WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

81 - 100 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
12,267 Posts
My biggest surprise in a long, long time. I visited the Omega Boutique here in Vancouver on Tuesday, just to have a visit with my friend Jorge. I really don't venture downtown much during the pandemic. We always discuss all watches, all brands and models. I happened to ask if he had seen the newly updated Speedmaster Moonwatch Professional. He told me yes, and that they had received one each of the Hesalite/Solid Caseback model and the Sapphire Sandwich model. Having owned a Speedy Moonwatch previously, I sort of hesitated when he asked if I would like to see one. And I have a recently acquired FOIS, which I found my favorite Speedy to date. In spite of my misgivings about the Speedy, I was absolutely blown away by the looks and the multitude of updates Omega has made to this watch. I went back twice to the Boutique to take another look, and today I finally purchased the watch. Thanks mainly to the new bracelet, it is likely the most comfortable watch I have owned with a stainless steel bracelet. The entire watch, with the subtle changes to case and dial, is absolutely stunning. That is likely it for me, more than enough for the entire year!

View attachment 15693858

View attachment 15693859

View attachment 15693860
Huge congrats Carl!! I haven’t seen the new watch in the metal but during research for the video I did on it, Omega really did a super job updating. It’s an all too common theme of watch companies ruining their icons. Omega seem to have finally learned and this release plus the trilogy are very faithful jobs.

Enjoy in great health my friend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,267 Posts
You know the saying about "best laid plans" ..... Same plan as in the past few years: sell a bunch! But have consistently failed to do that.
However, late '20 I did for the first time sell one of my watches (technically 2nd time - I let a few years ago one of the surplus CMW Project watches go).
I know Anneke would question that decision, but .... I still am in the process of filling a hole in our finances courtesy her final months.
Selling a good portion of my collection would help substantially - even if it's only the BNIB pieces.

There are a few pieces that have some pull ..... BB58, the 40 mm Portuguese (would trade my 7-day Portuguese) and the 36 mm Smiths Everest. Any purchase would have to be funded out of sales, so knowing me, the status quo of my collection will continue.
The Everest is a beauty!

·
Premium Member
8,798 Posts
WOW!! Congratulations, Carl!! This has sure taken me by surprise.

Now we definitely have to get together soon.:LOL: I would love to get a close look at that Speedmaster.

I hope that this one will finally be the Speedy that fills your heart, and that you enjoy it in the very best of health.

Rene
Not as surprised as I was! Thanks, Rene. I was almost feeling as though seeing the new Moonwatch was going to be a waste of time. But when I saw Jorge's (our friend at the boutique) enthusiasm, I knew I at least had to give it a look. They had both the sapphire sandwich and the hesalite to see. The sapphire sandwich is just for show right now, as they only got one, and it seems to be most popular of the two. I know they have a couple on order for clients. I was only interested in the hesalite anyway. At first glance, without checking all the details, I could already tell that Omega has done a remarkable job! A friend of mine, who is a staunch, diehard Rolex fan exclaimed "Wow! It's beautiful!" He is not at all an Omega fan, but he absolutely loves this watch. Yesterday, when I purchased the watch, was the third time I had gone in to take a look at it. So, this time I am as certain as is possible for me, that this will be a keeper. I had to think about it long and hard, as it means giving up the FOIS and also taking myself off a waitlist for a Rolex which I simply cannot afford, even though it could take a year or more to get. But that's OK, I think this Speedy is more than worth it!

·
Premium Member
8,798 Posts
Huge congrats Carl, hope you enjoy your new Speedy for a long time alongside your FOIS. And great pics with the leather jacket. ;)
Thanks very much! I had to put a lot of thought into this one, which is a big deal for an impulsive guy like me. It does mean that I will have to sell the FOIS. This completely, at least for me, upstages any Speedmaster including special edition models, that I have seen. I can't say enough about how much Omega has perfected this watch, a culmination of the very best features of the Speedy from over the years. More pics to come, of course!

·
Premium Member
8,798 Posts
Huge congrats Carl!! I haven’t seen the new watch in the metal but during research for the video I did on it, Omega really did a super job updating. It’s an all too common theme of watch companies ruining their icons. Omega seem to have finally learned and this release plus the trilogy are very faithful jobs.

Enjoy in great health my friend

Thanks very much, Dan. Must take a look at your video! I did a lot of research myself, before I even saw the watch. Having owned the previous model, however, I was still skeptical. One of the main reasons I sold the last one, was that I could never get it to fit comfortably. And I did not want to get a leather strap for it, so I finally ended up with the FOIS. I don't want that to sound like a bad thing, the FOIS is beautiful, but I have to admit that it always seemed a bit of a compromise. Omega has really taken all the very best details of previous models and blended them so very well, they really did a bang up job. The only complaints I hear of regarding the clasp, and the lack of almost any kind of adjustment. Like the previous model, there is only one micro adjust position built into the clasp. However, the links are so narrow that, at least for me, impossible not to get a perfect fit. I always do the small finger test. If I can fit my small finger comfortably between the clasp and lower wrist, then I know I have a good fit. I always like the watch a bit loose, and it doesn't flop around on my wrist. And it will also be comfortable when my wrist expands. I reckon that I will never have to make any adjustments to the bracelet at all.

Omega has done some remarkable work lately. Not the least of which is the Seamaster 300 007. And believe me, it is the one watch I have looked at so many times, I have seen it at least six times. While I love the watch, I just knew it would somehow not work for me in the long run. I can no longer afford the luxury of being impulsive as I have been until recently. But it's a good thing, as it will bring another change. I am still selling off some watches in my collection, and eventually want to have only a few which will definitely be keepers and get wrist time. I am sure this Speedy will be one of those! Fingers crossed! :)

Cheers,
Carl

ps Now I need to search for your video!

·
Registered
10,218 Posts
My biggest surprise in a long, long time. I visited the Omega Boutique here in Vancouver on Tuesday, just to have a visit with my friend Jorge. I really don't venture downtown much during the pandemic. We always discuss all watches, all brands and models. I happened to ask if he had seen the newly updated Speedmaster Moonwatch Professional. He told me yes, and that they had received one each of the Hesalite/Solid Caseback model and the Sapphire Sandwich model. Having owned a Speedy Moonwatch previously, I sort of hesitated when he asked if I would like to see one. And I have a recently acquired FOIS, which I found my favorite Speedy to date. In spite of my misgivings about the Speedy, I was absolutely blown away by the looks and the multitude of updates Omega has made to this watch. I went back twice to the Boutique to take another look, and today I finally purchased the watch. Thanks mainly to the new bracelet, it is likely the most comfortable watch I have owned with a stainless steel bracelet. The entire watch, with the subtle changes to case and dial, is absolutely stunning. That is likely it for me, more than enough for the entire year!

View attachment 15693858

View attachment 15693859

View attachment 15693860
Congratulations on the new Speedy, Carl. It may be a new & updated model, it's still a classic in my eyes. (y)

·
Premium Member
8,798 Posts
Congratulations on the new Speedy, Carl. It may be a new & updated model, it's still a classic in my eyes. (y)
Thank you! Indeed it does remain the classic Speedy, with the updates done so tastefully. I think Omega has really perfected it, and I can't imagine what more they could have done!

Cheers,
Carl

·
Registered
233 Posts
Waiting for this to arrive in the mail. My last purchase for 2021 and 2022.

·
Registered
233 Posts

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
Omega has always been my first love, but I currently don’t have my eye on any particular Ω models. I really like the new Sedna Gold speedmaster

but the price is a dealbreaker for me.

The New Year has brought me some old watches! After 8 years of collecting I developed a strong itch for patina, the darker the better!

Here are 2 new to me vintage Rollies:

1995 16570 Explorer II

1988 16760 “Fat Lady” GMT

I am hoping to get one of the new 41mm OPs in yellow from my local AD, but I’m not holding my breath!

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Omega has always been my first love, but I currently don’t have my eye on any particular Ω models. I really like the new Sedna Gold speedmaster

but the price is a dealbreaker for me.

The New Year has brought me some old watches! After 8 years of collecting I developed a strong itch for patina, the darker the better!

Here are 2 new to me vintage Rollies:

1995 16570 Explorer II

1988 16760 “Fat Lady” GMT

I am hoping to get one of the new 41mm OPs in yellow from my local AD, but I’m not holding my breath!
Wow!! Those are a couple of beautiful and sought after pieces, Rob. They look to be in very nice condition to boot. Congratulations on picking them up, and continue to enjoy them in the very best of health.

Best of luck getting your hands on that yellow OP! 🤠 👍

Rene

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
Wow!! Those are a couple of beautiful and sought after pieces, Rob. They look to be in very nice condition to boot. Congratulations on picking them up, and continue to enjoy them in the very best of health.

Best of luck getting your hands on that yellow OP!

Rene
Thank you Rene, appreciate your kind words!Hope all is well on your end! Best regards, -Rob

Reactions: Titan II

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Thank you Rene, appreciate your kind words!Hope all is well on your end! Best regards, -Rob
Cheers Rob! Things are about as well as can be expected. I'm getting a little impatient with the current pandemic situation, but other than that all is well.

Do you still have your TUDOR Sub?

René

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
Cheers Rob! Things are about as well as can be expected. I'm getting a little impatient with the current pandemic situation, but other than that all is well.

Do you still have your TUDOR Sub?

René
Hey René! Yes, it is still in my collection and is not going anywhere

81 - 100 of 103 Posts