WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

Long time lurker but first time poster here. I bought my first G-Shock last week as I wanted something I could wear and not worry about. I picked up an AW-591-2AER. It was cheap enough and I liked the design, relatively small, nice blue colour and analogue / digital mix.

Long story short I took it for a dip in the pool today and the whole dial has misted up and not cleared (see below pic). I've seen all sorts of fixes, e.g. Rice but as it was new it's going back.

As there are a lot of experts here, I was wondering if anybody could recommend a suitable replacement. Ideally a small wearing G-Shock, with analogue and digital display and one that cam survive a dip in the pool, preferably under £80. (or am i asking too much? :))

·
Registered
214 Posts
I've never had a water resistant watch do this unless the seals were already compromised, was this a real G-shock or a counterfeit? I guess the only advice I could give would be to surf ebay and try for a lightly used one. Sometimes you can find something good at Yahoo auctions Japan, too.

If the watch still runs, you'll have to take it apart to dry it out. If its a real Gshock you may be able to get new seals for it.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
It's off-scope from your ana/digi display requirement but it's worth a try.

Here a DW5600 on my 6.5" wrist. Bought it $70 brand new.

Sent from my SM-N935F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Hi there,

Long time lurker but first time poster here. I bought my first G-Shock last week as I wanted something I could wear and not worry about. I picked up an AW-591-2AER. It was cheap enough and I liked the design, relatively small, nice blue colour and analogue / digital mix.

Long story short I took it for a dip in the pool today and the whole dial has misted up and not cleared (see below pic). I've seen all sorts of fixes, e.g. Rice but as it was new it's going back.

As there are a lot of experts here, I was wondering if anybody could recommend a suitable replacement. Ideally a small wearing G-Shock, with analogue and digital display and one that cam survive a dip in the pool, preferably under £80. (or am i asking too much? :))

View attachment 15447652
Did you buy this used? If it's a used piece, the O-rings/rubber gasket/seals have not been replaced properly.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Hello. If you could do only with a digital display, I would recommend you to search for a G-Shock square you'd find appealing. GW-M5610 for starters comes to mind, I think it would fit in your price range. Squares are small, robust, the one I mentioned is solar powered and radio controlled etc. But I understand the design is not for everybody. :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've never had a water resistant watch do this unless the seals were already compromised, was this a real G-shock or a counterfeit? I guess the only advice I could give would be to surf ebay and try for a lightly used one. Sometimes you can fine something good at Yahoo auctions Japan, too.

Definitely real. Bought from an official supplier here in the UK. I read so much about how they were bomb proof so I was shocked that this happened on the first dip...

·
Registered
631 Posts
A similar style model is the AWG-M100. Also about the same cost, AND it has MB6 (atomic) and Solar. Light on the wrist. Considered a "medium" sized G-Shock.

If you like it a bit bigger, almost the same watch... but, no MB6.
GAS100-1A

·
Registered
171 Posts
Hopefully you didn't press any buttons while swimming with the watch on. Those are only water resistant and the seal on the button only works while the buttons are not pressed. Plus, chlorine is really bad on watch seals, but normally won't destroy a seal that quickly.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hopefully you didn't press any buttons while swimming with the watch on. Those are only water resistant and the seal on the button only works while the buttons are not pressed. Plus, chlorine is really bad on watch seals, but normally won't destroy a seal that quickly.
Didn't push any buttons whilst in the pool, but also good to know for future reference. Is this the same for all G-Shocks?

·
Registered
147 Posts
That should not have happened. However, don't give up on that watch. You simply need to remove the four screws on the caseback, and let it dry out. Then apply lithium grease to the gasket and replace the caseback. You'll be good as new.

That or just return it. But what happened to you is definitely not normal.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Didn't push any buttons whilst in the pool, but also good to know for future reference. Is this the same for all G-Shocks?
It's hard to say. From my understanding they are supposed to have the membrane as well as the seals inside the buttons to prevent water from coming in. I have read people claiming that they have pressed their buttons underwater on their G-Shocks and it has worked fine, but I have also read other claiming that in 4 feet of water that their watch didn't do so hot. For me, as a rule of thumb I do not operate any buttons while underwater as I have had watches in the past leak when they were supposed to have the seal on the inside. I guess slight imperfections on manufacturing the watch has caused the watch to not be as water resistant as they claim. Also, if there was any chance of the back being removed from the watch for any reason, the seal may not set properly unless a new o-ring was added back on with proper tightening of the screws.

Maybe I am just one that prefers to err on the side of caution.

Actually, from Casio themselves:

Code:
Even if a watch is water-resistant, do not operate its buttons or crown while it is submersed in water or wet.
       However, “DIVER’S WATCH 200M” casing models permit underwater button operation.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Could just be a fluke with this example (and not symptomatic of the brand or model). Maybe exchange it for another... since you liked the watch... and give it another try.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts