WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

41 - 60 of 153 Posts

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Here is the question you posed in the thread title. He answered it. Maybe you should reevaluate your incredibly rude reply.

Anyone else here frustrated with Casio’s G-Shock direction over the past few years?
lolz
I feel the same when I FIRST read the question (and had the same reaction) too
but
the thread clearly stated his reasons REASONABLE ENOUGH to deserve a real discussion
therefore,
the one answered "NOPE" did not read the statement inside
or too lazy to read
or couldn't comprehend
or like to judge the book by its cover?
lolz

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
lolz
I feel the same when I FIRST read the question (and had the same reaction) too
but
the thread clearly stated his reasons REASONABLE ENOUGH to deserve a real discussion
therefore,
the one answered "NOPE" did not read the statement inside
or too lazy to read
or couldn't comprehend
or like to judge the book by its cover?
lolz
You're aware this is an internet forum, and the OP does not make the rules for participation? In any case it seems that the one word reply covers most of the sentiment expressed in this thread.

·
Registered
948 Posts
I have more G-Shocks than I should. I love the brand for everything it represents: durability, accuracy and countless timekeeping features.

However, I’m tired of seeing all the analog and analog/digital hybrids. With a small handful of exceptions, it seems as though the purely digital releases are few and far between. Most releases are hybrids with faces so crammed full of information they’re nearly impossible to read. Then they release them in myriad colorways to appeal to users’ ‘fashion sense.’

They’re pushing aside the singular reason I used to buy them: funtionality/utility. Their former simplicity was their differential advantage in the marketplace. Not so much anymore. I rarely see something coming from G-Shock that isn’t a jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none ho-hummer of a watch. It’s become a ‘meh’ brand to me, and it’s a shame. I want more G-Shocks, but the purely digital designs have been virtually abandoned…

Not trolling. I’m genuinely curious as to whether others feel the same way. Thoughts?
I’d like to see them go to an all analog design. But I prefer analog to digital.

Reactions: parv and broonzbane

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Nope - Casio remains one of my top 3 favourite brands

I have (too) many squares, and countless ani-digi + MRGs…..love them all….

Casio makes great timepieces, some with more function that others, but the majority are set/forget and can be grabbed and gone with no setting fuss (ala autos) and used in everyday life

my watch philosophy has always been “if I like it, I buy it”
Thoughtful response, and appreciated feedback. The polite, purposeful and constructive way to say NOPE, LOL. Props to you, kind sir!

·
Premium Member
7,012 Posts
Thoughtful response, and appreciated feedback. The polite, purposeful and constructive way to say NOPE, LOL. Props to you, kind sir!
Thanks…..it’s a forum, we come here to chat with like minded and sometimes not so like minded watch enthusiasts…..

I don’t always like what I see, or what I read….But I can always exercise my right not to comment!

·
Registered
540 Posts
He answered your question. No need to be a sarcastic jerk about it.
Pretty sure it was CC that was being the D in that scenario. But that's just my interpretation. OP is not a troll and he stepped into the lions den to have an honest conversation, so just sarcastically saying nope is exactly what you would expect from a fanboi

·
Premium Member
7,012 Posts
….as a foot note.

while I wore a G-SHOCK in high school back in the 80’s, my reintroduction was more recent, maybe 3yrs now, so my acceptance of the ani-shocks and multiple versions of the same thing, is likely due to my “youth” in the Casio realm….

I’m not suggesting you are old and grumpy, just that I am relatively “new” here….🙂

·
Registered
540 Posts
But to actually answer your question, I hate when companies go upmarket. As far as I remember, just a few years ago it was a big deal to spend $300 or whatever and the G was something special. Now every other model is pushing a high MSRP and they're churning out more expensive special editions than Omega lol

·
Registered
108 Posts
But to actually answer your question, I hate when companies go upmarket. As far as I remember, just a few years ago it was a big deal to spend $300 or whatever and the G was something special. Now every other model is pushing a high MSRP and they're churning out more expensive special editions than Omega lol
I’d agree if Casio was completely abandoning the lower end of the market, but they’re not. There are definitely expensive high-end G-Shocks, but there are pretty inexpensive ones too. I mean Casioaks are just $99. That’s a helluva watch for $100 and sometimes less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
I’d like to see them go to an all analog design. But I prefer analog to digital.
That would be extreme, LOL! But different strokes and all . . .

Maybe part of me wants G-Shock to lean heavily toward digital releases because of the nostalgia factor. G-Shocks were introduced when I was a kid, and I had one on my wrist throughout high school. I like my quartz watches to be digital (G-Shocks), and my analogue watches to be automatics (Seiko). I just hate to see the heritage tossed aside, because the digi’s are what made G-Shock the brand they are today.

I think G-Shocks also built a solid reputation for creating reliable tool watches. And I like tool watches (for their functionality). Most of the analogs I see from G-Shock today fail at being a tool watch because so much is crammed into the dial they’re unusable, IMHO. There are some exceptions.

No doubt Casio does their research and responds to emerging trends with products that resonate with their target audience. It’s all part of the cycle…everything will come full circle, I’m sure.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Pretty sure it was CC that was being the D in that scenario. But that's just my interpretation. OP is not a troll and he stepped into the lions den to have an honest conversation, so just sarcastically saying nope is exactly what you would expect from a fanboi
Yup. Thanks. I personally wouldn’t think to read only the title of a post and respond with a single word. I come here to seek help and advice from members and reciprocate in kind in the spirit of community. The very first response to this thread was a low-effort s**tpost, plain as day. If people don’t want to help/contribute, they can bugger off. And I have no qualms about saying it.

Here endeth my rejoinders on the matter. Thanks again for putting the proverbial shoe on the other foot. Others here would do well to follow your example.

41 - 60 of 153 Posts