WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I have the exact same watch. I have swum with it many times and never had such a problem. Yours must be a defective product. I would return it and get another one, the same model. View attachment 15448058
I'm glad yours is serving you well. As much as I liked it it's just annoyed me now which has taken the shine off massively. I've just ordered the GA-2100 now direct from G-shock. Picked it up for £80 so just about in budget. Looking forward to hopefully a better experience.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Definitely real. Bought from an official supplier here in the UK. I read so much about how they were bomb proof so I was shocked that this happened on the first dip...
I'm returning it for full refund. Lost faith in the model and dealer tbh so that's why I'm looking for an alternative to replace it with
The fact it was on the first dip is not surprising if the product is faulty. It's the expected outcome correct?

As you say, you've read up about G-Shock so you should know enough to not go off the handle due to one bad example. Perhaps a seal wasn't done correctly. It's a cheap watch, manufacturing issues happen. Get your money back and look forward to probably never experiencing the issue again. Getting all worked up about it, writing off a dealer (they don't make the watches..) and writing off a model based on 1 example - these all seem like irrational things to do.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
The fact it was on the first dip is not surprising if the product is faulty. It's the expected outcome correct?

As you say, you've read up about G-Shock so you should know enough to not go off the handle due to one bad example. Perhaps a seal wasn't done correctly. It's a cheap watch, manufacturing issues happen. Get your money back and look forward to probably never experiencing the issue again. Getting all worked up about it, writing off a dealer (they don't make the watches..) and writing off a model based on 1 example - these all seem like irrational things to do.
Haha I 'm not getting all worked up, just wanted a watch I could put on and not worry about it. This one didn't work out so I'm trying a new one and came here for some suggestions from people who know more than I do.

Re the dealer no they don't make the watches but it was my first purchase with them and was a dud, and there are plenty of others to buy from so that's my choice. And re the model, I like to bond with my watches, from my expensive watches down to my affordables. This model let me down so if i just replaced it would bother me and play on my mind every time I went for a swim. Not saying any of its rational but humans aren't rational and neither is this hobby

I'm sure the incoming GA-2100 will scratch the itch and come with me on multiple swims ;)

·
Registered
533 Posts
Casios with depth meter functions are designed to have buttons pressed while underwater, not necessarily so with watches with chronometer functions. As mentioned earlier you could have undone the case back screws and backed the cover off to let it dry out, you don't have to remove it completely. The very thin rear gasket may be slightly dislodged or some small particle is trapped under it if it has ever been removed since the watch was made.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I'm glad yours is serving you well. As much as I liked it it's just annoyed me now which has taken the shine off massively. I've just ordered the GA-2100 now direct from G-shock. Picked it up for £80 so just about in budget. Looking forward to hopefully a better experience.
Great choice! That model is currently in demand now. Haven't seen a price lower than $100 right now anywhere in my country. You got it for a bargain price, considering the high demand for the "Casioak." Congrats and enjoy it once it arrives. 👍

Reactions: rik13

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
It can happen, guess you're just unlucky but it's very rare.

I bought an AWG a few years ago and part of the gasket was sticking out the caseback which would obviously affect the water resistance.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Great choice! That model is currently in demand now. Haven't seen a price lower than $100 right now anywhere in my country. You got it for a bargain price, considering the high demand for the "Casioak." Congrats and enjoy it once it arrives. 👍
Was £50 earlier today, sold out now...

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Yep. Haven't seen this much demand for a G-Shock since the XL models (GA-100, GD-100, and GA-110).

·
Premium Member
21,576 Posts
If you like a small ani-digi G-Shock, then there is no better option than the AWGM100A-1A, solar powered, and multiband 6 radio synchronization, for an effortless experience.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Did you

Wow, awesome dude. Did you modify it? The color looks slightly different
It's all stock. I bought it exactly for the vintage-y yellow/ gold tone of the display.
Reference is DW-5600EG-9.

Sent from my SM-N935F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
191 Posts
It's hard to say. From my understanding they are supposed to have the membrane as well as the seals inside the buttons to prevent water from coming in. I have read people claiming that they have pressed their buttons underwater on their G-Shocks and it has worked fine, but I have also read other claiming that in 4 feet of water that their watch didn't do so hot. For me, as a rule of thumb I do not operate any buttons while underwater as I have had watches in the past leak when they were supposed to have the seal on the inside. I guess slight imperfections on manufacturing the watch has caused the watch to not be as water resistant as they claim. Also, if there was any chance of the back being removed from the watch for any reason, the seal may not set properly unless a new o-ring was added back on with proper tightening of the screws.

Maybe I am just one that prefers to err on the side of caution.

Actually, from Casio themselves:

Code:
Even if a watch is water-resistant, do not operate its buttons or crown while it is submersed in water or wet.
       However, “DIVER’S WATCH 200M” casing models permit underwater button operation.
Hello all,
You can count me in the people reporting no damage whatsoever after pressing the buttons while in the water or after a water splash.

I often take the toddler to the swimming pool and we time how long he can stay in the water, I pressed the buttons a lot to set the time while already in the water. And countless times pressed the EL button (5600 and 6900) when swimming at night.

I'm inclined to think you got a refurbished watch, looked new, but it wasn't, and in the reassembling maybe they screwed up the back plate seal... Find it hard to believe a brand new G-Shock can go wrong like that.

If you want to play it safe, go for a Mudman G-9000-color? If you don't mind full digital and want to stay circular, that watch will be as whatever liquid proof as it can get, it was designed for people who practice mud sports, like motocross forexample.

The look is nice and the price isn't crazy.

Mine ☝🏻
Checked out the price in Amazon UK, £107, not bad I think.
🖖🏻

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
@Daddy Pig
Pressing buttons under water using any G-Shock is actually safe. But only the Frogman afaik is the model which can be pressed on deep ocean waters (ie. Scuba diving and saturation diving) safely with no repercussions.

So if you're wearing any G-Shock, you can press the buttons as long as you want as long as it's not a deep dive in salty waters.

I think this watch has loose gaskets, or simply a lemon.

Reactions: Daddy Pig

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
I'd recommend a simple Casio F-91w. I would press the buttons as fast as I could for a whole minute underwater to see how it held up. No condensation and no damage done.

Hope you have better luck this time around with your new watch.

Reactions: Daddy Pig

·
Registered
631 Posts
Happy to report that my GA-2100 arrived yesterday and took it's first dip today. Came out looking good as new and I actually prefer this design. Faith restored 😊 View attachment 15452813
Cool! Hopefully (or not!) this is just the beginning of your descent... I mean foray... I mean adventure... down the rabbit hole! 🤠

There are tons of cool G-Shocks (and other Casio lines, like Oceanus and Pro Trek). I started just 2 months ago, and Casio # 18 (GBX100) is on its way. 🤭 Whoops! So far, my experience with them has been flawless. I think you just got a lemon... an abberration... on the first time. Simple bad luck. But, you were able to resolve it easily.

Enjoy! And, let us know what's NEXT! 😁

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Cool! Hopefully (or not!) this is just the beginning of your descent... I mean foray... I mean adventure... down the rabbit hole! 🤠

There are tons of cool G-Shocks (and other Casio lines, like Oceanus and Pro Trek). I started just 2 months ago, and Casio # 18 (GBX100) is on its way. 🤭 Whoops! So far, my experience with them has been flawless. I think you just got a lemon... an abberration... on the first time. Simple bad luck. But, you were able to resolve it easily.

Enjoy! And, let us know what's NEXT! 😁
Wow 18 in 2 months? I think the wife would kill me 😂 I have 17 watches in the box now but with 3 spaces left, I'll have to spread them out a bit 😁

Having said that there are a lot of good looking g shocks that don't cost the earth 🤔

41 - 60 of 65 Posts