WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always loved old watches, and this is my first Russian watch. It is a 17 jewel manual winding Vostok Boctok from the early 1950's.
I would like to find out more about it, but can't find any info on this specific watch. Is anyone familiar enough with this specific model to comment on its quality, rarity, value, etc?

Attachments

·
Registered
733 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I am not familiar with that model, but it is a nice looking vintage.|>

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the comments. I know this watch isn't in "pristine" condition, but I would love to read anyone's comments. It looks like a lot of the watches in this forum are divers and aviator. Is this simple red faced of the same quality? Is it a pretty common Russian time piece?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Oasisb-) I just hope it's not a hodge-podge of spare parts. I'm still learning about these watches. I'm fairly confident that the back cover is not original, but as far as I can tell the rest of it seems to be:-s

Attachments

·
Mod. Russian, China Mech.
19,184 Posts
Thanks Oasisb-) I just hope it's not a hodge-podge of spare parts. I'm still learning about these watches. I'm fairly confident that the back cover is not original, but as far as I can tell the rest of it seems to be:-s
While the English-signed caseback does not match the Russian-signed dial, the parts do fit together inasmuchas they are from domestic and export versions of the same watch. This watch was also exported as 'Sekonda'. It's not rare, but there's a lot to find interesting in it.

The Chistopol calibre 2209 entered production about 1963/64, and the 'ChChZ' stamp suggests that this was a relatively early watch to bear the 'Vostok' brand i.e. before their domestic brands (Almaz, Kama, Volna, etc.) were consolidated into vostok only. The 2209 seems to have been developed primarily for military production, however its 22mm diameter and general thinness conform to an early 1960s industry trend (e.g. Poljot/Vympel 2209, Raketa 2209, Zarja 2209) towards smaller man-sized calibres suitable for thin dress watches. This particular example demonstrates this brilliantly with its skinny lugs, full-width dial and undercut case with the back barely clearing the movement. The idea is to take a thin watch and make it seem even thinner.

The movement has a rather unusual train layout that has a bit of history behind it. The Swiss Zenith company designed their legendary calibre 135 specifically to win chronometer trials. It used a decentralized 2nd wheel (an idea Zenith used earlier on the 133 auto) to allow more space for mainspring and balance wheel. The Chistopol Watch Factory copied this idea (calibre 2803) and then made it more useful (2809) by shifting the 3rd wheel such that it could drive a centre-seconds pinion as well as the 4th wheel. Thus it was an indirect minutes, indirect seconds train. But what is particularly interesting is that they went on to design the much smaller calibre 2209 with the same unconventional layout in order to make the most of the available space. That is, having mastered this concept once, they used the experience to turn out one of their most successful calibres. Just for good measure, the 2209 was often fitted with a Breguet overcoil hairspring.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Back cover seems original, but if this is the the back of the watch in the first post then the dial has been changed. This dial appears to be from a 2409.

I'm not sure about the last picture, but it seems to be the same case design (there is more than one 2209 case that looks like this from the front). Thanks to rproch for the use of the pictures.

b0r15

ps the jewel count is the real giveaway

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Chascomm, Thank you very much for the wealth of knowledge! That was a lot of good info that I did not know about these watches.

b0r15andc0, Great observation on the jewels! All 3 photos I posted in this thread are from the same watch, so it more than likely is a 2409 dial on a 2209.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Chascomm, you mentioned the watch's 22mm diameter; I haven't received the watch yet, but its description claimed:
17 jewels
Caliber: 2209
S/n: 65143
Length of body: 40 mm
Diameter of dial: 30 mm
Thickness: 9 mm

I know 17 jewels is incorrect, as b0r15andc0 pointed out the movement is stamped 18 jewels. However, the seller claimed a body length of 40mm & diameter of 30mm... he is ebay seller tudeski74. Any thoughts?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts