WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
so I guess the lack of reaction means don't touch it?

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
I'd decribe the overall condtion as "rough." Apart from the hands being rather chewed up, the case certainly displays some hard use. The seller claims that it has been serviced, but with ebay, you never know.

If you're willing to make an effort to get the case refinished and have the crystal, hands (and possibly dial) replaced, and if you don't mind that those parts won't be original, you could end up with a nice, rugged watch at a good price.

In its current state, I wouldn't want to spend more than $500-600.

Good luck!

eric

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks, sort of what I figured, but nice to have it confirmed

Mark

·
Premium Member
12,913 Posts
Hi

Case back is scratched, minute and hour hands need to be relumed, the case need a rebrushing and the movement a service.
Not much that 500 -600 $ in this condition.

regards

georges

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If I go for it I may leave the case and caseback as is, I would be getting it as a working watch so it would possibly suffer as I do support work (not intentionally, so a re lume and service may suffice me. Is this likely to be expensive?

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
Fantstic beater

If I go for it I may leave the case and caseback as is, I would be getting it as a working watch so it would possibly suffer as I do support work (not intentionally, so a re lume and service may suffice me. Is this likely to be expensive?
If you're looking for a knock-around beater, I don't think you could pick a better chronograph than the Mk II. The super rugged c.861 (the same movement as Speedy Pro) housed in that monster case makes it virtually bullet-proof.

You could have the dial and hands relumed for around $100, or you could replace the dial and hands for roughly double that. If the seller is honest and it has been recently serviced, you'll have saved yourself a couple hundred dollars.

Good luck!

eric

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: Fantstic beater

If you're looking for a knock-around beater, I don't think you could pick a better chronograph than the Mk II. The super rugged c.861 (the same movement as Speedy Pro) housed in that monster case makes it virtually bullet-proof.

You could have the dial and hands relumed for around $100, or you could replace the dial and hands for roughly double that. If the seller is honest and it has been recently serviced, you'll have saved yourself a couple hundred dollars.

Good luck!

eric
is there a simple way on receipt of a watch to tell if it has been serviced recently?

thanks

Mark

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
I couldn't

is there a simple way on receipt of a watch to tell if it has been serviced recently?

thanks

Mark
The first thing I'd do is ask the seller if he has a receipt from the watchmaker. If not, your local watchmaker may be able to examine the movement and determine the condition of the lubricants, for example.

At the risk of stating the obvious, the purpose of servicing is to bring the movement up to optimal operating condition, cleaning the various parts and properly lubricating so that it runs well and doesn't prematurely wear. The c.861 is a rugged, durable movement that probably requires servicing less often than most.

eric

1 - 9 of 9 Posts