WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I'm a chopper pilot flying over the North Sea. I'm looking for a nice ABC (+depth gauge for holidays) watch and am very interested in the all black Core. How's the readability of this display? Or should I stick with the normal display?

Further, how strong is the backlight? I don't want to be blinded during night flight because of a too strong backlight.

In terms of durability, how does the Core measure up to the Vector (to my understanding worn by many soldiers, so it's gotta be durable ;-))?

·
Registered
14,025 Posts
You need to hear from MIKEDEPLOYED! He is a blackhawk pilot in Europe!

Havent seen him on in a day or so. But he could probably shed some light on the situation. (HA pun intended... I crack me up).

·
Registered
470 Posts
Vector vs Core. Had a Vector, past tense. Have a Core, present tense. Vector enus are indecipherable. Features and display of the Core are IMO much better.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I think it's true that you'll get used to anything, but I also think that whoever wrote the firmware for the Core really did an above-average job of making the menus (which are pretty detailed) very easy to navigate and understand without the book. Just about everything has meaningful, plain English labels. Quite well done, IMO!

·
Registered
278 Posts
Hey ChooseDennis! I have a core all black and love it. I love every aspect of it. It's very accurate, even in the aircraft. To tell you the truth, each one of the Suuntos I own I've flown with, and each are very accurate. I personally really like the negative display. The backlight is great, not too bright. Not sure if you fly any goggles or just un-aided, but the backlight doesn't light up the cockpit when you activate it. What I'm saying is that it is not distracting. Go with the core. I like it.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It has made its first flight today, and I was impressed by the accuracy. Altitude within 10 metres and that's not bad at all considering I was wearing it under my survival suit sleeve and was doing 160 knots and compass was within 15 degrees (also not bad considering the metal around).

It's a keeper!

D

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nope, it depends on how many layers of clothing you have below your suit of course. It's basically meant to prevent cold shock when being submerged in the helo and to get out. Then you'll have to get into the liferafts ASAP, your life will depend on it. SAR can take up to 3 hours before they'll get to you (unless you ditched near a rig). Water temp goes down to 3 degrees centigrade so hypothermia will kick in pretty fast (minutes), no suit will keep you warm in those temps.

It's not something I'm looking forward to, that's why we fly the expensive helos (multi-engine, multi-crew) with all the extra gadgets (autopilots, etc), but unfortunately it's something you have to keep in mind and be prepared for when flying over the sea.

At least now I have a Core and be able to tell the survivors what the temp is, when the storm is arriving and know the heading that we're drifting :).

·
Registered
14,025 Posts
I know what its like, this morning I burnt my lip on some hot coffee! LOL....

Man, that's incredible!

Yep, survival is about prepping for the worst and hoping for the best! You stay dry!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts