WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've found a few that look good, but just wondering if any of you have experience with the brand.

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
Just one another designer label products that's made of low cost components, but pegged with high price tag for big returns.
The range of watches are mostly with japanese quartz and chinese mechanicals. Just like TED BAKER, ALEXANDER CHRISTIES as well as PIERRE CARDIN, CHARLES JORDAN as well as ELLE.
Although CK is another big designer brand, but majority of the movements used in the watches are of good Swiss origin.

If you're looking for cheap and good quality, go for the Japanese names, such as SEIKO and CITIZEN, ORIENT or ALBAs.
More better value for money.

Reactions: borchard929

·
Registered
23,771 Posts
They are a Fossil brand so if you've had good experiences with a Fossil watch they should be fine.

·
Banned
668 Posts
I agree with first reply. All brands have high and low shelf products. Kors can be found discounted everywhere watches are sold. I doubt though you would have any worries about being robbed wearing it. Can’t be fenced. So on that bright side, yeah, perfect for some areas and dress modes. For me, I doubt I would ever say “ Hey, nice Kors” anymore than I would drink an off brand beer.

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
If there's one you like then buy it. This hobby is about liking the watch you're wearing.

MK watches are a fashion brand...so you won't find much love from collectors here (even though this is the fashion sub-forum)...but they are pretty well made and OK for the price. You're paying the style of the watch...don't expect high-end Swiss quality...but then again if you take care of the watch it will last you a long time. I've seen people with Fossils that are over 20 years old...I'm guessing MK shouldn't be too far behind in terms of quality.

·
Banned
668 Posts
Fossils can be a million years old or more. Come on, I had to say it.
But you are right. I still own a Accutron Space View purchased by me in 1974. That is now a fashion watch. Model 214, 18kt GP
and you can still get good ones for under $200 up to a $1000. No way can a MK compete in a fashion sense. And you can get Swiss technology that NASA used. These preceded the quartz and many top watch manufacturers used the tuning fork by license. Omega and Eterna for some.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Its a fashion brand. I know a few friends that have them, but for me, I've never been into the fashion brands, so not really my cup of tea.

Transmission sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Reactions: borchard929

·
Registered
8,540 Posts
I personally just thought it was for women who need to "accesorize" (god bless my sisters). Do they actually make mens watches? Because i can see so much more watch choices for the price MK charges.

Sent Via Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
Not to disrespect anyone who may fall in love with timepieces that are designed by fashion designers... Majority of these fashion labels "sub-products" are great on looks, but lack in engineering!
I, for one, is the only person(i guess) determines the value of a timepiece by the movement used in it. Built quality follows. Then the brand/label follows that add more punch to the reliability(after sales warranty kicks in) of a timepiece. The look comes last... most importantly, not too flashy, or blinky, but blends well with the theme which the watch is designed to be.

So, i've always shunned away from watches that carries the labels of fashion designer/house names. In addition, my advise to noobs are always on the principles i set myself... of course, they have their own right to reject and not to follow.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Micheal Kors ware made by Fossil, the same way Marc Ecko and Nautica watches are made by Timex. Meaning as far as quality goes - they should be solid. They are what they are - fashionable quartz watches, made for the mass market - people who generally will not scrutinize their watches for things like a strong lume, or minor finishing details. The Seiko, Citizen and Orient fans will look down their noses at you if you post there about buying one and lecture you about value for the money, but let's face it, most watches from those manufacturers in the same price range are basic and sometimes dated designs that are targeted towards frugal guys who want something that gives them alot of perceived bang for the buck. There's nothing wrong with that, but it's like wearing Stanfield or Jockey underwear instead of Emporio Armani or Calvin Klein underwear: they both do the exact same thing, one fits better, while the other looks better.

If you're considering a fashion watch, it's because you want a certain look and really don't care if it has a Rhonda or Miyota movement, or wether or not the lume glows for 1 hour or 8 hours. In other words, if your watch holds the same meaning to you as your other articles of clothing like your jeans or shoes, then yes, Micheal Kors watches are fine.

