Xmas, and had “planned” for that to be it into 2021.....but, you know how it goes.....so

L-R......
Casio MT-G Sea and wildlife LE.....not everyone’s cup of tea, but I like it
Dark Side.....strap monster and the king of my collection
Helson carbon 45......owned one before, and a rare re-buy for me......built like a tank, but super light, with crazy lume
Yema Spacegraf.....whimsical purchase, maybe to small for my wrist....will see if it lasts...

......and I’m in the midst of a culling of the herd, so who knows what might be on the horizon once those PayPal funds start to stack up!

View attachment 15671396
Update.....well the Yema is diff to small for my wrist, although it’s a nice little piece....so that will go....plus have flipped a few and a couple more to go....

so my mind has turned to “what next?........”

I’ve drifted in two possible directions:

• a Seamaster 300
  • zenith el primo Chrono, with the black ceramicised aluminium case.....

we’ll see where I wander......

·
Premium Member
2,528 Posts
Waiting till June...seems like FOREVER!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
84 Posts
My dad recently found his old Rolex which I was sure must have been lost as it hadn't been seen in donkeys years. It's now coming my way next time we meet(which in lockdown will likely be whenever he has to come up for his Covid vaccine) as he said it's too small for him now. He seems to remember the movement is rusty so my money will be going into getting that repaired.

Well little update, got it off to a reputable Rolex accredited repairer and they already estimated me with some pics of the movement. It's very rusty and with that a very expensive repair, but no avoiding that so have told them to get it done. It will be something special for me.

Oh I took a wrist shot before sending it off...

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Good call @7ee - I would have done the same. Emotional value of this watch exceeds monetary value by far.
Check my post in today's WRUW thread - it shows one of my Dad's watches 60 years ago and "today" Nothing as nice as a Rolex and the money spent on the sympathetic restoration will never be recovered. But that wasn't the point, I wanted my Dad's old watch running again.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Good call @7ee - I would have done the same. Emotional value of this watch exceeds monetary value by far.
Check my post in today's WRUW thread - it shows one of my Dad's watches 60 years ago and "today" Nothing as nice as a Rolex and the money spent on the sympathetic restoration will never be recovered. But that wasn't the point, I wanted my Dad's old watch running again.
Quite right. I'll go look yours up in a min. Must be great to be able to pic out the watch in an old photo, very cool.

I must be honest I never expected this thought to be long lost watch to end in my possession. It's small by today's standards, but small and perfectly formed.

Chatting with my dad about it on the phone just now, he thinks it must have been in that box of bits rusty for 30 years so the poor thing deserves some attention. One for my small "never sell" division.

·
Premium Member
8,816 Posts
Nothing in the cards for me this year. My last purchase was my '57 Railmaster Reissue for my 50th in January of 2020;

View attachment 15671568
OMEGA '57 Railmaster Reissue

I just celebrated one year of stewardship on the 14th, so my next time goal for a new acquisition is again on my birthday in 2022.

I'm done with selling watches. For me, moving forward, I'll take my time researching, and narrowing down some watches that I love. This will give me time to save up for the purchase and also to be absolutely certain that I want the chosen watch in the collection.

View attachment 15671580
My current collection.

I've been tempted by a HAMILTON Khaki Field Mechanical 38mm to add as an everyday "beater" in the interim, but I'm hesitant to fall into the old trap of buying...and buying...etc. Besides, I don't have a problem wearing any of my watches on a daily basis.

View attachment 15671602
Picture borrowed from Deployant.

So, to make a long story short, after making a short story long, the answer is NO, there'll be no new watches for me in 2021.

Good luck to all of you who have your sights set on something for this year. I hope your dreams are realized.

René
I still recall your excitement when you finally got the Railmaster! Glad to see you getting so much pleasure from it. You have a great, varied collection there. And it definitely is a wonderful tribute to Omega! Having owned a Hamilton Khaki, I can honestly say that I think you would really enjoy owning one. Hope we can soon get together, and discuss our collections!

Cheers,
Carl

·
Premium Member
2,528 Posts
Nothing in the cards for me this year. My last purchase was my '57 Railmaster Reissue for my 50th in January of 2020;

View attachment 15671568
OMEGA '57 Railmaster Reissue

I just celebrated one year of stewardship on the 14th, so my next time goal for a new acquisition is again on my birthday in 2022.

I'm done with selling watches. For me, moving forward, I'll take my time researching, and narrowing down some watches that I love. This will give me time to save up for the purchase and also to be absolutely certain that I want the chosen watch in the collection.

View attachment 15671580
My current collection.

I've been tempted by a HAMILTON Khaki Field Mechanical 38mm to add as an everyday "beater" in the interim, but I'm hesitant to fall into the old trap of buying...and buying...etc. Besides, I don't have a problem wearing any of my watches on a daily basis.

View attachment 15671602
Picture borrowed from Deployant.

So, to make a long story short, after making a short story long, the answer is NO, there'll be no new watches for me in 2021.

Good luck to all of you who have your sights set on something for this year. I hope your dreams are realized.

