WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

81 - 100 of 153 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
I gave up on most all digital Gs because they will have a respectably large dial, but with a display you require a microscope to read. I alao find that most ana/digi options are far too busy for my taste.

The GA2100 is a beautiful watch. That said, I wish the digital display were larger. Imo the most nearly perfect G is the GA800. The only changes I would make to it are add MB6 & solar. Will they do it? Not in a million years.

For those who like a large display, the AE1500 is worth every single penny.

I am farsighted so most of the time readong a digital watch without my glasses can be fun.

However to end my rambling rant, over the past several years I have watched the G line go from all digital to a fairly even mix of digital and ana/digi. Then over just the past couple they are moving into pure analog. There is something for everyone at every pricepoint.

There is an ana/digi on F29 that I'd go for if my son's birthday wasn't next week. Hopefully it doesn't sell before I can get it.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
95 Posts
Wish they had more smaller variants to choose from. Something for the smaller wrists out there who also like a tough watch. 36-38mm perhaps. And doesn’t have Baby G wrote across the top of it! 🙄
I completely agree. G-Shocks keep getting larger. When I see them on people's wrists, they are usually too big for the wearers. This is why I am now looking at Baby G. I don't mind it if it has "Baby G" written on it. But if you don't like it, you may want to take a look at the new G-MS line.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I completely agree. G-Shocks keep getting larger. When I see them on people's wrists, they are usually too big for the wearers. This is why I am now looking at Baby G. I don't mind it if it has "Baby G" written on it. But if you don't like it, you may want to take a look at the new G-MS line.

View attachment 15934341
That is snazzy! I like it.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,375 Posts
the beauty and problem with posting on forums is you cant choose or tell ppl how to respond. if youve been around here long enough youd know cc meant his post as matter of factly and that was simply his thoughts and he didnt need to elaborate further just to bolster your thread, which, for someone so adamant about making quality content, can so easily slip into posts ragging on Gs simply cos they made one with lots of colours. real constructive there eh? 🙄👍

That would be extreme, LOL! But different strokes and all . . .

Maybe part of me wants G-Shock to lean heavily toward digital releases because of the nostalgia factor. G-Shocks were introduced when I was a kid, and I had one on my wrist throughout high school. I like my quartz watches to be digital (G-Shocks), and my analogue watches to be automatics (Seiko). I just hate to see the heritage tossed aside, because the digi’s are what made G-Shock the brand they are today.

I think G-Shocks also built a solid reputation for creating reliable tool watches. And I like tool watches (for their functionality). Most of the analogs I see from G-Shock today fail at being a tool watch because so much is crammed into the dial they’re unusable, IMHO. There are some exceptions.

No doubt Casio does their research and responds to emerging trends with products that resonate with their target audience. It’s all part of the cycle…everything will come full circle, I’m sure.
so because of your nostalgia, you dont think a company should grow and expand their line? youre also posting like theyve stopped making cheap digitals altogether, which they havent at all. there are still hundreds of models available, simple digitals in drab boring colours for ppl just like you who dont like change.
youve also got a naive way of thinking and definition of a "tool" watch. theyre all G's and all earned their G rating thru extensive R&D, just cos some ppl choose to look after expensive pieces doesnt mean they all cant take a beating should it be brought upon them. have a look on your favourite used goods site and you'll see MTGs beat within an inch of their visual life but are still going strong.
as you said, not all of them are cluttered, tho when you have a watch with alot of functions you gotta put them somewhere and just cos YOU have problem reading the subdials, doesnt mean other ppl dont.
the irony of wanting smaller watches with bigger subdials is hilarious. once again i get the feeling you and others like you want the G equivalent of this.... but under 40mm of course 🙄

·
Registered
8,375 Posts
But to actually answer your question, I hate when companies go upmarket. As far as I remember, just a few years ago it was a big deal to spend $300 or whatever and the G was something special. Now every other model is pushing a high MSRP and they're churning out more expensive special editions than Omega lol
🤣 🤣 ridiculous lol imagine where companies would be today if they didnt expand and went upmarket. theres seemingly alot of new high end models cos there were none before so of course its going to look like a push but rightly so since theyre selling well, theyd be silly not to run with it.
point to note is theyre still releasing the entry level models too so if you dont like the expensive ones, you can simply not buy them 👍

·
Registered
8,375 Posts
Just look at the frogmans, past and present View attachment 15933903 View attachment 15933905
What is G shock thinking?
they were prob thinking, "analogs are selling really well atm, divers are traditionally analog, lets give that a try and see how it goes" then they prob thought "oh wow, theyre selling well, we should make a few more colours to give everyone more variety"

·
Registered
213 Posts
I have more G-Shocks than I should. I love the brand for everything it represents: durability, accuracy and countless timekeeping features.

However, I’m tired of seeing all the analog and analog/digital hybrids. With a small handful of exceptions, it seems as though the purely digital releases are few and far between. Most releases are hybrids with faces so crammed full of information they’re nearly impossible to read. Then they release them in myriad colorways to appeal to users’ ‘fashion sense.’

They’re pushing aside the singular reason I used to buy them: funtionality/utility. Their former simplicity was their differential advantage in the marketplace. Not so much anymore. I rarely see something coming from G-Shock that isn’t a jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none ho-hummer of a watch. It’s become a ‘meh’ brand to me, and it’s a shame. I want more G-Shocks, but the purely digital designs have been virtually abandoned…

Not trolling. I’m genuinely curious as to whether others feel the same way. Thoughts?
100% agree. I want big chunky cases and full screen dot matrix displays so I can have big digits for my ageing eyes. I want updated 'Techno' models, one based on a GX-56 case would be a dream come true. I want a new digital Frogman using all the size of the D1000 but with full screen dot matrix and a 2 part bezel (like the previous 1000 Frog) to avoid bent pusher anxiety.

·
Registered
108 Posts
The irony of this thread is that in this small sample size of posters, I’m seeing a variety of G-Shocks of all kinds and flavors that can appeal to every niche of G-Shock fan, if you are into G-Shocks. There must be 100x more variety in a line of watches (G-Shock line as a whole) than any other watch line from any other company.

As for legibility, I think the focus of certain watches in the G-Shock line are designed for a specific purpose. Analog hands are very easy to read in terms of time, where absolute precision is not necessary. That is why the information wheels on those watches are secondary, in the background.

The seconds hands on some also act as a compass, so you need a clear seconds indicator. Where exact bearing are needed, you have a digital readout on some models.

The Frogman, let’s face it, for any serious or professional diver, they will be using a dedicated dive clock. The Frogman is for the person who wants a multifunctional watch for the gear head. Quick read of the tides is not exactly a necessity.

You can’t please everyone though. I am actually glad they are expanding the analog/analog-digital models because I like reading hands on a watch, and if there is a digital stopwatch and timer, so much the better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
The last word was preceded by "I'm not trolling" which usually what people say when they know what they said might be considered inflammatory (just like how "I'm not racist, but..." is more often than not followed by something totally racist).

The rest of your post was not so constructive itself, saying G-Shock is becoming a "meh brand", mentioning that you are tired of the designs, insulting people who wear them to express a fashion sense. What sort of support did you expect posting that sort of stuff on a G-Shock forum?

Don't come out of the gate so strongly then get upset when people react to your statements.
+1

Instagram: cap_joao_marques

·
Premium Member
7,382 Posts
Jeez, a lot of these criticisms (not all) just sound like they're coming from angry old men who finally figured out how to plug in their "typin' boxez". You don't like the colors? Don't buy them. They didn't stop making plain dw-5600s. Also, this isn't anything new. Casio didn't just start producing funky colors and collaborations in the last couple of years. Just like any other brand, Casio has definite areas that need improvement, but there is a reason the angry old man brigade isn't part of that process or decision making.

·
Registered
500 Posts
They sometimes appear to be thinking that Fisher Price is their competition,,,at least its digital! View attachment 15933959
I own this watch and like it quite a bit. For someone who complained about people disrespecting their post and allegedly wants to hear about other people’s opinions, you sure are willing to fling insults at those who do not share your very specific tastes.

But you are right, Casio should probably more interested in “heritage” and catering to people who want to buy one basic “tool” watch designed thirty years ago. I mean why should they move forward with new products and cater to silly people like me with disposable income who buy them by the armload (literally) to match our sneakers. Why sell dozens to one person when they could sell just that one perfect one to a more deserving person such as yourself? I guess what you are saying is that Casio probably shouldn’t be focused on selling watches or making money and they should really focus on securing their legacy as the best watch brand of the ‘80s-‘90s. 😄

·
Premium Member
7,382 Posts
I own this watch and like it quite a bit. For someone who complained about people disrespecting their post and allegedly wants to hear about other people’s opinions, you sure are willing to fling insults at those who do not share your very specific tastes.

View attachment 15934731

But you are right, Casio should probably more interested in “heritage” and catering to people who want to buy one basic “tool” watch designed thirty years ago. I mean why should they move forward with new products and cater to silly people like me with disposable income who buy them by the armload (literally) to match our sneakers. Why sell dozens to one person when they could sell just that one perfect one to a more deserving person such as yourself? I guess what you are saying is that Casio probably shouldn’t be as interested in selling watches and they should really focus on securing their legacy as the best watch brand of the ‘80s-‘90s. 😄
Not sure if you heard, but the minute the colors change the shock resistance plummets and it turns into a baby rattle.

·
Registered
540 Posts
🤣 🤣 ridiculous lol imagine where companies would be today if they didnt expand and went upmarket. theres seemingly alot of new high end models cos there were none before so of course its going to look like a push but rightly so since theyre selling well, theyd be silly not to run with it.
point to note is theyre still releasing the entry level models too so if you dont like the expensive ones, you can simply not buy them 👍
Sure, say it's ridiculous. Based on this and your other responses with laugh and eye roll emojis you seem very respectful of other opinions. Plus you even threw in the bulletproof "if you don't like it then don't buy it" argument 👍

Just because say Rolex sells faster than they can make em doesn't mean the little guy like me can't be upset at the prices doubling before their eyes. But if you are all ok with the next gen of Frogmans or whatever to be $1500 then great. I'll just be here singing Casios praises at still throwing me the occasional entry level model

·
Premium Member
7,382 Posts
Sure, say it's ridiculous. Based on this and your other responses with laugh and eye roll emojis you seem very respectful of other opinions. Plus you even threw in the bulletproof "if you don't like it then don't buy it" argument 👍

Just because say Rolex sells faster than they can make em doesn't mean the little guy like me can't be upset at the prices doubling before their eyes. But if you are all ok with the next gen of Frogmans or whatever to be $1500 then great. I'll just be here singing Casios praises at still throwing me the occasional entry level model
To be fair, they're more like half that price, and on top of that, since when have Frogmans ever been part of Casio's affordable line? Also, what does Rolex have to do with anything?

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
I do agree that GPS should not cost that much to add to a watch. However when Casio does it on the G-Shocks, they feel compelled to make the watch crazy stupid big. I have an Oceanus GPS model and it is smaller and thinner. Casio should be able to make a smaller G with GPS on it.

As for BT, i am not interested in a Casio BT watch as I need to have my phone around to sync it. If I need the phone to update my watch i might as well own an Apple watch
I agree with both points. The GPS G's are goofy large and I have no use for BT whatsoever. If I needed a cellphone for a watch to function, I wouldn't wear a watch. While they aren't GPS, I really like the Pro Treks too.

81 - 100 of 153 Posts