If you care more about what's under the hood from a technical perspective; check the accuracy of your watch daily against an atomic clock (and would consider getting it adjusted by a watchmaker if it's more than 5 seconds off per day), change the strap or bracelet more than a few times a year, and wake up at 4 am just to check your watch lume, then Michael Kors watches are probably not going to fit your needs.

Some of us fall somewhere in between that - and I happen to be one of those people who can appreciate the design of a fashion watch and would own one while still secretly wishing it was an automatic with a better lume ;)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To be honest, Micheal Kors do make one of the nicer quartz Royal Oak homages around - I've seen watches that attempt the look from Bulova and others who don't quite get it right like Fossil did with this model. ;)

MKOR-UA9_V1.jpg 527510790_tp.jpg

·
Registered
561 Posts
That's kinda nice!

I think for their price it's not too bad.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
I have 3, and my SIL works for Fossil, so I get 50% off unlimited watches, making them very inexpensive ($50-$75 max). They are accurate, well built, and look really good. My 2 divers have solid, heavy links, not folded over junk metal links. The crystals are a little iffy, very plasticky, but pretty durable. I have no problem wearing them. Also, the size of most of their cases is perfect for me, in the 44-45mm range.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I think if the price is fair and you really like the design then go for it. Part of the watch hobby. I had some fashion brand in the past and they worked just fine... I don't think a fashion quartz watch like Kors or something else will give you any problems. I would be more concerned about the quality of finishes, ex: gold plated watches, I think they might cut corners in this department.

Funny things is that all the Kors watches I have seen in flesh were around tiny wrists belonging to really smoking hot women. My guess is that if you ever decide to go for it...then you should as a bonus attract some of those uber sexy goddess along the trip.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Nothing wrong with the brand, just recognize what it is, a fashion brand first and a timepiece second. Nothing at all wrong with that; I use to own fashion brands almost exclusively because that was what I liked. The wife is still a fashion first kinda person. In fact, her watch now is a Michael Kors. Her and her girlfriends had to have them. I would say this about fashion brands; do some shopping. They tend to go to the discount racks pretty quickly and they are on to another style.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Micheal Kors ware made by Fossil, the same way Marc Ecko and Nautica watches are made by Timex. Meaning as far as quality goes - they should be solid. They are what they are - fashionable quartz watches, made for the mass market - people who generally will not scrutinize their watches for things like a strong lume, or minor finishing details. The Seiko, Citizen and Orient fans will look down their noses at you if you post there about buying one and lecture you about value for the money, but let's face it, most watches from those manufacturers in the same price range are basic and sometimes dated designs that are targeted towards frugal guys who want something that gives them alot of perceived bang for the buck. There's nothing wrong with that, but it's like wearing Stanfield or Jockey underwear instead of Emporio Armani or Calvin Klein underwear: they both do the exact same thing, one fits better, while the other looks better.

If you're considering a fashion watch, it's because you want a certain look and really don't care if it has a Rhonda or Miyota movement, or wether or not the lume glows for 1 hour or 8 hours. In other words, if your watch holds the same meaning to you as your other articles of clothing like your jeans or shoes, then yes, Micheal Kors watches are fine.

If you care more about what's under the hood from a technical perspective; check the accuracy of your watch daily against an atomic clock (and would consider getting it adjusted by a watchmaker if it's more than 5 seconds off per day), change the strap or bracelet more than a few times a year, and wake up at 4 am just to check your watch lume, then Michael Kors watches are probably not going to fit your needs.

Some of us fall somewhere in between that - and I happen to be one of those people who can appreciate the design of a fashion watch and would own one while still secretly wishing it was an automatic with a better lume ;)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To be honest, Micheal Kors do make one of the nicer quartz Royal Oak homages around - I've seen watches that attempt the look from Bulova and others who don't quite get it right like Fossil did with this model. ;)

View attachment 617339 View attachment 617340
Mind if I ask what model is this watch?

·
Registered
22 Posts
The brand have verity in designs but not that much stylish then the rest of. Its a low quality brand, but cheap also. Its quirky in style but some how maintaining the sense of fashion in its brand. Mostly the colors are bright and watches give a girly look.

·
Registered
5,830 Posts

Man, did you ever nail me.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts