WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

My name is Fred, this is my first watch project, I like cushion style, 40mm size, 9.2mm thick, dial is not finalized yet.

Constructive criticism is welcome.

Concept_8_fix_2016-Dec-01_03-24-02PM-000_CustomizedView10450757144.png Concept_8_fix_2016-Dec-01_03-24-24PM-000_CustomizedView18824523365.png Concept_8_fix_2016-Dec-01_03-24-39PM-000_CustomizedView22030611526.png Concept_8_fix_2016-Dec-01_03-25-18PM-000_CustomizedView1470482708.png Concept_8_fix_2016-Dec-01_03-26-30PM-000_CustomizedView5456580508.png Concept_8_fix_2016-Dec-01_03-26-51PM-000_CustomizedView18195553308.png

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Overall the case looks nice.

There are not enough details, but can say at first go I like that you are keeping it at 40 mm and like that the lugs curve down.

My only criticism is with the the top of the case, I would like to see it curved down similar to the lugs or have a greater edge finish. The fact that it is flat will make it wear much larger and does not flow with nicely with the lugs

Lets see some more details particularly your choice of finish, crystal and crown.

·
Registered
7,777 Posts
Looks fairly nice, although I agree with Solex that it "doesn't flow nicely with the lugs".
What is it intended to be? A sports watch? An art-deco revival of cushion-cased 1930s watches? 1970s cushion case revival (think of the Heuer Camaro) style?

Reactions: fredlim

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thank you all for the feedback.

I agreed that the top flat face is a problem, I tested the 3D print on my wrist, in addition that the face does not flow with the lugs, the 4 corners of the top face looks a bit strange on wrist, I think maybe because I choose a rather round bottom case.

This watch is not a chronograph, the design is intended for art-deco revival of cushion-cased watch.

·
Registered
7,777 Posts
Then you might think of using a high-domed sapphire or hesalite crystal, that should give it a vintage feel. But quite definitely you will have to rework the lugs, these look straight out of the 1970s.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your suggestion and I learned a lot.

After review some reference pictures, most 1930 watches have small second (6H) or no second. While center second is key element in my design. In that case, a 1970 cushion style would be more appropriate.

Or is it weird to mix different era design in one design? For instance, rounded cushion with wire lugs, embossed bar indexes, center second?

·
Registered
7,777 Posts
I'd need to see it to be able to tell if it'd work... But if you're asking if a 1970s dial and hands design would work in, say, a 1930s Dennison cushion case, the answer is no.

There are known early specimens of sweep seconds watches in cushion cases, but you'd need to keep it art-deco...

·
Registered
7,777 Posts
The lugs on that LF remind me of 1970s Poljots a bit too much...

I'd rather go in the art-deco direction... I think that if you wanna go 1970s, it'd be way better to do that with an Autavia-style chrono or whatnot.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Actually I think your lug design is very neat. It reminds me of my Eterna watch, this model:

I would prefer a smaller case since I find that square shaped watches wears pretty big.

I look forward to see your dial design!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I think the lug design looks good.

I also made a slight, crude adjustment by drawing on your render with my phone stylus as an alternative option.

I would love this with a 60/70's style chronograph design.
Thanks goody2141, I have another case that have similar lug, but since my current design is not a chronograph, I might use that for future project.

d2.png

I have a new rendering that have fake wire lug, looks good in rendering, but maybe not good in real life, because the open lug will not have sharp edge like in the rendering. I have to change it to solid wire lug, or rework it completely. I also attach my draft of the dial, wellcome for comment or criticism.

d3.png d3-s.png

·
Registered
30 Posts
A very classic and neat design. I cant make up my mind about the lugs in post #17. Look strange to me, but still they add a unique touch to the watch which I really like. What kind of crystal will you use, flat or domed?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the comment, I tried other shape but it will be very similar to other brands, this is a trial for the lugs design. Last week I printed the 3D model and tested on my wrist, I think I need to adjust the shape of the lugs.
The crystal is curved sapphire crystal, movement is SW210-1, a manual wind watch.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts