WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
My main point is that it is the overall design of the watch that matters. I've learned in 10 years of watch collecting that specs often don't matter much... to a degree. A 44mm Sinn U1 wears smaller than a 42mm Pelagos because of the way the case and lugs are designed. Below are photos of me wearing my 14.5 mm Sea Dweller 16600 and my 11.9 mm BB58. Despite the difference of 2.5mm in thickness, the mid cases are the same thickness so they wear similar. The slightly more protruding caseback and the taller bezel does not contribute negatively to how it wears. I wore an ETA Pelagos for a year and at around 14mm it wore much thicker than the 16600 as 80% of the thickness was in the mid case and the sides are not contoured.
View attachment 15055921
View attachment 15055923
Good point, it could just be an optical illusion if the mid-case is where all the thickness is going.

·
Registered
311 Posts
It seems that there is a wait list. Is this because Tudor is trying to control the supply or they just can't keep up with the demand? I would like to see it on my wrist before I can pull the trigger...
Eh… I guess it depends where you are. In Chicago earlier this year I was offered a 58 while in store trying on some other stuff. I didn't even ask about it, and no, I'm not a high-roller customer. I'd never been in that AD before.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Eh… I guess it depends where you are. In Chicago earlier this year I was offered a 58 while in store trying on some other stuff. I didn't even ask about it, and no, I'm not a high-roller customer. I'd never been in that AD before.
Did you end up getting it? You're right, I guess it depends on your location. Unfortunately we can't just walk into an AD these days... The grey market has it for $3800 but on back order approximately 3-6 months!

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
Good point, it could just be an optical illusion if the mid-case is where all the thickness is going.
Here are some photos from others on WUS. Compare the angled sides on the Christopher Ward to the Omega (middle ground here) and Tudor (“slabsides”). Some hide their thickness better than others. Numbers can be misleading to how it looks on the wrist, for sure!

·
Premium Member
4,773 Posts
Here are some photos from others on WUS. Compare the angled sides on the Christopher Ward to the Omega (middle ground here) and Tudor (“slabsides”). Some hide their thickness better than others. Numbers can be misleading to how it looks on the wrist, for sure!

This is so true. I think the slab sides of the BB are somewhat tragic; they make a watch with great potential look and wear like a brick.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Bottom line is to try on the watch and see for yourself. We don't all have the same size wrist structure!

In the beginning of my watch collection, I was always told that a 44-45 mm case size is too big for my 6.25" wrist. However, when I tried a Seiko Turtle, I really liked how it wore on my wrist. You even forget it's there soon after putting it on.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Wow -- I've been in a number of ADs, and I've never even seen one.

If they did a BB 58 with arabic 3 - 6 - 9, like on the BB bronze or Harrod's version, I'd buy one yesterday.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
What about BB 58 with a date complication? Is that too much to ask for? Or are they going by the philosophy of giving too many options to consumers is a bad thing?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Did you end up getting it? You're right, I guess it depends on your location. Unfortunately we can't just walk into an AD these days... The grey market has it for $3800 but on back order approximately 3-6 months!
No –.I have large wrists, just can't wear the 58. It's too small for me.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts