WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
8,375 Posts
Haha... certainly, the quartz watches - specifically G-Shocks - win the durability contest. And, I HAVE dropped my Rolex onto a tile floor from about 4 feet. Not on purpose, mind you. It did NOT fare well.

But, this was just about accuracy. And, I was surprised at how accurate mechanical watches CAN be. It was kinda fun to refute the conventional wisdom that "any cheap Casio will keep better time than a Rolex." True much of the time, but not ALL of the time, which is why "any" renders the statement absolute and therefore false.

I also refuted the notion that mo' money = mo' accuracy. That's definitely not true.

I'm not touting one brand over another. I'm not touting one type of movement over the other. That's why I have and enjoy both! 😁 My intent was not to start some silly debate over whose dog is better or who has a bigger hoo-ha.

That's why my conclusion reads, "Whether comparing mechanical to quartz, mechanical to mechanical, or quartz to quartz, your mileage may vary, regardless of the price paid. If accuracy is your thing, you can find your bliss at all price points."

But, it was fun gathering some data over several months from my varied (albeit modest) collection. I cannot claim to have reached any scientific conclusions (that would take a MUCH larger sample size than I can afford!). But, there you have it... my personal observations over the last several months with my personal collection.
so basically its a tale of semantics? as we know very few ppl are that adamant about "any cheap Casio will keep better time than a Rolex". any reasonable person out there would know (or not be so naive to) there are more accurate and less accurate models available BUT a fact thats proven time and time again is in general, with regular wear and tear average across all mechanics and quartzeses, quartz is always more accurate.
so the real conclusion is... ppl will write about anything if it gets traffic to that article 😉

I've got plenty of those (MB6 and BT), too. But, they're "cheating." My focus was on the inherent accuracy of the various movements / watches. I could manually sync any of my watches with the atomic clock on a nightly basis and achieve the same accuracy as the MB6 watches that do it automatically. But, that would be cheatin'! 🤪
cheating is needing it to be serviced regularly to continually achieve that accuracy ;)
so whats the difference between a free "service" once a month/week/day to an expensive one every few years?

·
Premium Member
7,382 Posts
Ah... OK. I'm abbreviation / acronym-challenged.

The "TC" HAQ watches go for a pretty penny. The UHF (ultra-high frequency) watches are quite the bargain by comparison.

Cut from the article was my section about those two things.

My Bulova Lunar Pilot (UHF / 262 kHz) and my Hamilton PSR (movement unknown) are both clocking in at 3.65 s/y (or 0.01 s/d).
There are quite a few cheaper HAQs, too. Certina makes some. The Seiko Dolces had the 8j and were very well priced (not sure if they are still produced). The Longines VHP is the best offering for the money in my opinion. You can get one brand new for around 700 USD or used for a steal and it is spec'ed for +5 spy.

By comparison you are right though, Bulova is still far cheaper of course, but I just wanted to point out HAQ does exist below 1k. Speaking of Bulova, their new electrostatic movement is just incredible to see in motion and a really cool and unique quartz. Check out a video of the spinning turbines if you get a chance.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
There are quite a few cheaper HAQs, too. Certina makes some. The Seiko Dolces had the 8j and were very well priced (not sure if they are still produced). The Longines VHP is the best offering for the money in my opinion. You can get one brand new for around 700 USD or used for a steal and it is spec'ed for +5 spy.
View attachment 15932465
By comparison you are right though, Bulova is still far cheaper of course, but I just wanted to point out HAQ does exist below 1k. Speaking of Bulova, their new electrostatic movement is just incredible to see in motion and a really cool and unique quartz. Check out a video of the spinning turbines if you get a chance.
View attachment 15932469
Cool. I had not heard of anything new from Accutron. I'll look it up.

·
Premium Member
7,382 Posts
Cool. I had not heard of anything new from Accutron. I'll look it up.
It is pricey and more than willing to pay, but if one turned up used I'd jump on it.

Reactions: Dxnnis

·
Registered
153 Posts
Improve on -0.35 s/d?? Haha... 1/3 second per day is AMAZING for a mechanical watch. I'm quite happy with that. I wouldn't touch it!
After reading this, I must point out that many G-Shocks can also be regulated and improved from the accuracy they happen to run at after leaving the factory. Don't know of these exact models you have chosen, but many have a built-in trimming screw that can be used to regulate the watch. The GW-5000 (and others with that same movement) is a nice example.

Usually the factory calibration level is enough for most users, even with the official spec that is more lenient than the watches are actually capable of, but in this context and given the wording of your conclusions, it's of course relevant: for each potential model with trimming ability in this comparison, be they mechanical or digital, if they weren't adjusted for the test (I figure the mechanical was adjusted when it was serviced like you said), it's only a random selection of how the watches happened to be set at that moment, not the best accuracy they can actually run at.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
I must point out that many G-Shocks can also be regulated and improved from the accuracy they happen to run at after leaving the factory.
Yes. I'm aware. In fact, I believe the G-7800 has such a feature. But, admittedly, I have not cracked the back open, yet.

it's only a random selection of how the watches happened to be set at that moment, not the best accuracy they can actually run at.
Of course. I have a regular "day job." I'm a recreational hobbyist and writer. As I mentioned earlier, I have neither the resources nor patience / desire to run a truly scientific experiment. These are just MY observations from MY collection (all purchased with my own money). I'm doing this for fun. The article is more intended to entertain than to advise.

As they say... Your mileage may vary! ;)

·
Registered
70 Posts
I will say this for my Casio Oceanus, I don’t have to adjust it when we change months or between Std and DST, that’s for sure. Maybe I just have a cheap Explorer, but my Casio’s beat it hands down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
I don't measure one watch against another, nor do I have an app or any special machines. But I can say that after about 10-14 days, I need to adjust my mechanical Longines Hydroconquest about 5 minutes back. (I need to do this because I sometimes take the bus, and accuracy that's off by more than a minute can make a difference.) On the other hand, I've never owned a quartz watch that I've had to adjust other than twice a year. For daylight savings time. And I suspect if daylight savings time were no longer a thing, I would probably not even need to adjust the watch.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
But I can say that after about 10-14 days, I need to adjust my mechanical Longines Hydroconquest about 5 minutes back.
So, that's about 30 seconds per day. I'd expect better from a watch that costs that much. But, then again... it supports one of my points, which is that accuracy is not related to price paid. :)

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
So, that's about 30 seconds per day. I'd expect better from a watch that costs that much. But, then again... it supports one of my points, which is that accuracy is not related to price paid. :)
It's maybe 5 years old by now, never serviced and has seen its fair share of bumps. All my stuff are beater things. It used to keep much better time.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
It's maybe 5 years old by now, never serviced and has seen its fair share of bumps. All my stuff are beater things. It used to keep much better time.
The most important thing is that you enjoy it... in good health! Thanks for sharing.

I've seen my share of bumps, too. And, I can't remember when I was last serviced! ;)

·
Registered
430 Posts
Huh. I guess my experience is different.
Set my two quartz watches (swiss and American made), and now they deviate by about 10 seconds.
My GS watches are within a second of true time. Well, the GS quartz is dead on. Even with Daylight savings, I don't have to set the minute/second hand (just the hour hand).

61 - 78 of 78 Posts