WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don’t know if I’d call it discoloration it almost looks like the top layer of the strap is wearing away. Anyone else had this happen to their silicone strap? I have only been wearing it for about 2-3 weeks.

Here is the 12 o clock section of the strap for comparison, it has none of this strange wear on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
280 Posts
No I've never seen it on the 2 Sinn ruber straps I had over the years.

Maybe try washing it with dishwashing liquid and scrub with a toothbrush.
It may be some sort of left over oil or coating from the forming process.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have seen that type of thing on cheaper silicone straps, but never on something the quality of Sinn's. Are you in warranty by chance? If so, I would call up Watchbuys (assuming since you are U.S. based) and see what they say.

·
Premium Member
66,518 Posts
If it was rubber I’d say “no way” but I’m not so sure if it’s more acceptable on silicone. It’s a good quality strap so get in touch with Watchbuys about it.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
This may sound bad but I've only ever seen that before on my friends fake Sinn rubber strap he got of the net
some of my sinn rubber straps are 10 years old and still look like new

·
Registered
101 Posts
I've never had that issue with a Sinn strap. On the other hand, the strap that came with my U1 was a lint magnet. I eventually switched over to the bracelet.

·
Registered
359 Posts
...too bad, I'm currently shopping around for a 103 with a silicon strap...may opt for a calfskin or cowhide now that you mention this.

...appreciate the alert on this early wear characteristic!

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
These are great rubber strap and are made of vulcanized rubber. Its composition does not contain
Any kind of silicone just rubber though it is flexible as a silicone rubber without attracting dust.

https://youtu.be/czuAvVPdxCY

·
Registered
20,101 Posts
Could be a chemical reaction after an accidental contact with some kind of chemical substance...

None of the silicone straps I wore in the past has this. I always rince the watch head and strap as soon as I have access to fresh water.

·
Registered
288 Posts
None of mine have gone like that. They might become a bit shiny though. My first set on my Sinn U2 lasted for 10 years of being worn every day. Wore the raised Sinn lettering complexity flat, but still useable.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This may sound bad but I've only ever seen that before on my friends fake Sinn rubber strap he got of the net
some of my sinn rubber straps are 10 years old and still look like new
Lol hopefully that’s not the case the watch originally came from watchbuys.

Thanks for the input everyone, we’ll see I may contact watchbuys or maybe I’ll just keep it and call it patina. The silicone strap on my MM300 did a similar thing.

·
Registered
20,101 Posts
Lol hopefully that’s not the case the watch originally came from watchbuys.

Thanks for the input everyone, we’ll see I may contact watchbuys or maybe I’ll just keep it and call it patina. The silicone strap on my MM300 did a similar thing.

Maybe this issue is specific to your region?

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Maybe this issue is specific to your region?
Lol could be !

I guess I’m also not sure why they use silicone rather than “normal” rubber. I’ve always associated silicone with “cheaper” maybe it is or maybe I’m wrong. At least the strap is super comfortable.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Hmmm... that doesn't seem normal to me. Unless you exposed it to some sort of harsh chemical I wouldn't expect to see this, especially after such a short period of time. I'd contact Watchbuys if I were you.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hmmm... that doesn't seem normal to me. Unless you exposed it to some sort of harsh chemical I wouldn't expect to see this, especially after such a short period of time. I'd contact Watchbuys if I were you.
Ah gotcha

If I rub the strap with a paper towel I can rub away the the matte finish on the strap and it becomes slightly shiny.

·
Registered
20,101 Posts
Ah gotcha

If I rub the strap with a paper towel I can rub away the the matte finish on the strap and it becomes slightly shiny.

Reactions: Dakine234

·
Registered
111 Posts
I've had that happen once, work in a molecular lab and had a very mild reagent spill on the strap. But aside from that, I've never had any issues with these high quality straps.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Here’s how it looks now. Seems to have gotten worse, or maybe better depending on your perspective lol.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts