·
Registered
Pam 560, Pam 25F, Pam 220, Rolex DJ 116234 36mm White M.O.P Diamond
22 Posts
Just look at the frogmans, past and present

What is G shock thinking?

·
Registered
Zelos Mako V3 bronze frost || Casio PRW-7000X || Casio Gulfman GW-9100 || Victorinox INOX Mechanical
538 Posts
I am not a big fan of the some Ana/Digi because the dial is too busy (GA-1xx and GA-7xx)
In some cases, the GA-2100 and the Mudmaster, i like because i can actually tell the time by looking at the hands.
The all analog line like the new Frogman for me is innovative and cool(although i prefer the older)

But what grinds my gears is the slow killing of the Master of G line, which is my favourite.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Just look at the frogmans, past and present View attachment 15933903 View attachment 15933905
What is G shock thinking?
PERFECT example of how they’re tossing functionality aside in a once iconic model. It’s Sunday the 30th of June on the old Frogman. The new one? If I squint hard enough, I THINK it’s the 5th of something. But at least it has a date movement…I have NO IDEA what all that other crap is. If I can’t glance at the face and get the information I want immediately, or with a button press or two, the watch is useless to me.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I am a huge fan of the digital offerings. I wanted one with the day, date, and time crystal clear and easy to read.

The analogs are okay, but I have a really hard time reading it quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
I am a huge fan of the digital offerings. I wanted one with the day, date, and time crystal clear and easy to read.

The analogs are okay, but I have a really hard time reading it quickly.

This one has somehow eluded my grasp. Right up my alley. Multiband 6 is perhaps the greatest feature Casio has introduced into the G-Shock line. Dead-on accuracy updated nightly.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
Wish they had more smaller variants to choose from. Something for the smaller wrists out there who also like a tough watch. 36-38mm perhaps. And doesn’t have Baby G wrote across the top of it! 🙄
Yeah, I agree. I have big wrists, but the largest I’ve ever been willing to go was the GW-9300 (JDM version with multiband and carbon fiber strap). It wears fine on me, but any bigger is a non-starter, Most everything of theirs is huge today. Squres are the sweet spot for me.

·
Registered
565 Posts
This one has somehow eluded my grasp. Right up my alley. Multiband 6 is perhaps the greatest feature Casio has introduced into the G-Shock line. Dead-on accuracy updated nightly.
GW-2310-1. Love the symmetry and the accuracy. Use it to set all my other watches.

I also have this one. It was a gift. In the sun it is almost unreadable, but when you need an orange watch, it’s perfect. (Note, I rarely need an orange watch. ).

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
GW-2310-1. Love the symmetry and the accuracy. Use it to set all my other watches.

I also have this one. It was a gift. In the sun it is almost unreadable, but when you need an orange watch, it’s perfect. (Note, I rarely need an orange watch. ).

For a hybrid, I can get into this watch, as the digital and analog elements aren’t competing much with each other. As for the color, orange is about the only in-your-face color I will consider. I have a Seiko Orange Monster, and it’s one of my favorites. Easy color to spot if you take the watch off (washing your hands, for instance) and not forget it.

·
Registered
Samsung Gear Sport
8,414 Posts
I wish they would offer a smaller analog GPS model. The Gravitymaster GPW-2000 was too big for most folks
/i started discussion long time ago (here) about GPS watches and where Casio should go. Totally on board. GPS should not cost arm and leg and it's not that expensive since 100-150$ Garmin runner GPS has ability to set time by said GPS. Just for time you don't need all complex processing. It's fast, simple and embedded in GPS signal. GPS signal is essentially time with additional metadata. Why functionality which was available in 2011 is still considered premium in 2021... Inertia and watch company mind set.
Casio betting on BT which is cheaper and more potent as far as it's supported.
BT is as cheap as 100$ in battery powered Gs and it's wonderful thing in theory.

It's still good watch but BT is not working any more and it never officially worked on Android.
So watch spent quite a time in the drawer.
Great LCD though. STN like.

·
Registered
5,877 Posts
/i started discussion long time ago (here) about GPS watches and where Casio should go. Totally on board. GPS should not cost arm and leg and it's not that expensive since 100-150$ Garmin runner GPS has ability to set time by said GPS. Just for time you don't need all complex processing. It's fast, simple and embedded in GPS signal. GPS signal is essentially time with additional metadata. Why functionality which was available in 2011 is still considered premium in 2021... Inertia and watch company mind set.
Casio betting on BT which is cheaper and more potent as far as it's supported.
BT is as cheap as 100$ in battery powered Gs and it's wonderful thing in theory.
View attachment 15934071

It's still good watch but BT is not working any more and it never officially worked on Android.
So watch spent quite a time in the drawer.
Great LCD though. STN like.

I do agree that GPS should not cost that much to add to a watch. However when Casio does it on the G-Shocks, they feel compelled to make the watch crazy stupid big. I have an Oceanus GPS model and it is smaller and thinner. Casio should be able to make a smaller G with GPS on it.

As for BT, i am not interested in a Casio BT watch as I need to have my phone around to sync it. If I need the phone to update my watch i might as well own an Apple watch

·
Registered
Samsung Gear Sport
8,414 Posts
I do agree that GPS should not cost that much to add to a watch. However when Casio does it on the G-Shocks, they feel compelled to make the watch crazy stupid big. I have an Oceanus GPS model and it is smaller and thinner. Casio should be able to make a smaller G with GPS on it.

As for BT, i am not interested in a Casio BT watch as I need to have my phone around to sync it. If I need the phone to update my watch i might as well own an Apple watch
I had garmin forerunner 110 and it was rather small 45mm wide by 14mm thick.
modern forerunner 45 is 42X42X11mm. So making something small is not out of question. antennae is still biggest obstacle but full GPS Samsung Galaxy Watch 3 is 41mmX11mm. Both totally within square size. So it's not like you can't fit GPS with antennae into small case. It's Casio choice to fit this functionality into big watches.
All they need is custom GPS module for time synch. It does not need to track location like these in smart or sport watches so should be very simple.
GPS chip size

·
Registered
17 Posts
I am quite liking it, I actually wish they would continue to go even smaller. And specifically release a CasiOak with solar, MB6 and an improved backlight.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Wish they had more smaller variants to choose from. Something for the smaller wrists out there who also like a tough watch. 36-38mm perhaps. And doesn’t have Baby G wrote across the top of it! 🙄
check out the S line!

They’re marketed toward women, and many of the colorways seem to target women, but they’re proper G shocks, not baby G!

61 - 80 of 153 Posts