• there are other nuts like me (haha)

Votes: 48 64.9%
1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Fortis & Sales Moderator
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I mean, this is really working on my OCD big time. :roll:

they are ALL nice in their own right and each has their own uniqueness so I am not knocking any of them.|>

and Dave (aka Demo) isn't helping one bit with all the phenomenal pics he takes. damn you Dave :-d

There are several that I'd love to have but I have 2 problems...

1) money; I don't have enough of it

2) sizes; I like the bigger stuff and seeing all these killer pieces that are just
a tad smaller than what I like drives me nuts.
I seem to be comfy with long lug to lug lengths and 45mm+ diameters

is there anyone else having this issue?
anyone as mental as me? :-d

some background info:

I have an Arctos SEKM 2000M and its 45mm but more square so it
fits me perfectly; its one serious chunk of steel.
Great finish and super high quality and its German Made. |>

I got a couple Deep Blue 2000M watches lately and they have 46mm bezels
on them so they are about as small as I can go as the lugs taper.
Stan's products are top notch, not bank busters and his service is all that and a bag of chips. |> |> |>

My wrist is 7.5" and flat on top so I can pull off up to 50mm w/o issue.

here is a list of what I have seen that grabs my attention:

Zixen Trimix
first off, Joe Sadri... what a great guy, can't say enough great stuff about him. :-!
I had a 46mm Zinex Trimix GMT before and like an idiot I sold it and miss it
I loved the fit and feel of it on my wrist
the new 44mm ones look great as well but are they gonna feel too small
I know its only 2mm but its a bit shorter too I think.

Korsbek
those watches look sweet but at well over $1k, more like $1500, they are out of my price range when I think of owning multiple micro-brands.
If there was a way to score one of those for <$1k, I'd buy one! |>

Halios Bluering
again, another one that looks cool but with a 44.5mm case and an even
smaller bezel it will feel way small to me since the dial will be smaller
its another one with old school shrouded lugs that looks cool but isn't long

Boschett Cavedweller
again, another looker but too small at 44mm and round
as well, the new WUS DWP that they are creating looks KILLER but its a
case design like an Oris TT1 series wherein its wider at the base and tapers upwards

Benarus Remora
another that looks sweet, especially the one that will have the blue markers
just too small for me with a 42mm bezel
I had a Moray but it was too small to me on the wrist

Orsa Sea Viper
a possibility at 45mm
the blue dial version looks way cool but would it never get worn since its
such a drastic blue?

Artego
looks cool and is way cheap at $350 but almost every pic I have seen of them shows a flaw?!
I mean, I have noticed crooked indices and misaligned bezels.
Is this the case on most of them?
I guess you get what you pay for hunh?

*** any others that are big and not high $ that I might be missing? ***

I like the look of some of the Ocean7 watches but due to a bad experience a few years back, I will not even give a 2nd thought to a purchase.
It left a sour taste in my mouth that will never wash out so no matter how cool their stuff looks I will not buy one.

Lastly, once you have one version of a case that is shared across 2 or 3
different brands its not really worth spending more money for something that is far too similar. (IMO)
Arctos, Helson and Zenton have the same case.
Deep Blue, Wilson Watch Works and Schaumburg have the same case.

Ok, so I know this thread is nothing more than a combination of multiple
other threads and likely a bit redundant but I had to throw my thoughts out there.

Perhaps it all boils down to the possibility that I just need to lose some weight? :-x

thanks for looking at my OCD anal-neurotic post.
:-!

*** Dave, if you read this perhaps you can take a group shot of all the aforementioned watches?
I am sure you likely have one of each in your collection. :-d

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Re: anyone else overwhelmed with all the micro-brand divers?

There are a number of micro-brands I love but I'm in even worse trouble than you as I feel 42-45mm is my sweet spot. And that's the size most of them fall in!

My issue with a number of them is that I find them overpriced and I'd have trouble spending >$500 for one.

Bob

·
Banned
4,512 Posts
I try to keep it simple and have few watches to choose from so these are the only watches i choose from each day
L to R
Helios Halotype, Helios BlueRing, Helson Shark Diver, Ocean 7 LM7

I prefer thinner watches but something about the Helson just makes me wear it as often as the BlueRing.

The Halotype and O7 don't feel thick on the wrist, the Bluering isn't very thick and is so comfortable that I forget i'm wearing it, the Helson is way to thick and feels like it but has a very cool look that I like but I anxiously await the Sharkmaster.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I don't see myself buying a major 'mall' brand watch ever. I will support the micro brands and we are spoiled with cool brands. I am so giddy for my Helson Sharkmaster!

·
Registered
783 Posts
Other than my Rolex Sea Dweller and UTS 1000M V2, the rest of the my stable are watches ranging from 500-700 and I am so impressed with their quality that I can't see spending much more beyond that for any watch nowadays. I have my sights set on my second Deep Blue Master 2000M but this time I am gonna go for the GMT variant. Who knows..a Day/Date variant maybe a possibility too..:-!

Stan

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
I like microbrands a lot they are more unique and I think generally have better or more personal customer service. In some cases they might not always been the most economical but I think they always have an extra something to them that makes it worth it.

If your like me and can't afford watches like Sinn, Korsbek or UTS you might check the used market. I bought a used Kazimon 500 recently that I never could have come close to affording new but it was really in like new condition. There are some great deals out there and there never seems to be shortage of microbrand divers on the market. I was always kind of against buying used watches but the Kazimon experience really made me change my position.

If you are looking for other affordable divers you might look at the Steinhart Triton 100atm it is pretty affordable and it is a very nice diver from a less common brand. It's "next" on my list.

·
Registered
8,370 Posts

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Those Helson Sharkdivers must just be flying out of the factory. It seems like everyone one this forum has one. :-d

·
Registered
9,327 Posts
I can see a Zixen in your future!

Some thoughts on the various pieces you listed, that I actually own as well:

Zixen - most of these are 50-52mm lug-to-lug and will fit your wrist just fine. They are well finished without any sharp edges and are very comfortable. The lume is also fantastic and I love how every new Zinex/Zixen has a fully lumed bezel. Joe is also great to deal with.

Korsbek - you kind have to pay to play with these since they are made by Fricker and that carries with it a higher price of admission - however, I really do feel Fricker makes the finest divers in the world, the Korsbek OE is my all time favorite watch - it ticks all the marks - unbeatable case, lume, great domed crystal, comfortable bracelet..

Halios Bluering
the Bluering is kind of a dressier diver since it has a thin case and a rather thin bezel (its not a "gearcog" like on a Zinex or Korsbek) - the lume is outstanding

Orsa Sea Viper
I was so excited to receive this one since Orsa finally shipped a watch on a factory bracelet. The price is definitely right, and the blue dial is pretty unique. Orsa somehow always manages to pull off the "roulette wheel" dial without looking tacky and this one definitely has some style to it. Downsides: the lume is C1. Once you have watches with great C3, C1 is a bit of a letdown and I really wonder why manufacturers even use it anymore.

·
Registered
795 Posts
I like my Benarus WorldDiver GMT and it comes in at less than $1000 with a mesh bracelet and a bunch of straps. 45MM and pretty long lug to lug.

Also I am certain if you had a CaveDweller on your wrist you wouldn't find it small - it's a beast! And one of the best bracelts I've worn with a ratcheted quick adjusting extension. Pretty amazing for about $600.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I find the more brands there are, the more indistinguishable they become to me. From the company perspective, I think it becomes harder and harder to carve out a niche particularly if the watch is mostly composed of outsourced parts that all the companies have access. Yet, it seems the higher the bar goes, the more the micro-brands seem to be going the extra mile in either trying to offer amazing features/performance at rock-bottom prices or providing unique features that are available in anything but really expensive watch presently.

·
Fortis & Sales Moderator
2,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks guys.
I see from the poll that there are other nuts so I don't feel as bad. ;-)

I looked at the Worldiver but something about the hands and numbers doesn't do it for me?!

I do like the Korsbek Ocean Explorer a lot but with my hookup deal on my Arctos and
the pricing on the Deep Blues for what you get I am a bit reluctant to spend too much
money on one watch when there are so many for way under $1k.
Perhaps if I had one in my hand I might feel different about the purchase?

hopefully some pics will be posted and some other info.

lexvil
thanks for those pics, they really show off the case sizes compared to the
Helson which I am familiar with that style case.

supawabb
thanks for the Helson pics... love that all PVD on that isofrane! HOT!
while I do have the Arctos SEKM that is the same case as the Helson Sharkdiver, but
the bezel is different than my Arctos so perhaps that could be a possibility if I wanted
to add a PVD watch to the group.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
They haven't overwhelmed me, but they sure have overwhelmed my wallet! ;-)

Some bigger micros to try might be these:

Zinex Heliox - has a longer lug length than the Trimix I beleive. The DSR1000 looks like a pretty good size, looks larger because of its rectangular shape.

Benarus Megalodon - Bigger than anything you mentioned above and about as unique as they come.

Dievas Aqualuna - Avant garde design turns off most purists, but this thing is a chunk.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
I feel the same way. There are so many quality watches out there, that I just can't pick. I've owned so many watches these days its become more of a hobby than a passion, and I'm not sure if I like that. The market for affordable divers does not help! :)

But, I absolutely love the Korsbek Oceaneer and anything Zixen is top notch in my eyes. Not taking anything away from the other guys. I like the Bluering a lot, but it's not tall enough for me.

I feel your pain! :-d

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Steve, you may have company, but ya'll are seriously deranged, lol!

paul:-d:-d:-d:-d

·
Registered
9,059 Posts
I find the more brands there are, the more indistinguishable they become to me. From the company perspective, I think it becomes harder and harder to carve out a niche particularly if the watch is mostly composed of outsourced parts that all the companies have access. Yet, it seems the higher the bar goes, the more the micro-brands seem to be going the extra mile in either trying to offer amazing features/performance at rock-bottom prices or providing unique features that are available in anything but really expensive watch presently.
IMO and I don't pretend to be completely familiar with all the boutique watches, the three watch companies that are unique unto themselves (with latitude given for influences blah blah) are Halios, Ocean7, and Zixen.

·
Registered
68 Posts
The more choices out there, the better.
But to me this creates the risk of accumulating a large collection of a bunch of watches that are essentially the same, aesthetically and functionally.
So I enjoy the range of choices, but work hard to resist buying them all.
I just get the occasional one that really speaks to me, and save most of my pennies for the bigger fish.

Eric.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi All:

Longtime lurker finally signed up to give my 2 cents. Some thoughts on micro-brands....

The late Nick Hayek of Swatch wanted to stop supplying parts and movements to many watch companies, I believe to encourage/force them to make their own. If this comes to pass, many micro-brands will need to switch from the ubiquitous ETA 2824 to Miyota, etc. or go under. Too bad, because a lot of these smaller players are making some very nice watches to house the 2824.

Even before this announcement, however, I was attracted to those very few divers with in house / manufacture mechanical movements at a reasonable price, hence my respect and fondness for Seiko and Citizen. However, it appears that even these 2 are moving out of this rather exclusive club, as Seiko moves upmarket and Citizen is rumoured to eventually go exclusively Eco-Drive.

Cheers!
Great Dane

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
It's a bit overwhelming, but I haven't gone off the deep end with them. I like the looks of Helson and the stuff Zixen is putting out is off the chain!!!! I agree with you about DEMO...he takes pictures that are just sick!!!!

This is the only micro brand that I own... :-!

1 - 20 of 107 Posts