WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 590 Posts

·
Registered
9,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short:

I was out with some guy friends the other night. A friend of a friend joined us later in the proceedings.

I noticed what looked like some kind of nice watch on his wrist and asked him about it. Instead of telling me what it was or showing it too me he pulled his cuff down to cover it up.

After the guy left I asked my friend what that was all about. He said, Oh, his wife's family gave him a gold Vacheron Constantin and he's somewhat ashamed to wear it.

Anyone here feel uncomfortable wearing luxury watches or feel ashamed about owning them?

·
Registered
Rolex datejust
1,049 Posts
Nope. My nicest watch is a datejust. I wear it every where as a daily. Not ashamed due to my hard work is what bought it. Than again most who ask I tell them it's a seiko so as to not have to answer how much I'm really making. If they really want to know I say between free to whatever you think it costs.

·
Registered
testing testing something pizza
23,096 Posts
Not yet -- they're not expensive enough. MSRP at something like $2k, but they were gifted so I just explain them that way.

But I had a coworker who was stunned that my watch (at that time) cost just under $500. We didn't tell him about another guy's handed-down-from-Dad red-line Sub.

·
Premium Member
3,422 Posts
No

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
After the guy left I asked my friend what that was all about. He said, Oh, his wife's family gave him a gold Vacheron Constantin and he's somewhat ashamed to wear it.
Why would he wear it if he was ashamed of the watch? I think it was likely more a case of him being feeling awkward about the optics of having gotten an expensive watch from his in-laws....

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
I wear what I wear, but then again, I don't show up in a 60-70k cars (heck average new US cars = $38k now a days), but usually my beat up minivan with over 170k miles.. People should understand that people spend differently for hobbies. That said, I never would go into debt for my watch though.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Long story short:

I was out with some guy friends the other night. A friend of a friend joined us later in the proceedings.

I noticed what looked like some kind of nice watch on his wrist and asked him about it. Instead of telling me what it was or showing it too me he pulled his cuff down to cover it up.

Anyone here feel uncomfortable wearing luxury watches or feel ashamed about owning them?
That watch is wasted on him, sounds like the wife is a wis, he just got lucky

·
Registered
10,046 Posts
Ashamed? No. A bit self conscious? Yes.

I mean, look, in my collection I have a couple of watches that retail for a couple thousand. That's a lot of money for a lot of people. It's a lot of money for me. And when I'm sitting down for a beer with friends, who work every bit as hard as I do, and they talk about how they'd love to get their daughter a new bike, but they need to pay for some necessary car maintenance first - I do think about what I'm wearing. Shame? Nah - but it does give a heaping dose of self awareness - and a stark reminder that I am exceptionally fortunate, and I've lucked into almost all of it.

·
Registered
10,046 Posts
DP

·
Registered
41 Posts
30 years ago I wore my Rolex President everywhere but now I only wear it when I'll be indoors because being 18K it really stands out in public and I could get killed for this watch, that isn't going to happen, If not for this issue I'd wear it more. That doesn't mean I don't like my other watches, I do and I like to wear them but the Rolex is my special watch for special places now.

·
Premium Member
13,638 Posts
Interested to see where this thread goes. None of my more expensive watches were gifts. They were bought or traded from money I earned. I still gravitate toward my more affordable watches when going out though. Candidly, even though there are MUCH nicer watches regularly posted on here, I am hesitant to post mine. Trying to figure out the balance between being grateful, humble, and proud.

If any of you already have it mastered, I am open to guidance ;)

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I dont know if ashamed is the best word to described the feeling, at least not mine. With so many people out with pitch fork against people more successful than they are themselves, i can see why one would want to avoid giving others a reason to think less of them due to money alone.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Ashamed? No. A bit self conscious? Yes.

I mean, look, in my collection I have a couple of watches that retail for a couple thousand. That's a lot of money for a lot of people. It's a lot of money for me. And when I'm sitting down for a beer with friends, who work every bit as hard as I do, and they talk about how they'd love to get their daughter a new bike, but they need to pay for some necessary car maintenance first - I do think about what I'm wearing. Shame? Nah - but like I said, it give a heaping dose of self awareness - and a stark reminder that I am exceptionally fortunate, and I've lucked into almost all of it.
I agree with this. When I started consulting, my partner had started and sold some software companies. He could wear/drive/sail/etc. whatever he wanted, but he kept a GShock and a Honda to use whenever we visited clients, so as not to risk making anyone feel uncomfortable.

·
Registered
56 Posts
My more affordable watches tend to get the most wear, and I am quite fond of microbrands. For whatever reason, I find the design of some micros to be more interesting than the more established brands. That said, my wife bought me a Rolex several years ago when I got a very big promotion. I love the watch, and it has a lot of sentimental value. Nevertheless, I find it often sits in the watch box because of the attention it gets when I wear it. I wouldn't say that I am ashamed to wear it, but I definitely feel self-conscious depending on who I am with.

1 - 20 of 590 Posts