WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wasn't a fan at first but a simple strap change changed my mind. When I had this Omega SM300 Titanium on bracelet, the markers seemed a bit off to my eye. When I changed the strap to this barennia tan, the markers came alive and I became a fan! Let's see some faux patina...

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
I know I shouldn't like faux patina (fauxtina), since it is just artificially mimicking aged tritium, but I can't help but love vintage style, and with modern lume we're not going to get the aged lume look naturally, so don't really have a choice but to go with the artificial color. And, if you think about it, why should lume be bright white? Isn't a nice cream color just more appealing on certain watches than a stark bright white?

I toyed for a while with the idea of buying a Sinn or Damasko, but the second I saw a Damasko DB1 with the aged color lume, I knew that was the one for me. A plus was also the fully lumed numbers, which weren't available on the other Damaskos.

·
Registered
733 Posts
If it's done right, yes (Omega Seamaster Master does it right). To me, it's just a more pleasant beige-ish color and I don't necessarily see fake aging when I look at it. It's not like those road-worn guitars where they take a new guitar and put a bunch of chips and scratches on it to make it look old. How long until someone releases a 'road worn' watch with scratches all over it to make it really look vintage (-;.

·
Registered
334 Posts

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
I had never heard of fauxtina before. ....and didn't anticipate an aged look was involved in the lume on a new watch. I felt it was just one of the many colors out there. The look I do like and will continue to view it as an accent on the design of the watch. PS : I hope they don't start making dirty white-walls and fogged headlamps for cars next !!

·
Registered
130 Posts
im an avid guitar collector and relic is all the rage - it actually costs more for new guitars that are aged because the make it and then instead of shipping it out they take tons of time to not just beat it up but to actually make it look like its been played for years - there are natural areas where it happens - same for watches but -- guitars that are road worn tell a story - id like it on a dive watch .... but for business though -- keep it looking new for that

·
Registered
12,891 Posts
My custom strap

the original strap

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Reactions: Virgilv

·
Registered
180 Posts
Given superluminova doesn't actually form any discernible patina, as echoed above we don't really have a choice.

I say bring back tritium!!

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
Not for me - changed too many nappies :). An off-white cream or green can look good. But basically a sort of mid brown colour doesn't do anything. Also not all tritium went brown, basically, sometimes it developed a greenish tint which still looked fresh.

·
Registered
21,068 Posts
Not really, no. I think it can be done right, but a lot of watches come out with "vintage" lume and then a lot of stark white paint on the dial. It's rather jarring and looks awful.

Like this is a horrendous misuse of vintage lume:

Then you have something like the Tudor Ranger, which doesn't have a lot of white on the dial; it actually looks like a vintage watch, not just a new watch that someone painted yellow in some parts:

If you see it, the minute track is actually very close in color to the lume. So it lends a full on vintage aesthetic to the watch. Panerai is pretty good at this too.

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
Yep, that was not a good look. Just taking a regular watch and fitting magnolia lume is lazy, but when you take an especially high-tech brand like Sinn with a crisp, timeless, strongly monochromatic case design and try to make the lume look vintage, it doesn't gel. Tudor fitting straw-coloured lume to the Pelagos looked equally out of place (but then people complained before that the regular stuff was the colour of toothpaste, so...)

·
Registered
233 Posts
im an avid guitar collector and relic is all the rage

I drank that cool-aid by getting a "birthyear" Stratocaster since I wasn't going to pay that kind of money- on the plus side, it is a really nice guitar and some attention was given beating it up and making sure the finishing was there. I also had a top-of-the-line modern Strat, and it was well-made such that a custom shop instrument really wasn't worth the technical differences (playability) but, hey, who else has a shell-ink guitar, hah!

Regarding (faux)patina, I'm cool with it. Earlier asked, who says all superluminova has to be bright/blue white? Yeah, the Seamaster 300 looks like an old model except for its modern size- I don't think it's going to be fooling us or the generally apathetic public that it's vintage. The whole act of wearing an analog watch is vintage.

the closest automobile analogy is the Plymouth Prowler, supposed to look like a 30's roadster but I don't think anyone took the bait...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts