WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
I just got this Steinhart Aviation Automatik and I *love* it, but I already feel like I should sell it. It's 55 mm lug to lug, and I've got a 6.25" wrist, if I'm lucky. I should probably conform to good taste and get something more reasonable, right?
Obvisouly I'd say wear whatever you like as long as you enjoy it. But what you enjoy now might not last. I've had a Helson Skindiver for a while. I absolutely love the watch, unfortunately I almost never wear it because of the 52mm L2L. I've finally admitted to myself that it's too long for my 6.75" wrist and it's just not comfortable. It will probably be up for sale soon as a result. Good luck with yours.

·
Registered
8,522 Posts
I am cursed with a small wallet and love of big pricetag watches.

(although I also do have 6.25" wrists, but plenty of nice size watches for me and very large never appealed anyway)

PS. OP that watch is way too big for your wrist and strap is too long...

Reactions: jrfisher810

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I say wear it now while you still enjoy it. Later down the road your taste might shift to smaller watches then you might consider selling. At least you loved and enjoyed that experience.

I used to burn most of my part time job earning modifying cars back in college days. Do I think it is a waste of money now? Yes. Did I enjoy doing it back then? Yes. I think that's what matters.

Enjoy them while you can buddy.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I just got this Steinhart Aviation Automatik and I *love* it, but I already feel like I should sell it. It's 55 mm lug to lug, and I've got a 6.25" wrist, if I'm lucky. I should probably conform to good taste and get something more reasonable, right?

Follow up question: could I get away with this? https://www.stowa.de/en/Flieger+Klassik+40+Logo.htm - it's 48.6 lug to lug instead of 55, and 40 mm diameter instead of 44 mm.
I have the same size wrist as you. I don't think an extra two inches on the wrist would make a big watch like that notably smaller. If you like it then I would keep it. These big watches are pretty silly if you think about it. But we love 'em!

·
Registered
8,386 Posts
Weat what you like. I like certain smaller watches and I will wear anything I like regardless of size. I suffer from wide wrist. IT is only about 7.6"-7.7" but there is no fat on it so it is not round, it is flat. So I can fit some very large watches on it. In some angles certain watches look tiny.

So like this 50mm watch looks fine:
CASE SIZE: Thickness: 19.50mm Width: 49.00mm (Crown and bezel guards not measured, with bezel guard: 53mm)
Length: 55.00mm Weight: 300 gm (10.5 oz)

This Rolex explorer II 39mm, looks stupidly small from that angle, yet from other angles it looks fine. So I just try not to put my wrist at those stupid angles, lol

·
Registered
808 Posts
First of all, I'll say "wear what you like". You're not asking me to pay for it, make your own decisions. Having said that, my personal private response to every single thread I've read over several years on this and other fora titled "Is this watch too big for me" has been YES YES YES!

Mark

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
I have small wrists 17.5 ish cm but I still wear big watches. That being said sometimes I wear smaller pieces, for example vintage watches and they feel perfect. It generally depends on what mood I'm in, whether to have that wrist presence or a put on and forget feeling. 42/45mm is my upper limit. 50mm is crazy which is why my android hydraumatic chrono 2 had to go.

·
Registered
114 Posts

Follow up question: could I get away with this? https://www.stowa.de/en/Flieger+Klassik+40+Logo.htm - it's 48.6 lug to lug instead of 55, and 40 mm diameter instead of 44 mm.

View attachment 9922530
I've seen much worse!

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
It does look a little big, but that's fine. I have 6.25 inch wrists as well, and I wear a 46mm Breitling Superocean Heritage. However, it's a diver with a thick bezel, which makes the dial look smaller.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I wouldn't say I'm necessarily cursed with a love for big watches. However, I simply cannot wear anything over 40mm, which just crosses off, what, 70% of the market if not more (not counting vintage)? And in some cases it's more like 95% (with chronographs). Can't wear a Navitimer even if I could casually afford it (not that it's my favourite, just an example). The more complications there are, the bigger the watch (unless you take a five-figure price), and that's unfortunate.\

Edit: how do you guys actually measure the wrist? There's a bone sticking out that makes it over 15.5cm (6.1") circumference for me, however if I measure near the bone, I get around 14.9cm (5.9"). Same with lug-to-lug, I have and absolute max of 48mm at the bone, but even less I fear if measured elsewhere.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Edit: how do you guys actually measure the wrist? There's a bone sticking out that makes it over 15.5cm (6.1") circumference for me, however if I measure near the bone, I get around 14.9cm (5.9"). Same with lug-to-lug, I have and absolute max of 48mm at the bone, but even less I fear if measured elsewhere.
For me it makes sense to measure where you'll wear watch. For example, I always wear watch above bone as the most comfortable position for me.

What is more interesting is that wrist changes its width as you rotate it :) Try this:
1st measurement - arm down, forearm strait (it's just natural to keep forearm unrotated when arm is down and relaxed)
2nd measurement - as if you're checking time.
You'll be surprised with difference.

Spoiler: my measurements are 60mm and 50mm.

Don't be too optimistic about 1st measurement. Yes, you can wear a bigger watch when your palm is parallel to your side. However, most of the time palm are rotated inward up to 45 degrees in relaxed position and up to 90 degrees when doing something (think of typing on a keyboard)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Hm I see what you mean. I'll try these at home.

I think in general things would be better if manufacturers dropped most of the diamond-princessy crap they're producing for women, and just made all watches in slimmer/smaller versions. They've stopped dividing glasses into men's and women's and kinda produce stuff for everyone now, and I'd love to see my wife wear, say, a smaller Glashütte Senator Sixties one day, so eh.

·
Premium Member
7,489 Posts
I wouldn't say I'm necessarily cursed with a love for big watches. However, I simply cannot wear anything over 40mm, which just crosses off, what, 70% of the market if not more (not counting vintage)? And in some cases it's more like 95% (with chronographs). Can't wear a Navitimer even if I could casually afford it (not that it's my favourite, just an example). The more complications there are, the bigger the watch (unless you take a five-figure price), and that's unfortunate.\

I wear watches above the wrist bone, like this:

The watch pictured is 48mm--I do have large wrists.

To the topic of this necrothread, the secret is in the lug design. The watch pictured has no lugs--the strap is attached directly to the side of the case.

The top-to-bottom dimension is actually a bit smaller that the side-to-side dimension.

Here's another approach to the same outcome:

Or this 48mm watch, which is shorter top-to-bottom than side-to-side:

Rick "thinking that 39mm Explorer would not look so small with a black strap instead of the white NATO" Denney

21 - 37 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.