René
Maybe this Hamilton Field Khaki Mechanical would be more tempting....
Hamilton.jpg

·
Premium Member
8,816 Posts
My biggest surprise in a long, long time. I visited the Omega Boutique here in Vancouver on Tuesday, just to have a visit with my friend Jorge. I really don't venture downtown much during the pandemic. We always discuss all watches, all brands and models. I happened to ask if he had seen the newly updated Speedmaster Moonwatch Professional. He told me yes, and that they had received one each of the Hesalite/Solid Caseback model and the Sapphire Sandwich model. Having owned a Speedy Moonwatch previously, I sort of hesitated when he asked if I would like to see one. And I have a recently acquired FOIS, which I found my favorite Speedy to date. In spite of my misgivings about the Speedy, I was absolutely blown away by the looks and the multitude of updates Omega has made to this watch. I went back twice to the Boutique to take another look, and today I finally purchased the watch. Thanks mainly to the new bracelet, it is likely the most comfortable watch I have owned with a stainless steel bracelet. The entire watch, with the subtle changes to case and dial, is absolutely stunning. That is likely it for me, more than enough for the entire year!

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
I still recall your excitement when you finally got the Railmaster! Glad to see you getting so much pleasure from it. You have a great, varied collection there. And it definitely is a wonderful tribute to Omega! Having owned a Hamilton Khaki, I can honestly say that I think you would really enjoy owning one. Hope we can soon get together, and discuss our collections!

Cheers,
Carl
Thanks for the nice compliment, Carl! I'm still absolutely in love with every one of my OMEGAs. Each one means the world to me in its own way. I feel privileged and honoured to be able to wear them and call them mine.

Yeah, the 60th Anniversary Railmaster is a pretty special watch for me. I had been admiring the previous generation when the '57 reissue was released. I didn't have the money to purchase right away and, it being a limited edition, and me being someone who only buys new from the AD, I thought that I had missed the boat on this special piece. My friend Tomas at the AD knew I was interested in a Railmaster and when they received one he surprised me by putting it aside for me until I had the money saved up. I will never be able to thank him enough for that kind gesture.

Being able to pick the watch up on my 50th birthday was very special, and I was honoured that you were able to join me for the occasion. These are the times I think of when people talk about creating memories with ones watches. That's a day I will never forget, and you will forever be a part of that memory.

I'm definitely looking forward to meeting up again. As you say, hopefully that will be very soon. A tour of a few boutiques and a lunch afterward to discuss our collections, and what we viewed at the boutiques, would be a grand time.

All the best, my friend!!
Rene

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
Maybe this Hamilton Field Khaki Mechanical would be more tempting.... View attachment 15693852
That's a nice looking watch for sure, JL. However, for me, my field watch will have to have a dark, matte dial. If I were to add a light coloured dial to my collection it would be more of a sporty/casual affair like the silver opaline Globemaster. I do appreciate the recommendation though. Enjoy your Hammy!!

Rene

Reactions: JLittle

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
My biggest surprise in a long, long time. I visited the Omega Boutique here in Vancouver on Tuesday, just to have a visit with my friend Jorge. I really don't venture downtown much during the pandemic. We always discuss all watches, all brands and models. I happened to ask if he had seen the newly updated Speedmaster Moonwatch Professional. He told me yes, and that they had received one each of the Hesalite/Solid Caseback model and the Sapphire Sandwich model. Having owned a Speedy Moonwatch previously, I sort of hesitated when he asked if I would like to see one. And I have a recently acquired FOIS, which I found my favorite Speedy to date. In spite of my misgivings about the Speedy, I was absolutely blown away by the looks and the multitude of updates Omega has made to this watch. I went back twice to the Boutique to take another look, and today I finally purchased the watch. Thanks mainly to the new bracelet, it is likely the most comfortable watch I have owned with a stainless steel bracelet. The entire watch, with the subtle changes to case and dial, is absolutely stunning. That is likely it for me, more than enough for the entire year!

View attachment 15693858

View attachment 15693859

View attachment 15693860
WOW!! Congratulations, Carl!! This has sure taken me by surprise.

Now we definitely have to get together soon.:LOL: I would love to get a close look at that Speedmaster.

I hope that this one will finally be the Speedy that fills your heart, and that you enjoy it in the very best of health.

Rene

Reactions: carlhaluss

·
Registered
394 Posts
I should be in the position (after almost ten years) to be able to afford something. I want to get a Speedy Pro, but I'm debating on whether to get a Tokyo 2020 Rising Sun, or a 3572.50. On the one hand, the hesalite sandwich is a LOT cheaper than the Rising Sun. On the other hand, the RS is a limited edition, and may shoot up in price in the near future.

And, of course, I want to get a hi-beat Grand Seiko to go with my spring drive. But that can wait until next year.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts

View attachment 15693858

View attachment 15693859

View attachment 15693860
Huge congrats Carl, hope you enjoy your new Speedy for a long time alongside your FOIS. And great pics with the leather jacket. ;)

61 - 80 of 103 Posts