WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a nice Gruen 462 recently, but the dial was a nightmare. Not only is all the text and finish gone, but someone scrawled the numbers on it with a ballpoint pen. o|

old_gruen_dial.jpg

I prefer original dials in nearly all cases, but ballpoint numbers is a bit much.

Does anyone have an image of what such a dial would look like? It's a Gruen Precision self-winding watch.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
If I had the money for it, I'd consider having an artist do something custom on a dial that far gone. It's not like you're ruining history at this point; it's already happened.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Paul, if it was me, I'd look up the numbers on the inside back of the case and do a search for that model to see what it looked like originally. Then you can search for a donor watch to scavenge a dial from or use that pic to get it repainted.

This site is great for Gruens:
Welcome to gruen.watch

The two sets of numbers on the inside back (with a dash between them) will be the caliber of movement, and the model number of the watch.

Regards,
Ron

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, all for the tips! I hadn't thought of some of these options.

·
Premium Member
13,464 Posts
Reactions: Paul_S

·
Registered
7,845 Posts
I've seen some of the Kirk Rich Dial handiwork before- not particularly good. The pics on their website are suspicious, to say the least- small pics in a crappy resolution, as if they were hiding something.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Wow! This dial was restored in a hard way :)

If You won't find a donner You can still restore the dial. Unfortunately convex hour indexes treated like Yours... will not reborn like phoenix from ashes.
What You are left with is this:

1. Your dial would look like this 0825, Gruen Precision Autowind, 462
2. or... like this (sorry for small pic) http://i.ebayimg.com/thumbs/images/g/HPsAAOSw~AVYnLi~/s-l225.jpg

Say what a frame inner diameter size is and I'll check If I have some graphics that'll fit.

<URL removed in accordance with our rule 13.b.>

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, great suggestions! That image looks like a good possibility.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts