WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have more G-Shocks than I should. I love the brand for everything it represents: durability, accuracy and countless timekeeping features.

However, I’m tired of seeing all the analog and analog/digital hybrids. With a small handful of exceptions, it seems as though the purely digital releases are few and far between. Most releases are hybrids with faces so crammed full of information they’re nearly impossible to read. Then they release them in myriad colorways to appeal to users’ ‘fashion sense.’

They’re pushing aside the singular reason I used to buy them: funtionality/utility. Their former simplicity was their differential advantage in the marketplace. Not so much anymore. I rarely see something coming from G-Shock that isn’t a jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none ho-hummer of a watch. It’s become a ‘meh’ brand to me, and it’s a shame. I want more G-Shocks, but the purely digital designs have been virtually abandoned…

Not trolling. I’m genuinely curious as to whether others feel the same way. Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I think what you're saying is that you don't like analogs and ana-digis, which is a fair statement. But I don't really agree with your analysis of CASIO and their digital releases. The data doesn't back it up.

G-Shock in the last 3-5 years has released more digital-only models than I've ever seen before in the 15 years I've been following them. It's nuts how many new digital only models they have made. And that's not even counting Pro-Trek.

So, no. I'm not frustrated in the least. I'm actually super impressed by the rate at which CASIO is making new releases.

·
Registered
Samsung Gear Sport
8,392 Posts
As much as i love analog digital watches, most Casio current offerings i either have them or can't stand them.
Current digital offerings they not that bad in trying but not perfect always looming.
Titanium square and MIPS display square have potential but in both cases i would opt for something else.
Price of titanium is outright stratospheric and for GBX100 is not that perfect. Casio denial of offering positive displays even when it could be optional setting put big X on that model for me.

Last nail in the coffin of my dead respect to current brand activities was GSW-H1000.

Offering smartwatch with internals lagging 3 generations behind at premium price. I can only smile and wave.

I was coming to Casio for innovative, smart, sensible and interesting.

Do cherish my GLX5600 signed by Kikuo Ibe.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have more G-Shocks than I should. I love the brand for everything it represents: durability, accuracy and countless timekeeping features.

However, I’m tired of seeing all the analog and analog/digital hybrids. With a small handful of exceptions, it seems as though the purely digital releases are few and far between. Most releases are hybrids with faces so crammed full of information they’re nearly impossible to read. Then they release them in myriad colorways to appeal to users’ ‘fashion sense.’

They’re pushing aside the singular reason I used to buy them: funtionality/utility. Their former simplicity was their differential advantage in the marketplace. Not so much anymore. I rarely see something coming from G-Shock that isn’t a jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none ho-hummer of a watch. It’s become a ‘meh’ brand to me, and it’s a shame. I want more G-Shocks, but the purely digital designs have been virtually abandoned…

Not trolling. I’m genuinely curious as to whether others feel the same way. Thoughts?
Broonzbane,

I hear you and appreciate your thoughts. I do, however, have a pretty simply faced sort of ana-dig that I am buying to fulfill a specific purpose. I tried to avoid a cluttered face as much as possible. I just needed:

Black Out

Easy to read analog at a glance

Tough Solar

Atomic Timekeeping

G-Shock

Shock Resist

I picked the AWGM100B-1A. It appears to be more ana than dig, which is what I needed.
(stock photo)

·
Registered
178 Posts
Agree completely - far too many analog watches :) - also I really don’t understand the point of the high end models - any G-Shock that has to be babied over would seem to me to be a contradiction, but it seems Casio wants to move the G-Shock brand more & more upmarket as time goes by.

·
Registered
7 Posts
You're not alone in the sense that I also can't imagine buying an analog G. I understand the appeal, and I understand why Casio is chasing that trend - after all, the top two best selling Gs are analogs. But personally, I think of Gs as a digital watch. When I want analog I will wear one of my other watches.

·
Registered
Seiko auto's. Monster, Turtle, 5 Sports. Steeldive auto. G Shock. Edifice. Protrek. Casio.
990 Posts
I've slowly moved on all my digi G's, only the GD-350 is left and a keeper.
For all digital Casio's, i only really like Pro Treks and the cheaper non G Casio's these days.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Personally, I love the ani/digi G Shocks. I've never bought a G and thought "ah simplicity", it's always been for durability and functionality. Both of which are there in the new releases. I do think that the line is diverse enough for everyone who likes them to be able to find one that fits the bill. So I have to respectfully disagree.

·
Registered
489 Posts
This is constructive and insightful. I’m awed by your genius.
You asked a question and they answered. Just because they didn't agree with you doesn't mean you have to be rude.

I used to be all digital until a few years ago, when I picked up a GAW-100 and fell in love with it. Six of those, two G-Steels, six GA-2100/2110's, an AWG-M100, a GA2000, and a Gravitymaster later and I would say that I am hooked on analogue G's. Granted there are still more digitals in my collection that analogue/digitals but there is enough room for everyone here.

If you only like digital that is totally fine. Casio still makes quite a few of those.

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
As I believe someone else stated, I am unsure the data backs up your argument. I believe casio is offering more gshock options than ever, including digital only options. The digi only may see a smaller percentage of the offerings, but I believe the raw number of offerings has increased.

In all fairness, the data may not back up my belief either. Who wants to crunch those numbers?

Also, my Casioak just told me your entire argument is invalid, but its very opinionated so dont take it personally!

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
When you hit my age and get that "I gotta hold the cell phone 9 feet from my face when I'm reading while taking a dump" you'll give up the digitals and get some analogs....

When I used to be in the Marines and we did a lot of time in the "field." Having the analog G with the lume was much better than having a digital I had to light up. I found that to be a better tool watch for that type of work. They ARE jack of all trade watches and now fashion statements.

I do agree about that fitness watch....how about an up to date technology design?

Microsoft did the same thing with that idiot folding cell phone/tablet they just released last year. If your gonna make a "cutting edge" product, make sure it is cutting edge, not 10 years behind the 2 top competitors in that field. CASIO...if your gonna make a fitness watch...learn from the companies that make them. Garmin and Fenix are light years ahead of you!!!!

Rant over.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Broonzbane,

I hear you and appreciate your thoughts. I do, however, have a pretty simply faced sort of ana-dig that I am buying to fulfill a specific purpose. I tried to avoid a cluttered face as much as possible. I just needed:

Black Out

Easy to read analog at a glance

Tough Solar

Atomic Timekeeping

G-Shock

Shock Resist

I picked the AWGM100B-1A. It appears to be more ana than dig, which is what I needed.
(stock photo)
View attachment 15933100
If there was an ana-digi option I’d choose, this comes very close. Easy to read with a purpose-driven layout. Too many G’s today are such a cluster(expletive) of features competing for space on the watch dial, you’d have no idea what specific purpose (other than time keeping) the watch was developed for in the first place.

Nice timepiece!

1 - 20 of 132 Posts