WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm very intrigued by the Flieger style watch, but I fear that a 40mm case (that wears bigger than it is) might look silly on my 6" wrist. I understand that straps make wear smaller they they are (perhaps to counter the huge dial), but this is something I'd definitely like to see before jumping in.

I have a few 40mm and even 42mm watches, but they've all got large bezels and short lugs. Per the Stowa website, the 40mm case used in autos has a 48.9mm lug-lug distance, which is longer than any watch I have, save the Speedy, and that watch really pushes my limits as far as size. If anybody's got a <6.5" wrist wearing either of these watches, I'd love to see pics from as many angles as possible. Thanks!

·
Registered
724 Posts
I'm very intrigued by the Flieger style watch, but I fear that a 40mm case (that wears bigger than it is) might look silly on my 6" wrist. I understand that straps make wear smaller they they are (perhaps to counter the huge dial), but this is something I'd definitely like to see before jumping in.

I have a few 40mm and even 42mm watches, but they've all got large bezels and short lugs. Per the Stowa website, the 40mm case used in autos has a 48.9mm lug-lug distance, which is longer than any watch I have, save the Speedy, and that watch really pushes my limits as far as size. If anybody's got a <6.5" wrist wearing either of these watches, I'd love to see pics from as many angles as possible. Thanks!
I believe the lug to lug distance on a Speedy Pro is 48mm. So the Stowa would actually be bigger is that respect as it is reportedly 48.9 mm lug to lug.

·
Registered
8,838 Posts
I have a wrist somewhere in the 6.5-6.7" area and have no problem w/ the airman...it has a case length on the long side, but has a nice sleek curve to lugs etc. & that makes it easier to wear for those of us w/ smaller wrists. 40mm is as big a watch w/ a thin bezel I'll wear. Wrist pics are deceiving though...........................

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I believe the lug to lug distance on a Speedy Pro is 48mm. So the Stowa would actually be bigger is that respect as it is reportedly 48.9 mm lug to lug.
The Speedy lug-lug distance is about 48mm, which was big enough that I had to swap out the original bracelet for an 1171. The bracelet it came with has SEL that stick out, making the watch too big, the 1171 w/ 633 endlinks makes it wear smaller (kind of).

The Airman looks larger than I thought on a 6.25" wrist based on Bishamon's pictures. I guess that basically rules out this watch for me. I might consider the Archimede Pilot M with 39mm case and 46mm lug-lug length. However, their strap is clearly inferior and probably too long for my wrist. all the aftermarket straps I've seen for short wrists are cheap in quality. :-(

·
Registered
8,838 Posts
if I may make a suggestion as to straps.......I am a big fan of the Di Modell "Rallye" strap....I have it on 2 "fleiger" style watches...I've seen them on all kinds...Speedys, Explorere type watches..... check it out.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I second suggestion for DiModell Rallye - I wear it on Speedy Pro and my Airman. Well made, brings a sporty side to an airman watch.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts