WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you know if any watch currently made with fixed lugs and only for Natos? Something like 5517?

5339700-1000-3.jpg

·
Registered
517 Posts
Hi there Maxy,
Have a look at the CWC RN diver from Silvermans. They have fixed lugs in both quartz and automatic versions. I've included pics of both because pics are always better.
You can find a half dozen or more micro brands (Zixen, Zinex, Helson, Armida, Halios, Obris Morgan, and/or others) that will have screwed bars that are nearly as solid (or more so) as options. I also have a Wenger 1000m diver Aquagraph Deep Diver or some such name that has solid, but screwed in lugs. Here's a pic of it too.

Regards,

Jeff

Pics of the Obris Morgan Pradata lugs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Timefactors have a couple. Smiths NATO watch PRS-40

prs40-4.jpg

And Smiths Military 36mm PRS-29A

prs294.jpg

Discontinued, but the PRECISTA "Fat Arrow" - PRS-53 has fixed bar also.

Reactions: Maxy

·
Premium Member
7,987 Posts
If you have fixed lugs, do you need a Nato strap? I think you could get away with just a single layer strap at that point, though Natos are more common.

·
Premium Member
7,987 Posts
Not trying to hijack thread but what are fixed lugs? I thought all lugs were "fixed".
Well the lugs themselves are, yes. What's being discussed is sometimes called fixed springbars too (which is more descriptive) but some watches don't have anything like a springbar, like the Smiths above.

Either way, the gist is that you can't change straps unless the straps slide out or can otherwise be unhooked from the bar. The point of a Nato strap was that if you had a springbar failure - a break or if it just came out - the watch was still hooked by the strap and the other bar and would stay on your wrist.

With fixed bars, you don't really need that feature of the Nato, unless you're still worried about the fixed bar breaking, which seems pretty extreme.

Reactions: Maxy and Deledda

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Well the lugs themselves are, yes. What's being discussed is sometimes called fixed springbars too (which is more descriptive) but some watches don't have anything like a springbar, like the Smiths above.

Either way, the gist is that you can't change straps unless the straps slide out or can otherwise be unhooked from the bar. The point of a Nato strap was that if you had a springbar failure - a break or if it just came out - the watch was still hooked by the strap and the other bar and would stay on your wrist.

With fixed bars, you don't really need that feature of the Nato, unless you're still worried about the fixed bar breaking, which seems pretty extreme.

Thanks for the explanation....

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi there Maxy,
Have a look at the CWC RN diver from Silvermans. They have fixed lugs in both quartz and automatic versions. I've included pics of both because pics are always better.
You can find a half dozen or more micro brands (Zixen, Zinex, Helson, Armida, Halios, Obris Morgan, and/or others) that will have screwed bars that are nearly as solid (or more so) as options. I also have a Wenger 1000m diver Aquagraph Deep Diver or some such name that has solid, but screwed in lugs. Here's a pic of it too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks, love that CWC RN but I didn't expect them to be expensive.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

The Rolex posted in Original post - 5513 came with Nato strap for military use and it had fixed lugs. Why do you think so? Even though they are more safe, the 5513 didn't use it incase of springbar failure but more or practical light use.

·
Premium Member
7,987 Posts
The Rolex posted in Original post - 5513 came with Nato strap for military use and it had fixed lugs. Why do you think so? Even though they are more safe, the 5513 didn't use it incase of springbar failure but more or practical light use.
That's interesting. Did it have an actual Nato strap with the two separate layers to capture the spring bars? Or just a canvas or nylon strap? If it came with a Nato, I have no idea why personally, unless with military use even the fixed bars would break? As I said, that seems extreme, but use in the military certainly could qualify as extreme!

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's interesting. Did it have an actual Nato strap with the two separate layers to capture the spring bars? Or just a canvas or nylon strap? If it came with a Nato, I have no idea why personally, unless with military use even the fixed bars would break? As I said, that seems extreme, but use in the military certainly could qualify as extreme!
Actual Nato straps with 2 layers and till now they are highly collectible as it was manufactured by Rolex(maybe 3rd party but completely overseen by Rolex) and they don't it anymore.

Here's Real milsub with original Nato strap.

229fe70aed055341bc3bdee26ec3e0b4.jpg

1 - 13 of 13 Posts