WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone,
I'm in the market for a dress watch, it will be the last watch I will ever buy. A couple of years back I bought my dream sports/everyday watch; an Omega Seamaster Professional and now I am in need for a watch I can wear to meet clients, or attend to formal diners wearing a dinner jacket. I was considering a Jaeger Le Coultre Reverso but the fact that it is a manual watch doesn't make me too happy, I do like the classic design however. Then I saw the beautiful Patek Calatrava but it costs twice my budget so I can forget that. Perhaps you could suggest some other watches I should look into? It would be much appreciated! Here a couple of things I am looking for:

- Either Yellow Gold or Stainless Steel (nothing else)
- Needs to be waterproof enough to withstand a very heavy shower of rain or me washing my hands.
- Preferably automatic but if it is really nice I will consider manual
- Timeless & elegant design that can be worn as well with a tuxedo as with more casual clothing
- Not too big (Even though I am a man I have small wrists. That's a 5.5cm wide wrist.)
- Should last a lifetime (Obvious for a 10k watch I know but I want a good reliable movement). And withstand a lifetime of use and abuse. Want to pass it on to my children some day.
- Need to be able to buy the watch in Paris on my next visit.

Now some facts about me, after all certain watches match certain personalities, don't they? Anyway, here we go:

- This will be my dress watch, I have an Omega SMP as sports watch and will never buy another watch after this, it will need to click, I will need to fall in love with it so it has to be somewhat special.
- I work in the Fashion Industry.
- I manage a team of people, am involved in PR and meet extremely high paying clients that will pay 20k a day for a job on a regular basis and part of that routine is looking like you are in the same league.
- I wear bespoke suits and shine my shoes daily.
- I like being elegant but not flamboyant, I'm not an oil sheik or a russian gangster.

Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
797 Posts
To me you could stick with JLC (Memovex)

JLC memovex.jpg

or move to Zenith (Elite Captain Central Seconds)

Zenith elite.jpg

Another choice which is well under your budget but I think is a truly beautiful dress watch is Nomos:

NomosOrion.jpg
Orion-rose-gold.jpg
I dont know the WR for these watches, but I believe otherwise they fit your criteria

Attachments

·
Premium Member
20,863 Posts
At your price point, I would seriously consider a Jaeger-LeCoultre or a Glashutte Original.

Some examples include:

1. JLC Master Ultrathin Moon

2. JLC Master Hometime

3. GO Senator Sixties

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
A. Lange & Sohne Saxonia

CP_215_021_D03_detail.jpg

Manual wind, but look at that...

Breguet Classique 5907. Nice and small, this (bad) picture does this watch no justice. It is absolutely stunning in person.

5907ba.12.984.jpg

Again, a manual movement, but most of the best dress watches in this price range are (in my opinion).

If you're willing to go slightly used/vintage a Patek Phillipe Calatrava is within your range.

Patek Philippe Calatrava for $.12,036 for sale from a Trusted Seller on Chrono24

^ That's just one example of many Calatrava models available at that price point.

Also Check out the Glashutte Original Senator line.

Or the Panomatic Date

GO-PMD001.jpg

Or the Panomatic Lunar- In steel for a bit below your price requirements, or in gold for a bit above.

460341d1308957928-jlc-vs-glashutte-need-your-help-panomatic01.jpg

Those are just a few options from a few of my favorite dressier brands. Do some searching on Chrono24.com, where you can plug in price range, case material, band material etc. to find a wide variety of watches that could serve you well

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
^ Panomatic Lunar +1

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
+1 JLC MUT Moon 39
+1 GO PML

Both on my wish list

Kindest Regards,
Portauto

·
Registered
517 Posts
+1 for the Longines

No trouble for hand washing, downpour, or a quick deep sea dive

·
Premium Member
20,863 Posts
Here's a wildcard entry. Longines Legend Diver Gold. Dressy and 300m WR.
The LLD is a nice watch, but not what I would consider to be a dress watch.

Reactions: RogerP

·
Registered
383 Posts
JLC Master Moon 39mm is a stunning stunning watch IMO. My pick!

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
The LLD is a nice watch, but not what I would consider to be a dress watch.
Me neither, but it's a dressy sports watch and if the OP likes it, that's all that matters.

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
Man,
I have to say,
You really have a dilemma on your hands!
Seriously!
You have 10000 eu to spend on the watch, go to the biggest watch or jewelery shop you know and try some watches.
But you don't want a watch.
Watch is a statement, it expresses you and your personality.
Leave your clients out of that.
What they expect is probably for you to do your job excellent, the watch, I don't think they care.
Second, Watch is one of the rare accessories for man, you want something that'll make you happy and cool, something that will complement your person!
I wear big watches, and big is in fashion now.
I'm sure you know that better then me if you're in fashion business.
Dress watch, sport watch, not any more man!
Today anything goes and I'm sure you can see that on your clients.
I would go with Panerai, probably 40mm for you but try bigger.
That's just one suggestion.
Go and try as much as you can.
When it's on your hand you'll have a feeling.
I wish I have your problem!
Sorry for my rambling, good luck
Regards
Roberto

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
I wear big watches, and big is in fashion now.
I'm sure you know that better then me if you're in fashion business.
Dress watch, sport watch, not any more man!
Today anything goes and I'm sure you can see that on your clients.
I would go with Panerai, probably 40mm for you but try bigger.
He has small wrists and is looking for an elegant dress watch. Smaller is always better in this case. Also Panerai will make a statement that I don't think he is looking for. I would go no bigger than 38mm or 39mm. JLC or GO will definitely fit the bill, or even a more classic JLC Reverso or Cartier Tank may be one to consider.

Kindest Regards,
Portauto

·
Registered
15 Posts
An Omega DeVille Chronometer would fit your budget.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357577030.352290.jpg

Granted, I'm biased towards this watch, since I have my Great Grandfather's Seamaster DeVille.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357577264.620263.jpg

·
Registered
845 Posts
Now some facts about me, after all certain watches match certain personalities, don't they? Anyway, here we go:

- This will be my dress watch, I have an Omega SMP as sports watch and will never buy another watch after this, it will need to click, I will need to fall in love with it so it has to be somewhat special.
- I work in the Fashion Industry.
- I manage a team of people, am involved in PR and meet extremely high paying clients that will pay 20k a day for a job on a regular basis and part of that routine is looking like you are in the same league.
- I wear bespoke suits and shine my shoes daily.
- I like being elegant but not flamboyant, I'm not an oil sheik or a russian gangster.

Thanks for your input!
You've given some info for us to make recommendations, but perhaps if you can convey some adjectives or emotions that you are looking for in your watch, or to feel, that might give you and us more insight into some options. I'm in the design business and often ask my clients to speak in abstract terms like this to approach what they are looking for in other ways. They often cannot specifically say what they want, but can convey how they want to feel. The answers can be very revealing.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Thanks Gents! I really like the Saxonia but it costs more than 10k, out of my budget unfortunately!
Nonsense, If you're willing to go slightly used they're available under or near 10000 Euros.

Go on Chrono24, Search A. Lange and Sohne Saxonia, and arrange by price. There's a slightly used one for 12K US, and a few of them for not much more.

Let me know what you think!

·
Premium Member
20,863 Posts
An Omega DeVille Chronometer would fit your budget.

Granted, I'm biased towards this watch, since I have my Great Grandfather's Seamaster DeVille.
The Omega DeVille is a nice watch, but not what I would get at that price point. For 10K Euros, one can get a watch from a high-end brand like Jaeger-LeCoultre, Glashutte Original, etc.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts