WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36,311 Posts
No sprecken zee Deutche, but don't believe these are sapphire coated. Mine has a Miyota 8215, but my newer G2 are NH35 Seiko movements. Nice watch for the money. AmazonUS sells them now

zGee-quan-day

G2-007

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Kratzfestes Mineralglas mit Antireflexions- und Saphirbeschichtung
According to this it has somekind of sapphire coating and AR-coating. However, in the specifications they only speak of mineral glass.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
"Scratch-resistant Mineral Glas with antireflective and sapphire coating" - whatever the last part means.

I think the AR is to be on the inner side of the mineral glass, whereas the stated sapphire coating should be on the outside. At least that's what I'm reading out of their description on the site. So the translations so far are right.

Typed on an IBM typewriter.

·
Registered
426 Posts
The watch has a mineral glass crystal with an anti-reflective coating which gives it "greater scratch resistance than is normally the case with mineral glass." Possibly talking about Sapphire AR™ anti-reflective coating by GroGlass, allegedly very tough with blue blocking to improve transparency under artificial light. It's not a sapphire coating, just advertising copy about the toughness and blue blocking of their premium AR coating for glass and acrylic instrument covers.

·
Premium Member
71,355 Posts
Has it got an AR coating? I've seen sapphire without an AR coating described as "anti reflective" so it could just be sapphire coated mineral glass.

·
Registered
426 Posts
OK guys, here is the problematic description with a humanoid Centauri translation.

Kratzfestes Mineralglas mit Antireflexions- und Saphirbeschichtung: Das Glas der Uhr ist mit einer Antireflexionsschicht versehen um auch bei ungünstigem Lichteinfall eine hohe Ablesbarkeit zu gewährleisten. Die Saphirbeschichtung sorgt für eine größere Kratzunempfindlichkeit als es bei normalen Mineralgläsern der Fall ist.
Scratch resistant mineral glass with an anti-reflective/sapphire coating: the watch crystal has an anti-reflective coating to ensure high legibility even under unfavorable lighting. Sapphire coating ensures higher scratch resistance than is normally the case with mineral glass.
Commercial jargon unique to German watchmakers, or perhaps to German advertising copywriters. Here is a thread on UhrForum:

https://uhrforum.de/mineralglas-mit-saphirbeschichtung-t238261

Enough said, Germans aren't sure what "Mineralglas mit Saphirbeschichung" means, but they think it's pretty ridiculous. Literally it means "a mineral glass crystal with a sapphire crystal" which makes no sense at all, but trade jargon doesn't need to make sense — it just is what it is.

There are technical problems no one has yet surmounted in making very thin synthetic sapphires. You will recall that Apple intended to give the iPhone 6 a sapphire screen ("surface cover" in industry jargon) but had to abandon the idea. There was lots of English-language discussion of this world-historic event, from which I'll quote this as apropos:

https://techpinions.com/why-apple-never-targeted-sapphire-screens-for-the-new-iphones/34833

I don’t doubt over time there could be some breakthroughs with sapphire and new coating processes could make it possible to use as a screen on a smartphone. However, from the research I did, it does not appear it could happen any time soon. Plus, sapphire’s less then flexible and brittle nature suggests, as least to me, that using it in large screen smartphones would still be difficult even if they were able to coat it in a way to keep the screen from splintering.
So for the present, sapphire watch crystals yes, sapphire-coated watch crystals no. But in Germany, sapphire-coating is an advertising slogan that takes a licking and keeps on ticking.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts