WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting close to a decision on a purchase that would be a big step up for me. The current front-runner is the Omega Seamaster 300 Master Co-Axial (the blue one in titanium).

300.jpg

I've talked myself out of pretty much every other watch I've looked at, and am trying to make sure there isn't something I'm overlooking here.

Comparing to the other watches I've considered, the downsides I can think of are really just:

1. There are no complications at all, not even a date.
2. There's nothing applied on the dial; it's all printed.

And honestly, I think changing either one of these things would worsen the watch overall.

I know the Planet Ocean has a date and the option of a GMT or chronograph complication, and is highly recommended on this forum. It has a dial that "pops" more than the 300, and a great following. I really love it in pictures, and in the metal it screams quality, but I have tried a few on, and have to admit that somehow it just doesn't suit me, on the wrist. It's a disappointment, but it also simplifies things. The 300, the AT, and some of the Speedmasters are all options, but sadly not the PO.

I think the 300 would work just fine when I very occasionally have to dress up, would be suitable for my casual work environment, and on the weekends. Whatever I buy next is something I'd plan to wear most days, and eventually be a part of a small rotation of maybe three watches.

So the versatility and classic look of the watch appeals, and there's also a sort of geeky appeal to the liquidmetal ceramic bezel, the lightness of the titanium case and bracelet, and the anti-magnetic co-axial movement. I acknowledge that there is little practical purpose to any of this, but it's something I suspect I'd enjoy.

I currently only own just one watch -- a Hamilton Khaki Navy Pioneer. I love it, but would really like something on a bracelet and with some lume, to go along with it. My previous attempt to step up a bit was a TAG Heuer Carrera 1887, but I had endless trouble with it, and after a couple of repair attempts and a replacement that was also broken, they eventually just gave me my money back.

20150919_121940.jpg

So I'm planning on moving up a rung or two to an Omega (or maybe a Rolex), and going for a simpler but higher quality watch.

The other knocks against the 300 I've heard on the forum are the "faux patina" lume color and the PCLs. I actually like the look of both features, especially on the version with the blue dial and bezel.

So is there anything else I should be thinking about? Any owners with complaints about the watch? I don't want a big collection, or to become a flipper. I've been researching and trying on a lot (for a few months already), and hoping to make a purchase that I'll feel good about for years.

I'm also considering the Aqua Terra (interesting, faceted, applied aspects to the dial, and a date function, but a bit dressier, and without the ceramic bezel) and a Rolex Explorer II (date and 24-hour hand complications, also with a beautiful dial, but I am not sure I like the cyclops or the steel back -- the display backs on the Omegas I am looking at are a big plus for me).

I've also taken a good look at the Speedmaster 57 broad arrow (similar case and hands to the 300, with date and chrono complications) and Mark II Racing (amazing looking watch, but less versatile, and one I suspect I might grow tired of).

You can probably tell I am drawn to Omega as a brand. The Explorer II is the only non-Omega currently in serious consideration.

So what do you think? Go for the 300? Or is there a good reason to hesitate and consider something else?

·
Registered
7,847 Posts
The original SM300, the CK 2913, also had no applied features on the dial. And that's what this watch is a "reissue" of.
Why is the lack of complications a downside? In that respect, the SM300 is just like the Rolex Submariner no-date. I've seen too many watches, where the symmetry of the dial has been ruined by a date window- fortunately, that can't be said of the SM300. Although some people just can't live without the date feature.
That said, I can't see anything that would be a reason not to buy it. It's all about whether you like the way it looks and wears- and deciding whether the SM300 fits these criteria is up to you. Anyway, technically, I can't see anything wrong with the watch.

·
Registered
254 Posts
EightEyes, the blue titanium is a beauty.
But to answer your question, the only reason not to buy one is a reason that you've already mentioned - lack of date. This isn't an issue if the watch is for weekend wear or if one is retired but for a working man (your post implies that you are) it's simply just a frightful pain in the arse.

·
Registered
209 Posts
My first Omega was a Planet Ocean. Still wear it although I've removed the steel bracket and gone to the rubber strap. But if I had it to do all over again I'd start with a speed master. Not the broad arrow but the standard speedy pro. To me this is Omega's most iconic watch. It looks great on steel, on leather or croc, on a nato or vintage leather. It's also a bit cheaper and will retain its value better. I see the new 300MC on the forums for considerably less than retail.

That being said, you have to go with what moves you. Go put it on, you'll know instantly whether or not you want it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
You will get used to the lack of date, the Seamaster 300 SM is a beautiful watch, I do prefer applied logo and indices on the dial but having seen it in person, it's a beauty

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
I am getting close to a decision on a purchase that would be a big step up for me. The current front-runner is the Omega Seamaster 300 Master Co-Axial (the blue one in titanium).

I've talked myself out of pretty much every other watch I've looked at, and am trying to make sure there isn't something I'm overlooking here.

Comparing to the other watches I've considered, the downsides I can think of are really just:

1. There are no complications at all, not even a date.
2. There's nothing applied on the dial; it's all printed.

And honestly, I think changing either one of these things would worsen the watch overall.

I know the Planet Ocean has a date and the option of a GMT or chronograph complication, and is highly recommended on this forum. It has a dial that "pops" more than the 300, and a great following. I really love it in pictures, and in the metal it screams quality, but I have tried a few on, and have to admit that somehow it just doesn't suit me, on the wrist. It's a disappointment, but it also simplifies things. The 300, the AT, and some of the Speedmasters are all options, but sadly not the PO.

I think the 300 would work just fine when I very occasionally have to dress up, would be suitable for my casual work environment, and on the weekends. Whatever I buy next is something I'd plan to wear most days, and eventually be a part of a small rotation of maybe three watches.

So the versatility and classic look of the watch appeals, and there's also a sort of geeky appeal to the liquidmetal ceramic bezel, the lightness of the titanium case and bracelet, and the anti-magnetic co-axial movement. I acknowledge that there is little practical purpose to any of this, but it's something I suspect I'd enjoy.

I currently only own just one watch -- a Hamilton Khaki Navy Pioneer. I love it, but would really like something on a bracelet and with some lume, to go along with it. My previous attempt to step up a bit was a TAG Heuer Carrera 1887, but I had endless trouble with it, and after a couple of repair attempts and a replacement that was also broken, they eventually just gave me my money back.

So I'm planning on moving up a rung or two to an Omega (or maybe a Rolex), and going for a simpler but higher quality watch.

The other knocks against the 300 I've heard on the forum are the "faux patina" lume color and the PCLs. I actually like the look of both features, especially on the version with the blue dial and bezel.

So is there anything else I should be thinking about? Any owners with complaints about the watch? I don't want a big collection, or to become a flipper. I've been researching and trying on a lot (for a few months already), and hoping to make a purchase that I'll feel good about for years.

I'm also considering the Aqua Terra (interesting, faceted, applied aspects to the dial, and a date function, but a bit dressier, and without the ceramic bezel) and a Rolex Explorer II (date and 24-hour hand complications, also with a beautiful dial, but I am not sure I like the cyclops or the steel back -- the display backs on the Omegas I am looking at are a big plus for me).

I've also taken a good look at the Speedmaster 57 broad arrow (similar case and hands to the 300, with date and chrono complications) and Mark II Racing (amazing looking watch, but less versatile, and one I suspect I might grow tired of).

You can probably tell I am drawn to Omega as a brand. The Explorer II is the only non-Omega currently in serious consideration.

So what do you think? Go for the 300? Or is there a good reason to hesitate and consider something else?
Of the concerns you voiced there are really only two ones could later become a real annoyance - the polished center links and lack of date.
With the steel SM300 MC you can have the center links brushed quite easily, but not so with the titanium. And if you REALLY must have a date function on your watch then you'd best look elsewhere.

As for the dial, while it doesn't have applied markers the indices aren't purely painted on either - the hours are actually recessed so it adds a bit of three dimensionality.

If you're comfortable with the weight (exceedingly light), the aged color of the lume, and the thickness (15mm) then the SM300 MC is a slam dunk.
A good alternative (but up a price bracket) is the newest Rolex Sea Dweller. Doesn't have the cyclops but has a date function, gorgeous ceramic bezel, a fantastic bracelet and clasp, and with better case and bezel proportions than the redesigned Submariners.

One final thing to consider is if the SM300 MC is going to be an everyday watch the lug width (21mm) makes strap choices tougher. Most 22mm straps can be fitted down a size, but if you really need perfectly fitted straps the selection will be limited.

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'll give you 3 reasons.
1. Faux patina. Patina should be natural!!
2. Polished center links. Scratches start on day one.
3. The future of Omega is Master Chronometer. Wait for the new PO.
Interesting. What is the advantage of the Master Chronometer over the Master Co-axial?

The PO is not for me, unfortunately, but if we're expecting an improved movement to roll out across the range, it might be a good idea to wait.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Its the same movement with the 15000 gauss amagnetic propreties but the whole watch (with the COSC movement inside) gets through a battery of METAS validated tests (swiss institute of metrology if I recall well) giving it the name of master chronometer. Magnetic resistance are included and the best feature imho is accuracy that has to be in +0/to +5s a day. Basically a master chronometer should never lose time.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Two reasons not to buy one:
1. no applied indices (applied indices makes gives the dial a depth that you could find yourself admiring).
2. polished center links (but maybe you like this)

Reasons to buy one:
too many

Reactions: EightEyes

·
Registered
102 Posts
I second the SMPc idea. Since I got mine I never took it off the wrist again. Also I haven't spotted another ceramic SMP yet. Everyone seems to be wearing the wave dial version.

My advice: Get a used SMPc and wait for baselworld. Worst case you sell it with a profit after the next price raise.

Gesendet von meinem LG-H815 mit Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,149 Posts
I am not a fan of the bracelet design or polished center links.

Reactions: EightEyes

·
Registered
10,505 Posts
Not having a date window is NOT a reason not to buy one.
Think of the benefits: A most plausible reason for forgetting, Birthdays, anniversaries and any other special occasions!
Let's be honest, it happens to us guy's.
It's almost the perfect 'get out of jail' card. :-! :-d

1 - 20 of 96 Posts