WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I read a lot more positive comments towards SeaGull watch movements than I expected last night. The thread was titled something like "SeaGull, as good as swiss movements". I'm guessing all the respect was because it was in the "affordable" forum.

Over here in the high end world - whats the feeling towards a Chinese SeaGull watch movement?

Just trying to gain a better pulse of it's actual perception.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
well, there is swiss (eta, sellita) and then there is high-end swiss...AP, Patek, VC, et al. I think a Seagull may be able to provide the same function and service as some swiss movements, but at the high end we are talking about something different altogether.

But again, this is my perception only.

Reactions: JCB43 and Dabon

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well, there is swiss (eta, sellita) and then there is high-end swiss...AP, Patek, VC, et al. I think a Seagull may be able to provide the same function and service as some swiss movements, but at the high end we are talking about something different altogether.

But again, this is my perception only.
Perception is what I'm after. - no one (sane) is comparing them apples to apples.

But The real question is - If your friend has one on his wrist - are you assuming it's a pile?

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Perception is what I'm after. - no one (sane) is comparing them apples to apples.

But The real question is - If your friend has one on his wrist - are you assuming it's a pile?
Hmm. I think you are thinking about this the wrong way.

There is nothing particularly wrong with the movement as far as mass produced movements go. Their QC is a little more spotty than your average Swiss or Japanese though. The biggest problem is how that movement is used, modified/ adjusted, and the fit and finish of the final package.

Unfortunately, for the legitimate Chinese watch industry, these final packages tend to be low end.

For example...

The Same ETA 2824-2 can be used in a cheap Calvin Klein

s-l640.jpg

As this objectively much better built Breitling Navimeter 1, adjusted to a Chronometer. Of course the price points do reflect this. (even if this watch is not my style)

Breitling-Navitimer-1-Automatic-38-1.jpg

Going with you question, I would assume the Calvin Klein is a pile, but not the Breitling... even if I do not really like Breitling.

Sea-Gull has yet to achieve something like this as far as I know (may be different in China?). The watches they go in do not receive the attention to detail, and the movements themselves do not get adjusted and finished to the level of precision one would expect of anything close to "high end"

When I see a Sea-Gull watch, I perceive it as 'affordable'. Just a cool watch with nice value for money spent if you got the 1963 re-issue.

maxresdefault (1).jpg

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the perspective.

I'm sure if SeaGulls were cased up in a Swiss factory they'd gain more esteem.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmm. I think you are thinking about this the wrong way.

There is nothing particularly wrong with the movement as far as mass produced movements go. Their QC is a little more spotty than your average Swiss or Japanese though. The biggest problem is how that movement is used, modified/ adjusted, and the fit and finish of the final package.

Unfortunately, for the legitimate Chinese watch industry, these final packages tend to be low end.

For example...

The Same ETA 2824-2 can be used in a cheap Calvin Klein

View attachment 15074433

As this objectively much better built Breitling Navimeter 1, adjusted to a Chronometer. Of course the price points do reflect this. (even if this watch is not my style)

View attachment 15074451

Going with you question, I would assume the Calvin Klein is a pile, but not the Breitling... even if I do not really like Breitling.

Sea-Gull has yet to achieve something like this as far as I know (may be different in China?). The watches they go in do not receive the attention to detail, and the movements themselves do not get adjusted and finished to the level of precision one would expect of anything close to "high end"

When I see a Sea-Gull watch, I perceive it as 'affordable'. Just a cool watch with nice value for money spent if you got the 1963 re-issue.

View attachment 15074465
ps, Is that your SeaGull watch? or just a picture?

·
Premium Member
6,682 Posts
^^^
Note also, the the ETA 2824 in the Calvin Klein, and the one in the Breitling, are probably not exactly the same movement. They come in different grades, with some upgrades to, typically, the balance/escapement assembly and the shock protection. The Breitling is probably "chronometer" grade, the highest. The Calvin Klein is likely a lower grade. (There are 4 for the 2824 - Standard, Elabore, Top, and Chronometer.)

EDIT to add: Sea Gull is not at all high end. This would be better in the Public Forum.

Reactions: Dabon

·
Premium Member
1,108 Posts
In terms of quality there's a pretty wide range of Swiss watch movements that start out at a pretty high standard and go up from there. With Chinese movements they start at the extreme bottom end and make it to about the point at which most Swiss movements start.

I have two top grade ETAs and two Seagull ETA clones. Of those 4 watches, all are indistinguishable on the timegrapher and on wrist. I have one of the two Seagull ETA clones on my wrist right now. I set it about 48 hours ago and it's exactly 1 second off right now after 2 days on wrist. My other watch with the same movement is even more accurate on average.

Seagull has significantly upped their movement game over the past several years in terms of quality. However, in terms of innovation, they are still well behind the Swiss and Seiko.

·
Premium Member
1,108 Posts
^^^

EDIT to add: Sea Gull is not at all high end. This would be better in the Public Forum.
If you discount their tourbillon watches (which definitely aren't high end), the most expensive Seagull watch right now retails for less than $900usd. That being said, I think it's just a matter of time before Seagull starts to tackle the high end market simply because so many high end Swiss watches are going to Asia.

product-image-815916853_1024x1024@2x.jpg

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
ps, Is that your SeaGull watch? or just a picture?
It's just a picture. I owned the sapphire crystal version for a while., and gifted it to friend who really appreciated it more than I. Sometimes I look them up thinking of buying again though...

Reactions: Dabon

·
Registered
19,183 Posts
My only experience with Seagull is a watch with the ST19 chronograph movement. The movement is fine as it has Swiss root in the design and making.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you discount their tourbillon watches (which definitely aren't high end), the most expensive Seagull watch right now retails for less than $900usd. That being said, I think it's just a matter of time before Seagull starts to tackle the high end market simply because so many high end Swiss watches are going to Asia.

View attachment 15074559
When you say Swiss are going to Asia. What does that mean? Are factories finding ways to get around the "swiss made" requirements?

or do you just mean just that High end Swiss watches are being sold there?

·
Registered
2,310 Posts

Personally, I don't judge my friends by what they wear on their wrists, or what kind of car they drive, etc. People who frequent this forum aren't necessarily snobby individuals who will look down their noses at inexpensive watches/movements, they may just enjoy and appreciate watches overall.

·
Premium Member
1,108 Posts
When you say Swiss are going to Asia. What does that mean? Are factories finding ways to get around the "swiss made" requirements?

or do you just mean just that High end Swiss watches are being sold there?
I'm saying the market for Swiss watches is huge in Asia. According to this article, by value Asia accounts for 53% of all watch exports.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Personally, I don't judge my friends by what they wear on their wrists, or what kind of car they drive, etc. People who frequent this forum aren't necessarily snobby individuals who will look down their noses at inexpensive watches/movements, they may just enjoy and appreciate watches overall.
I didn't mean to imply such. I would hope we're not looking down on anyone.
How about ...you see it in a display case - Now is it a pile?

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
I didn't mean to imply such. I would hope we're not looking down on anyone.
How about ...you see it in a display case - Now is it a pile?
From a movement finishing point of view? Compared to a hand finished high end piece? Not a fair fight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm saying the market for Swiss watches is huge in Asia. According to this article, by value Asia accounts for 53% of all watch exports.
If that's even close to fact - there's no doubt their going to fight for that market. Even if they achieved exact quality and QC, I doubt they'd top the Swiss In Asia. I'd guess The wealthy of Asia are shunning Seagull more than we are.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts