WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 22mm isofrane on my Aquadive, and it's a bit long for my 7.3-ish wrist, cuz I can actually see the long end of strap hang a bit at the end. I'd like to trim just about an inch so, so that any overlap of the strap stays under my wrist, not on the side. Of course I'm very hesitant to do so because one, this is an expensive strap (for rubber) and two, not sure if I can cut it neatly.

Has anyone cut the strap successfully, and tell me how? Did you use scissors or knife? Pictures?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I've never cut, or even owned and Isofrane, but rubber can be worked a bit like wood, meaning you can make the cut, and then smooth/polish it using very fine sandpapers. Stiffer rubbers react much better than very soft. Beware though it's very hard to achieve the same finish as molded rubber, it'll be smooth, but slightly rougher than the rest of the strap.

I've made whole straps from vintage rubber dive fins, but I'm not sure I'd risk it on an Isofrane. Might though, I don't like that kind of overhang.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I don't think I'd try to cut one. It would ruin the look. FYI, I have a 6.5" wrist, and it is a little long, but still wearable.

·
Registered
38,307 Posts
Interesting, I just got another used Isofrane earlier today and going to notch the lug ends to fit my Tudor end links like the stock rubber :) and was just wondering about the best way to do it!?

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
Hi NJ

I cut my Isofranes, and any rubber strap. I usually buy BC straps.
I found the best way is to have a template (guide) as it makes it easier, you can then draw the lines on the strap with pencil.
Use a magnifying lens, the one I use is 3x , with good lighting.(bought mine at Walmart in the craft section), it was 9$, still going strong after 2 yrs.
I use a sharp razor blade, square ends straight up and down, you can buy them at any Hardware Store, they come in a pack of 5in a plastic case, to take one out, and a spot to store the used dull ones.
You have to be straight up and down, and usually that means you need to be eyeballing the process at that level.
You have to leave enough strap to slide through the tang comfortably, and for the keepers to sit on.
Lastly, the fresh cuts can be sanded with very fine sandpaper or emery paper, by moving the strap over the paper carefully , not the paper over the strap, so you can remain straight.
Then rubbing the strap end over a pce of jean material like blue jeans, this will dull the cut ends to look more like the strap, to the burnish that appeals to you.
Practice on a cheap rubber strap, not silicone.
Best
Robt

I have a 22mm isofrane on my Aquadive, and it's a bit long for my 7.3-ish wrist, cuz I can actually see the long end of strap hang a bit at the end. I'd like to trim just about an inch so, so that any overlap of the strap stays under my wrist, not on the side. Of course I'm very hesitant to do so because one, this is an expensive strap (for rubber) and two, not sure if I can cut it neatly.

Has anyone cut the strap successfully, and tell me how? Did you use scissors or knife? Pictures?

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my favourite chair to where you are using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
To be honest.. I would not cut an Iso.. That would kill the look and greatly reduce its resale value.. Saw one FS like that and did not like it one bit!!!

Just MHO...

·
Registered
365 Posts
I have a 7.6" wrist and I actually think I'd like a little more overhang on my Iso. Ideally, I like the strap keepers not to be under my wrist but to instead be on the outside of my wrist. I find this not only more comfortable, but I think a generous overhang is better looking. I've actually paid to have custom straps made for these very reasons.

I know it's all personal preference, but too short of an overhang looks, well, too short.

·
Registered
38,307 Posts
I personally like having a long tail :) on mine so I would not cut the end but I WILL be cutting the lug ends to fit the Pelagos end links and plan on using a razor blade. Ill make a template with the stock strap. I gues ill try smoothing out the area cut. Hope it'll look good :) or I can't sel it once it's cut to fit the Tudor

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Interesting, I just got another used Isofrane earlier today and going to notch the lug ends to fit my Tudor end links like the stock rubber :) and was just wondering about the best way to do it!?
Brice - if you do tackle this project, I'm sure others would like to see pics of the result. I wonder though, if the iso will be sturdy enough with so much of the lug end material removed.

I ended up selling my Pelagos as I was very disappointed with the feel and length of the stock rubber. That, and the huge space between the case and isofrane I tried as an alternative. I like my divers to look and feel good on rubber as well as bracelet.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Please remember that an isofrane is a dive strap, hence the length as you wear it over a wetsuit. (Some people even need the isofrane dive extension strap). Don't cut it please! It can never look nice after you cut it as the buckle holes are too near the end. I've notched a 24mm to 22mm for my emperor and regretted it! Even if I did a good job notching it, it just ruined the strap. Just get another strap to play around with. The isofrane is perfect as it is - a perfect dive strap that is.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I don't suggest you do this but I've done this and here's how I did it. Get an NT cutter blade, a new one. Measure 1mm off the edge and slide/slice the blade down but not too far down. Measure how far you need to cut it down based on the lug design of the watch you're gonna use it with. Then slice sideways to take out the notched runner portions.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I notched a 24mm isofrane to fit my spork. Debated it for almost a year but decided to bite the bullet. I used a sharp razor blade, cut like butter, very scary. My results were good but not great because I rushed it a bit. Still, I do like the end result.

In going to try some sandpaper to smooth out the finish soon. Good suggestion!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I personally like having a long tail :) on mine so I would not cut the end but I WILL be cutting the lug ends to fit the Pelagos end links and plan on using a razor blade. Ill make a template with the stock strap. I gues ill try smoothing out the area cut. Hope it'll look good :) or I can't sel it once it's cut to fit the Tudor
Hi, please post pics of your experiment. Alternatively, let me ask you a question I posted recently. If i could manage to get an OEM rubber strap like the one that comes with the pelagos, and I get some end links for the Black Bay (which type of end links?) would I be able to fit it on my Black Bay? Considering they're both 22mm width? Tks

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
A long tail is part of the Isofrane's charm IMO. I need an orange one for summer! Plus any modifications could hurt the excellents resale value it holds.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Have not cut one but i just took a chunk out of a new one i bought for my Seiko mm300 and those #*#* fat spring bars are tight.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts