WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a watch I liked at a local kijiji site. The person selling it had only stock photos from the watch website but no actual pictures of the watch itself. I ended up sending the person a message asking for actual photos of the watch with the present date on a piece of paper. I have not received a reply. It's been a couple of days. I know there are definitely scammers everywhere (including here) but what are your experiences with these classified sites? What questions do you ask to make you think scam or legitimate seller?

Thanks!

·
Registered
17,054 Posts
I haven't, no. That seller is clearly a scammer though. If they don't have a good reputation then don't bother with them, even if they actually possess the watch and can send you pictures, they may not send the watch.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I bought my breitling from a guy on craigslist but we met at an ad to confirm authenticity. Kijiji to my knowledge is more like ebay and probably full of scammers, not that craigslist isn't but unless you're physically robbed its a much safer bet imo.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks geoffbot. The only reason I thought about this route was for local face-to-face transactions to eliminate the possibility of someone not sending the watch. But I guess going this way is more a gamble.

I haven't, no. That seller is clearly a scammer though. If they don't have a good reputation then don't bother with them, even if they actually possess the watch and can send you pictures, they may not send the watch.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey jc-shock. Meeting at an AD is a good idea. I guess there's always a chance of being physically robbed when you don't know the seller. Yikes!

I bought my breitling from a guy on craigslist but we met at an ad to confirm authenticity. Kijiji to my knowledge is more like ebay and probably full of scammers, not that craigslist isn't but unless you're physically robbed its a much safer bet imo.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
I've bought & sold numerous watches and other things through kijiji and craigslist - mostly as a seller though. As long as you take common sense precautions when meeting up you should be fine, for example always meet up at a well lit public place like a coffee shop, and bring someone along if the transaction price is high. In the case of watches you must know the watch you're looking to buy and be able to spot a fake right there and then.

One of my most memorable buy from kijiji was an all original Seiko 6309-7049 with its original paperwork and completed warranty document, GL strap and a 1980's genuine Seiko bracelet, all for $150 couple of years ago.

On a side note alphaboy, is the watch you saw a "S.......t" with the upgraded bezel? If it was I was also eying that yesterday - price is fair (not great), but you're correct, no real photos though...

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Slant. Thanks for the tips and share. LOL! You are correct, I guess we're from the same neck of the woods :). I agree the price is fair and the person's description sounded good. Unfortunately, because of no reply it sends real red flags. I don't know if my message to him scared him off because it was a scam or he's too lazy to send me pics. The fact that it was a Steinhart made me think this person was more a WIS than a scammer but......you never know. Let me know if you have any luck with it.

I've bought & sold numerous watches and other things through kijiji and craigslist - mostly as a seller though. As long as you take common sense precautions when meeting up you should be fine, for example always meet up at a well lit public place like a coffee shop, and bring someone along if the transaction price is high. In the case of watches you must know the watch you're looking to buy and be able to spot a fake right there and then.

One of my most memorable buy from kijiji was an all original Seiko 6309-7049 with its original paperwork and completed warranty document, GL strap and a 1980's genuine Seiko bracelet, all for $150 couple of years ago.

On a side note alphaboy, is the watch you saw a "S.......t" with the upgraded bezel? If it was I was also eying that yesterday - price is fair (not great), but you're correct, no real photos though...

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Hey alpha, I think you're spot on that this guy is more of a lazy WIS too lazy to take photos than a scammer. He's got another sub homage ad posted for months that he had renewed and bumped up over and over again. I like how he said he had "commissioned" to have these sub hommages built and he's selling one, haha.

Yeah, someone selling Steinharts and sub homages is likely a WIS. I wouldn't be too worry. I say text him up and check out the Steiny in person. Good luck!

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
Craigslist... a totally beautiful PO, box , papers, everything. Price was quite low and I was quite excited. Hadn't even considered it before seeing his pix. Emailed him and then it started: "We'll I'm out of town right now, overseas. You can wire me the money" On and on and on. He finally gave up - still sad to this day. was about 10 months ago.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I recently purchased a watch from a craigslist ad. Met in person at a coffee shop after exchanging several emails. Everything went smoothly and I got a pretty good deal. I took the chance because the seller seemed genuine and unrushed in his emails and in person, taking the time to show me the watch functions and letting me examine it in detail.

Meeting at an AD for authentication would be ideal. If the AD option is not available I would suggest doing your research on the watch beforehand and familiarize yourself on its details or keep links open on your smartphone so you can compare and spot signs of a fake watch. Also I would not buy from kijiji or craigslist if it involves shipping, in person only. Its been repeated but if the price is too good to be true, it probably is. Expect 50% of retail price + whatever you can negotiate down. Finally as Slant said meet at a public place and don't show the money until the final exchange.

Good luck!

·
Registered
200 Posts
I have bought a lot of things of Craigslist, including a watch. I met the seller in the lobby of my bank, where I withdrew the money after checking out the watch. I think it's pretty hard for either party to get scammed that way.

I got the idea when I sold my old car on Craigslist a few years back. The buyer had me meet him at his bank. Although he didn't say why, I think he was afraid of being robbed. I thought that was a good idea.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sounds like people have had pretty decent experiences so long as they took the proper precautions. I like the idea for meeting at a bank for transactions.

I have bought a lot of things of Craigslist, including a watch. I met the seller in the lobby of my bank, where I withdrew the money after checking out the watch. I think it's pretty hard for either party to get scammed that way.

I got the idea when I sold my old car on Craigslist a few years back. The buyer had me meet him at his bank. Although he didn't say why, I think he was afraid of being robbed. I thought that was a good idea.

·
Registered
5,850 Posts
It's not a Kijiji seller in Calgary by any chance, is it? There's been a scammer trying to sell fake Rolexes and Tags on the Calgary Kijiji site for awhile. I post ads warning people of his scams whenever I come across them, and when I started posting ads with photos pointing out the 'tells' to look for on his fakes he started to post stock photos instead of photos of the actual watches for sale.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey BrentYYC. No it isn't. It's a seller in Kijiji Toronto. I'm surprised he didn't reply to me nor put actual photos of the watch. I think he's either a scammer or lazy. Either way I decided not to pursue it. My eye shifted over to a Skyhawk lol.

That's awesome that you called him out on the fakes!!!

It's not a Kijiji seller in Calgary by any chance, is it? There's been a scammer trying to sell fake Rolexes and Tags on the Calgary Kijiji site for awhile. I post ads warning people of his scams whenever I come across them, and when I started posting ads with photos pointing out the 'tells' to look for on his fakes he started to post stock photos instead of photos of the actual watches for sale.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
One. An older Seiko with actual photos and a good description.

It wasn't local or expensive, but all went off without a hitch.

In fact, it's on my wrist as I'm typing this.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts