WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...article in the latest edition of WatchTime Magazine?

It is a very good read, written by WatchTime Editor-in-Chief, Joe Thompson. A couple of highlights from the article are when he summarizes how on a back-to-back reporting trips to Japan and then to Switzerland, .."a prominent CEO of a Swiss watch brand declared, "Seiko makes the best mechanical watch in the world. I hate to say it, but it's true." Then he says that two days later in a conversation with the technical director of another Swiss watch firm, the director said, unprompted, "I would love to have a Grand Seiko."

Reading this article helped me understand why GS has such a cult following in this forum and by many watch enthusiasts. Really helped to move GS up my list.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I read the same article, and would love to own one. It is indeed on my list of possible higher-end watches now.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I'll have to pick up a copy of the magazine and check it out. I already have utmost respect for GS so I'm not surprised of the comments. I regret selling my vintage GS hi beat 36000. I'd like to pick up another GS in the near future, thanks for sharing Bacari.

·
Registered
796 Posts
I'd love to own one too. When my SARB065 was delivered, it came with a Japanese Seiko catalog. The non-spring drive Grand Seiko's were very reasonably priced considering the quality of the watch. I will admit that they lack the status recognition of Rolex in the US, but in terms of quality I believe they are equal and can be had for much less. A Grand Seiko will be my first multiple thousand dollar watch that I buy.

·
Registered
168 Posts
The SBGR051 Model has really caught my eye and even though Grand Seiko just showed pup on my radar recently, it's really rising my list of watches I will soon buy. If I can only handle the watch, it might even move it up to be my next high end watch.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
...article in the latest edition of WatchTime Magazine?

It is a very good read, written by WatchTime Editor-in-Chief, Joe Thompson. A couple of highlights from the article are when he summarizes how on a back-to-back reporting trips to Japan and then to Switzerland, .."a prominent CEO of a Swiss watch brand declared, "Seiko makes the best mechanical watch in the world. I hate to say it, but it's true." Then he says that two days later in a conversation with the technical director of another Swiss watch firm, the director said, unprompted, "I would love to have a Grand Seiko."

Reading this article helped me understand why GS has such a cult following in this forum and by many watch enthusiasts. Really helped to move GS up my list.

Thanks for the heads up on the article. It is for those kinds of reasons that I finally pulled the trigger on a Grand Seiko back in December -- it is due to arrive later this month...

·
Registered
959 Posts
Grand Seikos are very special. I actually don't really like all the attention they get- I'd rather people just shut up about them until I can get my hands on one of the 130th anniversary pieces. The last thing I want is for everyone to realize just how awesome they are- and how much money is being wasted when you buy anything else. ;)

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

·
Registered
146 Posts
I agree, the craftsmanship the Grand Seiko is on par with some large luxury brands with about half the price. The little details like the polished edges of the brushed hands makes it a subtle elegance. Yet very good value for money for simple styles. It also gets my attention when I'm considering a classic 3-hand IWC model. The only thing I dun like is the wide straight lugs for most models (the anniversary model above is fine though).

Could anyone also comment on the robustness of their mechanical movements / cases, say comparing to other brands such as IWC or Omega?

·
Premium Member
2,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Not available online, I take it?
No, the article is not available online as this is their April edition. I believe you can get it by issue on the iPad for a couple of bucks. Some issues are free with iPad.

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
I read through a number of very useful threads dedicated to the GS watches on the Seiko sub-forum before making my purchase ..
I usually give a bit of thought into my purchases and from all I could find, no other under 10K watch from either IWC or Omega or Rolex would come close to the reliability, durability and accuracy of a Spring-Drive GS.
Hailed by many as the single most innovative step in horology over the last 25 years...

If you love watches and you love mechanical movements, Its hard not to desire a GS in your collection..

Could anyone also comment on the robustness of their mechanical movements / cases, say comparing to other brands such as IWC or Omega?

Reactions: nikidasi

·
Registered
640 Posts
The SBGR051 Model has really caught my eye and even though Grand Seiko just showed pup on my radar recently, it's really rising my list of watches I will soon buy. If I can only handle the watch, it might even move it up to be my next high end watch.
I own the SBGR051 - in fact I am wearing it as I type this post. It's a great every day watch and beautifully finished, albeit very understated. Picture taken a few moments ago:

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
Grand Seikos are very special. I actually don't really like all the attention they get- I'd rather people just shut up about them until I can get my hands on one of the 130th anniversary pieces. The last thing I want is for everyone to realize just how awesome they are- and how much money is being wasted when you buy anything else. ;)

View attachment 645188
At last a GS with a fitting dial. Very elegant!

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
I'm curious about what the reasons behind the CEO's and the technical director's statements are.
Did he mention in the article who those guys are?
You see, many reporters make articles that are ordered by certain companies. There is always the possibility that he got some payment......

The statement " I wish I had one" sounds stupid. If he wants one, it is easy to get one. Specially as he is in the watch business.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Did he mention in the article who those guys are?
You see, many reporters make articles that are ordered by certain companies. There is always the possibility that he got some payment......

The statement " I wish I had one" sounds stupid. If he wants one, it is easy to get one. Specially as he is in the watch business.
Even as a Grand Seiko advocate, I'm a bit skeptical about the quotes. That said, the statement was "I would love to have one." There are certain factors that might dissuade a Swiss watch company executive from wearing a Grand Seiko beside financial constraints. Like the fact that she's a Swiss watch company executive...

1 - 20 of 45 Posts