WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious. I know in practical sense it will end up with a long date window but yeah just curious anyone attempted to display the date in a window in roman numerals?

I would ask if anyone will even do a big date in roman numeral, but that is probably a nightmare to design.

·
Premium Member
7,248 Posts
Interesting question... I have no idea, but I'd imagine it wouldn't be done as a standard date window and wheel. The difference you mentioned in length of the dates (the first would just be "I", and the 28th would be "XXVIII" for instance) would tend to make that impractical. Even a long date window would mean that the characters would have to shrink as they moved toward the center of the watch.

Reactions: mleok

·
Registered
714 Posts
Interesting question for sure. I have never seen one.

In addition to the length, I think legibility is probably the other factor that has either prevented or at least certainly limited this type of design. One of the key factors in watch design (at least to me) is legibility. I should be able to glance down at my watch and get all of the intended information quite quickly. It would take me much longer to ascertain that today is the 28th if I see "XXVIII" as opposed to "28".

1 - 3 of 3 Posts