1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Yeah, what he said. I need a fix... :-!

·
WatchUSeek Administrator
39,171 Posts
Our POC went on vacation and will not be back until next month. Before she went she told me Lothar Schmidt liked our inputs and decided to release a similar watch in 2010 and offered us the first 50. I'm not real happy with this as I wanted something special for us WUS members. The up side is it will most certainly bring the cost of production (and hopefully purchase) down a little. I will see if they can make the first 50 unique from the normal run once our POC returns. I'll let you guys know when I have something concrete.

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
2010? That is a disappointment!
So mr Schmidt liked our idea, will take it and do a Sinn product with it. Nice, stealing our idea!

I am not a lawyer, but I believe that we/WUS has the intellectual property rights of the LE U concept

Edit: Thinking about it, the whole idea of a unique WUS U LE has now disappeared, it will not be an LE in low numbers anymore. Even if making the first 50 or so unique (maybe with a WUS logo or something different) it will not be "our" LE anymore, but just a variety of the Sinn production.
I am disappointed with mr Schmidt.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I'm not sure if we have any legal standing as for one, this probably falls into the realm of international copyrights/patents (not sure what kind of protection we are afforded) and for another, we don't really have a copyright/patent... Legally, Sinn is clear... Morally.... Meh -> :rodekaart

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
I guess you are right. We did use a Sinn watch to start with. But morally, yep.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It may not be that bad if the first 50 can be differentiated and if this keeps the price down.

That being said, this development seems to indicate that Sinn's management is exhibiting some questionable business practices.:rodekaart

Will I still buy one? Depends on the final design and the price...

·
WatchUSeek Administrator
39,171 Posts
Well guys, it's not like we had our design 100% finalized and there wasn't over a dozen other lume faced dive watches already on the market. :think: It sounds like Herr Schmidt had the idea long before we approached Sinn with our ideas (remember the Baselworld Mystery U1?) and maybe it took the WUS project to convince him it would be a viable watch to offer the masses.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Well, either way, I still need a divers so I'll see what the final product looks like and what kind of, if any, "special" edition we may be allowed. If not satisfactory, might end up going with a nauticfish and saving myself $1k.

·
Registered
256 Posts
a very disappointing turn of events :-(

I'm sorry if this sounds too blunt but in my opinion this is a cheap attempt by sinn to maximize profits and cover all it's bases while forgetting it's most loyal base. It currently is accepting orders for a white dialed U1 and IMHO they want to pump sales of it as much as possible. Remember that U1 watch is not a limited edition, just a "limited production" (whatever that means) and they have made it clear they will produce however many are ordered (ummm..and *how* is that "limited"?). Giving us the thumbs up on an "improved" version would only hurt the current orders of the U1 white. If as sinn claims they already had such a watch in mind (and I believe they did as a lumed dial was obvious) then why not release it NOW instead of the plain U1 white?? The answer, simple...so they can sell 2 watches instead of 1. I'm getting a little sick of this game as it seems almost all watch companies are playing it, ie; release a watch and then 6 months later release it again with just enough improvements to make everyone who bought the first one toss it out the window and buy the new one. Doxa played this game to the max and as a result lost many of it's most hardcore customers. It reeks of slick corporate hucksterism and leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

You'd think during a tanking world economy it would be the perfect time to reach out and create customer loyalty, not dismiss it.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I am a lawyer and I can tell you we wouldn't have much standing. We were modifying a design that Sinn already made (the U1/U2) and were really just recombining elements that we wanted from their products.

I think people need to look at the bright side of this. Clearly they are listening to their customers and have thought that if we like it, than others would too. I have never seen a Sinn out in the wild anyway so at least in my neck of the woods a LE Sinn is a bit redundant.

As SMSgt Bo has said maybe we could get ours done a bit differently (i.e., with the WUS logo on them or maybe engraved and numbered on the back (i.e., the first 50 produced). Not perfect but still pretty cool. How many other groups of people that you know can proudly say that they participated in the design of a major watch brand's design of a new watch?

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Well, from the original posts it was never stated they will be a max number produced, but rather that we have to have a min number for Sinn to even consider production. Sure it would be great to have an LE, but it would also be nice to have an input into designing a watch we want, even if it is not an LE. Long story short, many companies charge much, much more for a truly limited edition model that what a standard costs. I have recently looked at the Swiss Army LE and it was priced at $4K where ales all their other models in that collection go for about $1K-$1.5K :think:

·
Registered
575 Posts
Definately not as excited as I was in the beginning, but I will wait and see if what is offered is worth the $ or not. Thanks SMSgt Bo and others for the efforting you put into this. A new Sinn look is cool in & of itself even if it is not a limited edition we designed.

·
Registered
184 Posts
SMSgt Bo,

Any further news? Has the rep returned? I know this is now a Sinn project rather than just a WUS project, but I am curious if we could get a WUS engraved model or at least a look at the new design. Need to know if I should wait for the Sinn model or move on to a different lumed dial diver.

·
WatchUSeek Administrator
39,171 Posts
Well folks, sorry for the delay but I've been busier than a one-legged man at a butt kicking contest. The truth is there hasn't been any updates as once my contact came back from vacation Mr. Schmidt went on vacation. Now everyone is back so I took some leave and drove up to Frankfurt to re-energize our project. My contact reiterated that Sinn will release a fully lumed U1 and possibly another fully lumed dial in a new case design sometime next year. Their head engineer has been wear-testing a fully lumed white dialed prototype for a couple of years now and Sinn is finally ready to go ahead with production. Since our WUS Sinn LE came very close to their final design they've offered us (WUS) the first 50 watches. We're still negotiating details of dial marking, caseback engraving, numbering and release timing. Neither of us want the WUS LE and the Sinn production models to both hit the market at the same time.

Sorry I didn't give updates sooner but I didn't have anything to report. Keep checking in and I'll post news as it happens.

·
WatchUSeek Administrator
39,171 Posts
I take it that there is nothing new on the homefront on this? :thanks
The recent release of 47mm Super U was the last piece of the WUS LE puzzle. Sinn offered us the same case back in August but I had to wait to mention it until The Hour Glass' LE was released. With the overwhelming response to keep the WUS LE at 44mm, I'll push that info to Sinn and get moving on our LE again.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.