WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ran across this on the bay and have the owners permission to use his photo. This is an 11AC 23 jewel movement. The owner said it has an "N1" date code stamped on it. All the information I've seen shows the 11AC movement was made between 1955 and 1958 and only in 17 jewels. The 1971 ABC parts catalog only lists the 11AC in 17 jewels. Did Bulova bring back the 11AC for an encore in 23 jewels and have you ever seen another one?

23Jewel11AC-N1jan312016.jpg

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good chance it's a franken movement.
I thought the same thing at first glance Bobby. But after a closer look I noticed the cap jewels on the train bridge. That's where it's stamped 11AC. A 17 jewel movement doesn't have cap jewels. Thanks for replying. I was beginning to think nobody cared.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I noticed that also. Do you think it may have been modified? Or maybe he is reading the date code wrong. The dial shape looks to be older than 71' to me.
There's a lot of things going on with this watch that makes it confusing. The case is a "M3". I don't know where the dial came from.
1963with2311AC.jpg

I don't have much experience with these newer model Bulovas. My interests have always been pre 1957.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I've seen quite a few 11ANC's the 17 jewel version used in 1970's Fashion watches like the "Long Champ" or the Dior Collection. It's possible someone used parts from on to repair yours, or maybe they used it for a short production run on a Gold model, and now it's somehow ended up in your watch?

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
From what I can tell, the 11ANC is a 70's model movement. These would have been used correctly. The 11AC is 50's model movement which I find difficult to be original to a 70's case. I'm not an expert with bulovas and I surely could be wrong. The movements are a little different and could have been frankened as I suggested. Below is an 11ANC. There is still the question of the OP's movement being 23j and both the 11AC and 11ANC show to be 17j.

Andersok_11ANC1972-1.jpg

·
Registered
582 Posts
From what I can tell, the 11ANC is a 70's model movement. These would have been used correctly. The 11AC is 50's model movement which I find difficult to be original to a 70's case. I'm not an expert with bulovas and I surely could be wrong. The movements are a little different and could have been frankened as I suggested. Below is an 11ANC. There is still the question of the OP's movement being 23j and both the 11AC and 11ANC show to be 17j.

View attachment 6904058
Ahh I see.. I feel a bit silly now lol. But one thing I'd like to point out that I think is neat is that they're not only cap jewels, but they are shock protected just like on a Accutron. Though I understand shock protecting the escape wheel, but what would be the benefit of the 3rd and 4th wheel?

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Ahh I see.. I feel a bit silly now lol. But one thing I'd like to point out that I think is neat is that they're not only cap jewels, but they are shock protected just like on a Accutron. Though I understand shock protecting the escape wheel, but what would be the benefit of the 3rd and 4th wheel?
Maybe to artificially raise the jewel count? Shock protecting those three top and bottom adds six jewels and takes it from a 17j to a 23j. Very fancy. One Seiko 35 jewel movement I saw a write-up on had about 7 flat jewels below the day wheel to "reduce friction" as the day changed.

https://adventuresinamateurwatchfet.../diashock-35-jewels-the-seikomatic-6218-8971/

1 - 11 of 11 Posts