WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be sacrilege, but do any of you ever trim the excess length off of your G-Shock straps? I've got several Gs now, most Muddys that fit great, but my 5600 has strap that is just a bit longer and sticks up and out from the strap loop.

It's beginning to bug the heck out of me, so much so that I'm about ready to take a sharp knife to it and trim the darn thing. Are there any alternatives or better ways to go about this? Does anyone trim?

You know me, I'll probably post a few pics of me hacking the end off my strap - for your viewing pleasure, although I promise not to remove the case back when I trim it! :)

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I can't remember who it was, but someone suggested putting the strap in a vice with two coins, so you can cut the end in a nice neat round profile.

·
Registered
13,279 Posts
I've read of many people cutting chunks off their watch straps. Go ahead a do it.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
The nice thing about resin straps (as opposed to fabric) is that they don't fray when you cut 'em. So you can do a quick-and-dirty job, and try it for length for a few days to make sure it's OK, and then trim it nicely.

One thing to be wary of (and it's pretty obvious, but I mention it because I've done this myself!) is that it can be tempting to trim a little too much off the end. I found that when I did that the end kept escaping from the keeper.

I think 0.5 - 1.0cm of spare strap past the end of the keeper is normally sufficient to keep it in place, unless your keeper isn't very tight, in which case you may need more.

·
Registered
29,512 Posts
I trimmed the band on my G-8000 because the 'sticking up' tail annoyed me. I did a neat enough job, but the very fact that it was trimmed began to annoy me too. So I gave it away, which was a shame because otherwise it was one of my favourites. Obsessionality, eh? ;-)

·
Registered
358 Posts
I've got a small wrist so there is invariably a fair amount of overhand. I cut with an x-acto and use sandpaper to round off the edges so it doesn't look so "hack".

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Yeah, I trim mine. What I do to get a clean, round cut is to take a loose razor blade, the type that fits into a scraper (NOT the notched ones that go into a cutter) and bend it into a curve with two pairs of pliers. Been doing this for years and it always works. Makes a nice cut so your band doesn't look like it was hacked at with a spoon. Be careful not to cut your fingers off, though! :)

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
...Makes a nice cut so your band doesn't look like it was hacked at with a spoon. Be careful not to cut your fingers off, though! :)
You may have noticed the nasty thumbnail that has only just grown back in the "Boiling your Mudman tutorial" - I'll try to keep all my fingers, sound advice. I only have about 1.5cm to trim off the strap so I should be able to do it and make it look clean. Cheers everyone.

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
I cut lots of my G-Shock straps down to size. I usually use a pair of scissors to make a straight cut. Then I use a coarse emery board to round the ends and edges. Afterward, 2000 grit wet/dry paper buffs the cut lines to a nice polish.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I'd just like to second Buzzbait's method. I use this as well, and I've found it's the only way to get a perfectly smooth curve for the strap. After cutting mine with an exacto knife, it didn't look the same ... the resin was shiny black where I cut it, and the sharp edge looked weird. After rounding it with an emery board and polishing it, it looked like the end from the piece I'd just cut off. You'll want to bevel the end (if you're obsessive) so that it matches the original curve, and an emery board's the way to do it.

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
That looks awesome Buzz!

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I usually use a pair of scissors to make a straight cut. Then I use a coarse emery board to round the ends and edges. Afterward, 2000 grit wet/dry paper buffs the cut lines to a nice polish.
Awesome, now you're talking my language. I'll try to post some shots of me doing this when I get some spare time. Spectacular work by the way, good to see other folks as obsessive as myself.

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
The only strap I've ever trimmed was on G-8000 but after that trimmed part started annoying me beyond belief, so eventually I gave 8000 away...

Such a shame... 8000 was ALMOST perfect G for me... ALMOST... strap and hard to press buttons were my ONLY complaints... :-(

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I was about to comment on how ugly a cut resin strap would look (as st_burt pointed out, with the shiny part showing and lack of uniformity), but damn, that trimmed G-9000 looks great Buzzbait. Good information for getting that clean look, I know I've had a few watches whose straps I wanted to trim (Seiko Divers anyone?) . . . but was too paranoid about how crappy the end result would look. :-d

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
Hehehehe.... Thanks for the compliments, everybody. We pencil-wristed nerds have to go the extra mile to look good in a watch. :-d:-d:-d

·
Registered
49 Posts
I trimmed the band on my G-8000 because the 'sticking up' tail annoyed me. I did a neat enough job, but the very fact that it was trimmed began to annoy me too. So I gave it away, which was a shame because otherwise it was one of my favourites. Obsessionality, eh? ;-)
I can understand that. It isn't strap related, but when I got my first 5600, I wanted to play around with it. I removed the bezel and in the process, came close to stripping one of the screws. I got the watch apart, did nothing to it, and put it back together with no real problems, but the thought that a rank incompetent such as myself had been at the watch and nearly stripped a single screw annoyed me so much I got another 5600 the next day. All so I wouldn't have to deal with those minor flaws I inflicted upon its predecessor.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
I saw some g-shcks on ebay that looked like they were cut with a hacksaw:rodekaart. I cringed as I was reading these posts.... then buzz posted that pic and feel a lot better. Nice work!!:-!

edit...
No I have never cut any of mine.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts