WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a case opener with my watch tool kit. I knew that was trouble :lol:

I was bored and My solid gold Omega was lying around. Turns out its gold through and through, in surprisingly good condition internaly considering its advance age (50 years to be exact)

It does need oiling, and desperately a case cleaning so sending her in next week.

I was wearing my Breitling 6.75, it looked very scared :-d

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Not sure what you mean by solid gold, but the marking on the inside of the case back indicate that at least the case back is stainless steel . See the words "Acier Inoxydable" ? Also, while not all that clear from the pictures, if I look at the bottom of the watch, the lugs and the rim for the snap back case - they don't look like gold to me. I think your case is either gold plated or gold capped.

I got a case opener with my watch tool kit. I knew that was trouble :lol:

I was bored and My solid gold Omega was lying around. Turns out its gold through and through, in surprisingly good condition internaly considering its advance age (50 years to be exact)

It does need oiling, and desperately a case cleaning so sending her in next week.

I was wearing my Breitling 6.75, it looked very scared :-d

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
This watch is not solid gold. It is gold-capped ...

If you think that the movement is solid gold then you are also mistaken. The golden color is actually copper-plated brass.

Sorry if this bursts any bubbles.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Re: This watch is not solid gold. It is gold-capped ...

Looks like a gold-capped model to me.

Since a picture of the dial was not posted, I can't tell if this watch is a Seamaster or Constellation.

The case is definitely a Seamaster case. I can tell by the shape of the lugs and the case reference number in the picture. If this one has an Constellation dial, then it is likely a refinish or replacement.

If a Seamaster dial, it should have the "Officially Certified Chronometer" language, otherwise it would not be an original dial.

In any case, it one of Omega's top movements of the era.

Take care,
gatorcpa

·
Premium Member
13,590 Posts

very good movement condition. The 501-505 were Omega top calibres built in the 50's.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts

1956 Gold-capped 14K Seamaster 2846 Calibre 28SC 501. Uncertified Chronometre.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts

I did not know Omega to be real big on "Uncertified" chronometers, except in the case of military spec. watches (WWW, USArmy, etc.)

Attached is entry for KO 2846 from the OVD. No mention of chronometer status there. Although I know that the database is incomplete, they generally mention it if there is a possibility that a model was a chronometer.

I really think that this one is a recased Constellation movement in a Seamaster case.

Take care,
gatorcpa

Attachments

·
Registered
1,213 Posts

You're probably right. I initially assumed that all 501s were rated chronometers, but it looks like only the Constellations had them and were issued with certificates. A Constellation movement in a Seamaster...hmmmm.

·
Registered
4,002 Posts

You guys continue to amaze with your knowledge and instant recognition. If I can't read the dial, I don't know what it is. :)

·
Registered
2,975 Posts

Actually, I do know of one case reference that is a Seamaster Certified Chronometer, that is OT 2909. I only know this because I was thinking of buying this particular watch:

http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t=msg&goto=3622732&rid=6214#msg_3622732

AFAIK, all of these were 18K gold, and the OP's example is not.

Sometimes I'm right and sometimes I'm wrong. That's the way it goes with vintage Omega.

Take care,
gatorcpa

1 - 10 of 10 Posts