WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Any1 here heard anything about Ambit3?

A friend just told me that Suunto has a ordered some new design to an Italian company for a new watch.

I know that if that news was correct then the new watch will be in the market for next year (external design may be just the beginning process)

See if you see any news about it in the net.

·
Registered
630 Posts
SUUNTO auf der OutDoor 2014

vom 10. bis 13. Juli 2014 präsentiert SUUNTO auf der OutDoor in Friedrichshafen die Highlights der umfassenden Produktpalette. Neben den Modellen Ambit 2S, Ambit 2 und Ambit 2R stellt der Spezialist für Sportuhren, Tauchcomputern und Präzisionsinstrumenten aus Finnland die weiterentwickelte Version SUUNTO Ambit 3 vor. Mit den umfangreichen Funktionen der GPS-Uhr wird SUUNTO erneut den Bedürfnissen eines jeden Sportlers gerecht, und die Erfolgsgeschichte der Ambit-Familie wird fortgeführt.

·
Registered
397 Posts
^^^^
Wow. I wasn't expecting that. An Ambit 3 will be announced (not necessarily available) next month!

Ok- let's turn this thread into guessing what features it will have.

Bluetooth is the obvious next addition.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great.
I assume it will have a mini map.
I always ask it from Suunto I hope they put it in Ambit3

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
47 Posts
1. bluetooth so we don't need a PC/laptop anymore. great when travelling
2. bluetooth to allow for live tracking via the smart phone app
3. VIBRATING alarm. PLEASE!!!!! the beeps are really hard to hear
4. downloadable/installable map so you can see where you are
5. more memory so we can run more apps
6. 10 apps simultaneous instead of just 5.
7. 3, 3R and 3S models something for everyone's wallet (keep it up Suunto)

·
Registered
24 Posts
1. bluetooth so we don't need a PC/laptop anymore. great when travelling
2. bluetooth to allow for live tracking via the smart phone app
3. VIBRATING alarm. PLEASE!!!!! the beeps are really hard to hear
4. downloadable/installable map so you can see where you are
5. more memory so we can run more apps
6. 10 apps simultaneous instead of just 5.
7. 3, 3R and 3S models something for everyone's wallet (keep it up Suunto)
Although I would love all this features there is nothing in there which the Fenix (and I mean the 2 year old original) doesn't do except apps. And in my experience I only use apps because the watch itself lacks some variables which (again) some competitors have. If suunto can't do better I am afraid they will fall behind when others release their news this fall.

My wishlist beyond yours are:
- Wifi
- Wireless charging
- Integrated day-to-day fitness use
- Optical heart rate sensor
- Triple battery life
- Even thinner than today

I don't think all this will happen, but anyway I am glad to be using a working suunto then spending a lot of money to be a Garmin beta tester ;)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Although I would love all this features there is nothing in there which the Fenix (and I mean the 2 year old original) doesn't do except apps. And in my experience I only use apps because the watch itself lacks some variables which (again) some competitors have. If suunto can't do better I am afraid they will fall behind when others release their news this fall.

My wishlist beyond yours are:
- Wifi
- Wireless charging
- Integrated day-to-day fitness use
- Optical heart rate sensor
- Triple battery life
- Even thinner than today

I don't think all this will happen, but anyway I am glad to be using a working suunto then spending a lot of money to be a Garmin beta tester ;)
Bluetooth with fenix is either or. Can't do heart rate and iPhone tracking for example. The navigation while running is a mess according to the internets. So as long as the ambit adds a few features it will stay ahead of fenix quality wise.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Bluetooth with fenix is either or. Can't do heart rate and iPhone tracking for example. The navigation while running is a mess according to the internets. So as long as the ambit adds a few features it will stay ahead of fenix quality wise.
I know this, I couldn't resist buying one when I came upon a used Quatix (but with latest Fenix firmware). The used price on Fenix and it's siblings is almost ridiculous. Even on version 4.4 it's not working 100% but it is getting closer. So I am not saying the Garmin is better, I prefer my Ambit2 S for all running except when I need to run somewhere I have not been before. Then the Fenix excels with its map and ete/eta. I have not had any problems combining running and navigation, but I never run more than 10-12 km, normally less.

What I am saying is that I would love if Suunto could come up with something all new, not just take what's in the Fenix and make it work like it is supposed to. But this is perhaps the cost of not going on accord with quality control like Garmin does.

So I just hope that Suunto presents an Ambit 3 that will astonish me :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
I prefer my Ambit2 S for all running except when I need to run somewhere I have not been before. Then the Fenix excels with its map and ete/eta.
When I plan my routes I name my waypoints with directions like:

R coyote (meaning turn right on coyote trail at this waypoint)
R2S summit (meaning turn right to stay on summit trail)
L peak (meaning turn left on peak trail)
S long (meaning Stay on long trail, for those times when the next turn is far away)

I created an app that beeps at 100, 75 and 50 meters away from the next way point. When this alarm goes off I switch to the navigate screen which shows distance to waypoint AND THE NAME OF THE WAYPOINT meaning I get instructions on what to do next. Works for me! If I make a turn that I am not sure off then I look at the zoomed in map on the navigation screen and if the direction arrow is not on the route then I know I did something wrong. I agree a map is better but for now try this app and renaming your waypoints to provide directions.

app: 2 nxt waypoint - App at Movescount.com
sample planned route with instructional names: Movescount.com - Powered by Suunto

·
Registered
397 Posts
I found something on the Suunto web site. The two new Ambit 3 models will be the Ambit 3 Peak, and the Ambit 3 Sport. They're listed on their support page. (oops :) )

ambit3.JPG

·
Registered
397 Posts
Bluetooth with fenix is either or. Can't do heart rate and iPhone tracking for example....
true dat. Still handy for post workout uploads through your phone tho'. But yeah, the Fenix BT/ANT+ chip is either/or. However, not all devices are so constrained. the Garmin FR620 for instance- will take ANT+HR and use BT at the same time.

then again- my new Mio Link HR monitor puts out both BT and ANT+ at the same time- so I can just run it all in BT. The last thing I would want, however, is for text messages to be popping up on my watch screen. I know they'd be clogging up the watch and getting in the way of me wanting to see my running screens! Priorities man!

My guess is that the Ambit3 Peak is the updated A2 (i.e. with the barometric pressure sensor, thermometer) and designed to go head to head with the Fenix2- larger battery for long hiking and such.

the Ambit3 Sport is the updated 2S. Updated packaging/style, bluetooth, maybe more memory? Other than that- not much difference. I don't think that battery technology has progressed to the point where it can be much thinner- and if they could reduce power consumption, it would be more marketable to increase the life from 8hrs to 10 or 12 instead of shaving a millimeter.

And then they leave the 2R as the lower priced runners' watch- price it at $199. It's already very competitive in its field.

oooh. i know. a flexible battery setup- so the watch is thin and the battery power lives in the watch band! :)

But the one thing that the Suunto is missing, that Garmin just kills them on, is the custom workout creator. It's simple to use and allows you to create really complex workouts and have the watch take you through it. Here's an example:

garmin.JPG

It's what I keep my old garmin 405 around for. very cool!

·
Registered
47 Posts
But the one thing that the Suunto is missing, that Garmin just kills them on, is the custom workout creator. It's simple to use and allows you to create really complex workouts and have the watch take you through it. Here's an example:

View attachment 1533360

It's what I keep my old garmin 405 around for. very cool!
Well, using a quote from the iPhone world: there is an app for that. See Interval App Generator | Seckle

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi there,

I recently purchased an Ambit2 R, so I am not going to get an Ambit3 anytime soon, but there are some minor tweaks in the firmware I would do to the Ambit2 (and they would make Ambit3 a better watch IMHO):

- Interval mode: It is only editable through movescount. The parameters could be editable in the watch as other brands do, so there is no need for a computer an Internet connection to change the intervals you want to do.

- Editable parameters for apps in the watch:in the same line as the previous one. I like a lot the apps concept, and being a tech-savvy user I enjoy making my own apps. Is a bit ridiculous to have to edit, or to create a new version of an app for changing the parameters. In the case of 'vritual partners', 'ghosts' or 'interval' apps is annoying. Being able to edit initial parameter values for apps in the watch would make some of them a lot more useful.

- Being able to create laps from apps. You can program now complex interval apps, but you cannot make them to create laps automatically (so you can look at averages and statistics on each interval) in the watch and you have to press the lap button.

- Beeps are hard to hear in a crowded city. Make it louder or add vibration alarms. (this is not doable in firmware, I know).

- I guess that for the sake of simplicity menus in the watch have been stripped down, but would be cool being able to enable some menu options from movescount for the people that like to tweak things on the go, so by default the watch is easy to use, but if you like it complicated, you can open more options.

- More navigation optioncs and improvements.

Things to keep (or improve if possible):

- Fantastic GPS look up time and precission
- FuseSpeed. I love that.
- Reliability and build quaiity. Users love bug-free tech products that work as expected... keep the good job, but the same quality perceived in the watch has to be perceived in movescount (lately has not been great).

Regards,
Kurt.-

1 - 20 of 101 Posts